Author Topic: GV Special Range Communications  (Read 396 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
GV Special Range Communications
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
It would be nice if there was another range button that could be pressed to send voice comms only to GV's within range.  There is a LOT of chatter in a big fight sometimes and it's very distracting.  If GV'ers have specific voice comms that aircraft in the area should hear, then they could use the standard voice comms. 

This wish also applies to aircraft, there should be a flight only voice comms so GV'ers don't have to be distracted from comms that do not concern them.

So specifically, this wish is for a "Vehicle/Aircraft" specific range, in addition to the standard range.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: GV Special Range Communications
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
+1  :aok
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
I understand in concept what your wish is attempting to accomplish, however, how would it be implemented.  What exactly do you expect the pilot flying overhead to receive on his voice channels? Tunable VOX, triggered by the T key and Local VOX triggered by F12 key and now you add air to air priority vox channel triggered by “x” key and  vehicle to vehicle priority vox triggered by “y” key.  So at any time, you might have 4streams of conversations taking place .  I guess I’m not seeing how that helps.

Also I don’t think the problem in the game is with a lack of channels for communications, it’s the nature and content of the communications that already exists that causes the problem.  People lack self-control and rarely practice good communications .  The 113th Lucky Strikes uses a squad vox and we practice family friendly voice communications.  We use squad text for none game chat and vox for squad operations.  I do think there is merit in having a local channel that is de-tunable.  What might be a good approach is to have a tunable vox channel, "T" Key and make f12 tunable as well, a standard operation might be that on each side/country the f12 channel might be tuned to the local field ID where  People are operating out of.  An example, Pilots and GV's operating to defend A6 would tune the F12 vox to A6 or not tune it but leave it tuned to Off.   Pilots attacking V243 might decide to  tune the f12 vox to V243 for local vox communications or again decide to have it turned off. 

Again I see the major problem with communications in AH not being a lack of vox channels but  the lack of self-control of the AH base of players.     
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
Range just needs to have two selections. So the text buffer could have Range Air and Range Ground. Select the appropriate one for whatever you are doing..

Its pretty annoying to be in air combat and trying to communicate via Range and you can't get a word in.

Im pretty sure its the same way for GV guys when a bunch of planes start fighting nearby and they have to listen to all the air combat chatter.

Win / Win.. just split range channel.

+1

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
Range just needs to have two selections. So the text buffer could have Range Air and Range Ground. Select the appropriate one for whatever you are doing..

Its pretty annoying to be in air combat and trying to communicate via Range and you can't get a word in.

Im pretty sure its the same way for GV guys when a bunch of planes start fighting nearby and they have to listen to all the air combat chatter.

+1

There still needs to be a complete range channel for both air and ground for those that are working together.

This may be the best wish yet!  +1
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
I understand in concept what your wish is attempting to accomplish, however, how would it be implemented.  What exactly do you expect the pilot flying overhead to receive on his voice channels? Tunable VOX, triggered by the T key and Local VOX triggered by F12 key and now you add air to air priority vox channel triggered by “x” key and  vehicle to vehicle priority vox triggered by “y” key.  So at any time, you might have 4streams of conversations taking place .  I guess I’m not seeing how that helps.

Also I don’t think the problem in the game is with a lack of channels for communications, it’s the nature and content of the communications that already exists that causes the problem.  People lack self-control and rarely practice good communications .  The 113th Lucky Strikes uses a squad vox and we practice family friendly voice communications.  We use squad text for none game chat and vox for squad operations.  I do think there is merit in having a local channel that is de-tunable.  What might be a good approach is to have a tunable vox channel, "T" Key and make f12 tunable as well, a standard operation might be that on each side/country the f12 channel might be tuned to the local field ID where  People are operating out of.  An example, Pilots and GV's operating to defend A6 would tune the F12 vox to A6 or not tune it but leave it tuned to Off.   Pilots attacking V243 might decide to  tune the f12 vox to V243 for local vox communications or again decide to have it turned off. 

Again I see the major problem with communications in AH not being a lack of vox channels but  the lack of self-control of the AH base of players.     

