Author Topic: Is this idea even possible?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Is this idea even possible?
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »
I was pondering how special event designers could replicate tank battles without needing a single player to up a tank. This is encourage the use of anti-tank aircraft in events, like FSO. The idea is to condense the attackers into the same reletive area.

I'm going to the Battle of Kursk as an example to help illustrate what I'm goin for here.

Using custom textures, take the large airfield and turn it into an open field where tank objects are arranged as to appear in battle against each other. Il-2's and Ju87G-2's could make gun passes on static tanks at low altitude. It would be like straffing a bunker on an airfield, only because the object is a tank, the player would have an entirely different experience. It would feel like a much bigger battle. I'm thinking maybe up to 50 tank objects per field.

This could be set up on of two ways:

1. Field is set up to be a neutral country, where both side attack. If possible here, make unique ojbects for both German and russian tanks. making each side target only the enemy tanks. Drawbacks are limited airspace, and any ack would fire at the closest plane regardless of side. Also tallying the points would be difficult without any way of distinguishing a German tank form a Soviet one.

2. Have side speciffic bases butt against eachother as to appear as one large battle. With this you can set up the auto-ack, and it would only shoot at enemies. The drawbacks here are that to have speciffic tank models, you need two custom fields: one German, the other Soviet.  so souble the custom objects in the terrain. Although, the tallying of points would be much easier.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Is this idea even possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Entirely possible, except for the points.  Would make a fun night though.  I can build the terrain while you organize the event & we could run it one night in the AvA.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
Set the tanks as town buildings.
Set a maproom for each side. Standard airfields can be behind each front line.
Install and harden the tanks (town buildings) in the TE instead of the OE.
When enough tanks (town buildings) are killed, the white flags apear. No logs needed. Winner declared.
Reset all the tanks, rinse and repeat.

It sounds pretty good actually. I'd like to play it a few times with airsupport included after the first couple of rounds.
 :devil
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
You might need custom objects. I don't believe you can change the hardness of the standard tank shapes.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
Yes, you're right jimson. It will need custom objects for the tanks as we don't have any in the TE.

What are you doing next weekend?
 :devil
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
Well, I suppose I could finish these. They are simple and unimpressive but would do the job:

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
At 3000 feet and 400 mph, I don't think anyone is going to see much detail, but I know how it is when your name is on something.

:rofl
No excuses now Ranger.
 :bolt:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:09:00 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »