Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
Is this possible?
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
A lot of our aircraft have breaks in the wind screen where the cross bars and such are. There are technical names feel free to add them. That being said it is an area where there could be a rear facing mirror with a small look to the rear. Most fighter pilots had a mirror of sorts. Most added by crew chiefs. I'm not sure of the limitations of the system or game but think this would be a useful tool.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
A lot of our aircraft have breaks in the wind screen where the cross bars and such are. There are technical names feel free to add them. That being said it is an area where there could be a rear facing mirror with a small look to the rear. Most fighter pilots had a mirror of sorts. Most added by crew chiefs. I'm not sure of the limitations of the system or game but think this would be a useful tool.

I think it might be possible with the new terrain engine, because they have reflections shown in house/store windows.

+1 if they can  :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
This has been requested for years.  The reason they dont do it is because of the frame rate hit you would get. 

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »
Is it the display that hits frame rate or the system figuring out what to display?  I expect its the figuring out part since 500 pixels of whats in front of you is probably no easier to display than if its replaced by 500 pixels of whats behind you.

^^^ Hows that for tech speak :D
AMAX  in game

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Is it the display that hits frame rate or the system figuring out what to display?  I expect its the figuring out part since 500 pixels of whats in front of you is probably no easier to display than if its replaced by 500 pixels of whats behind you.

^^^ Hows that for tech speak :D

The figuring out part.  Basically the short version is, it would have to figure out what to display twice, not once, when the rearview mirror was visible.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
The figuring out part.  Basically the short version is, it would have to figure out what to display twice, not once, when the rearview mirror was visible.

Wiley.

I think looking behind me, thoroughly and often, is just as useful.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »
If it is a frame rate issue and not a coding or software structure issue then make it an option that can be disabled or enabled on the clipboard. Some people have built top notch gaming towers just for the purpose of simulator usage like this one or VATSIM. If their systems can handle the process load then it should be an option if it is a historical accuracy for the aircraft in question.
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"