I'm not saying it is currently a "problem", which is a strong word, I am only suggesting a way to improve the communication lines in large combat zones.  What you are suggesting is close to my wish, but you wouldn't need both an "x" and "y" for planes and vehicles, but rather an "x" for Plane/Vehicle specific.  If you roll an airplane "x" will automatically tune you to other aircraft.  Vice versa for vehicles.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »

+1

BluBerry, I don't think split range by itself is a good idea, because GV and airplanes need to communicate too, which is why I think the standard "ovrall range" should not change, and players would learn when it is appropriate to use it versus the vehicle specific.  In the air, when you actually hear GV chatter you may pay closer attention since it might be more applicable to you.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
This is a solid gold wish.  +1000

The absolute insanity of trying to coordinate with wing-mates in a dog fight while some drunk guy that apparently smokes 4.6kg of raw asbestos every day is just going on and on about how his window unit fell off his trailer and killed his neighbors Possum named Carlos the Biscuit Smuggler makes me:
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
BluBerry, I don't think split range by itself is a good idea, because GV and airplanes need to communicate too, which is why I think the standard "ovrall range" should not change, and players would learn when it is appropriate to use it versus the vehicle specific.  In the air, when you actually hear GV chatter you may pay closer attention since it might be more applicable to you.

People have trouble splitting channels though.  People are used to "This is the button I push to say something to the people around me." and they don't want to have to take the time to make a choice about whether what they have to say is pertinent to air or ground.  I think you'd find the GV guys would just use the general one anyways.

It's a splendid idea, if people were to use it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Again I see the major problem with communications in AH not being a lack of vox channels but  the lack of self-control of the AH base of players.    

You're right, but outside of your friends and squad mates it's hard to expect people who you have zero influence over to shut up when you need them to. This is not just an AH problem, it's a problem in every other game I've ever played where voice communication is built in.  Some people just want to hear themselves talk.  So we can either build some separate channels or we can all run around repeating, "combat comms!" over and over.

I don't want to repeat "combat comms!" over and over.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »
I'm not saying it is currently a "problem", which is a strong word, I am only suggesting a way to improve the communication lines in large combat zones.  What you are suggesting is close to my wish, but you wouldn't need both an "x" and "y" for planes and vehicles, but rather an "x" for Plane/Vehicle specific.  If you roll an airplane "x" will automatically tune you to other aircraft.  Vice versa for vehicles.

OK, so you are talking about three voice channels, "T" as it now works, f12 all local voice traffic, and "x" as either be a local aircraft to aircraft or vehicle to vehicle, three streams of chatter, with the current player base, I don't see how it improves communications, but I do understand how it could if people would just practice better radio discipline.  I'd only support it if there was a off selection.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
You're right, but outside of your friends and squad mates it's hard to expect people who you have zero influence over to shut up when you need them to. This is not just an AH problem, it's a problem in every other game I've ever played where voice communication is built in.  Some people just want to hear themselves talk.  So we can either build some separate channels or we can all run around repeating, "combat comms!" over and over.

I don't want to repeat "combat comms!" over and over.  

Would be nice if there was an off setting.   The primary VOX can be de-tuned, but f12 is on all the time, would be nice to have an off selection.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »

I don't think we should eliminate an "overall range" either.. but having the ability to select between Range / Range Air / Range Ground would be nice. Switching to any channel would obviously mute the other two.

"Overall range" could monitor both Range Air and Range Ground for example.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
Would be nice if there was an off setting.   The primary VOX can be de-tuned, but f12 is on all the time, would be nice to have an off selection.

That would be a quick fix I guess, but personally, I would still want to be able to hear relevant info over range.  Shutting it off because people won't STFU just further decreases my already lacking SA.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
That would be a quick fix I guess, but personally, I would still want to be able to hear relevant info over range.  Shutting it off because people won't STFU just further decreases my already lacking SA.

I agree that relevant information is always helpful, however, I'd still like to be able to shut it off.  I understand that individuals can be squelched, that's my basic solution to the profane but I would love to be able to shut it off.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes