Author Topic: A strange perception of the DA  (Read 8840 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A strange perception of the DA
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
worrying about F3 view is laughable...sorry R105....that's a lame excuse not to go...anyone worth his salt will not be in F3 :aok

and those that use it will have no ACM knowledge and will still be easy to kill....(for the most part)

been flying in AH since tour 52....so many DA fights it would be impossible to count them....

never have I used F3.

Offline noobnite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
Just my two cents...
I have really enjoyed my time in the DA. I am no where near a skilled fighter pilot, and get my butt handed to me on a frequent basis. However, I have learned alot about ACM participating in Kill the Crab, and have noticed the general good banter both on VOX and in the text buffer. I generally avoid the lake, and fly in death canyon. My point being, if you are flying in the DA, and a few squaddies and maybe a couple "old school" players about, a good fight and good time can be had.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Nrshida being one of said skilled pilots.  :old:

I still remember, very fondly, the day that he saw me over the DA lake fighting (and flying) poorly. Nrshida then was so nice as to offer to take me to a private field and teach me some basic flying skills.  He spent much time with me, was super nice and pointed me to some things to read up on.

Following his every instruction, I admit I was in awe of him, especially since he was a member of The Few, which I had heard was the BEST squad in Aces High. For a member of The Few to take the time to be so nice to me, a nooby, was just awesome. My eyes start watering thinking about it again.  :cry

I have a special place in my heart for Nrshida for this reason, and always will.  :)

I was so honoured that he would take his time and be so nice to someone just out of the goodness of his heart. :aok

Nrshida, I <3 you for that moment and making me feel special and welcome.   :salute

May others be as blessed one day as I was on that special day.  :cheers:

Nrshida,  :rock

PS: I will never let time nor events come between Nrshida and me and our special time together no matter what has happened since he and The Few parted.  To me, Nrshida will always be a member of The Few and their great tradition and niceness.

I'll be perfectly honest with you Midway. After my son was born prematurely I was away from the game and normal life for three months - and it was a hard three months. I watched four premature babies die in our ward and thought ours was going to die on two occasions. I watched him puffed up on Morphine one night on a ventilator waiting for it. Sat up all night, couldn't look away. Life was no longer care-free nor relaxed. Everything was pressure, consequential and important.

When we came home and I was able to return to flying I embraced it as a sort of normalcy, something to balance my recent experiences. I also decided to try and learn some other aircraft and was derping around one night in a Bf109G-14 with a drop tank and everything. I ran into your high Spitfire Mk IX three times on climb-out initially afk I think. The first two times sub-e, heavy, unprepared and trying to fly the 109 like my Ki-84 I was slaughtered as one might expect.

Then you wrote on 200: 'I remember, when you taught me how to Immelmann. Now I can pwn you at will'. There were even comments from other players, telling you to steady on. The third fight went less well as I got a better position and you tore your own wings off in a very high G turn. Do you remember that incident?

Well I felt very betrayed and offended by what you said and regretted helping you to the point where I haven't helped anyone since.

It took me a year to piece my life and flying back together after the premature birth of Tiny Shida. I don't know that I've forgiven what I considered a rude and undeserved comment that evening. I have naturally learned a lot about other people through this game, what they think, how they think.

What I still find fascinating however about this activity, above all, is what you learn about yourself. Your comments bugged me enough to look into myself and see why. Since that night I have done nothing but disassemble and reassemble my ACM. I learned to not care about performance, the result, the victor or the loser. I no longer value shooting an opponent in a skill-v-skill fight. I discovered something more rewarding. That one learns more through defeat than victory, how to research and develop my own ACM, how to advance my technique, how to approach this activity with a sport psychologically.

I fly now with a liberation and serenity I never had before. I don't care to be quantified or evaluated against another pilot. AH flying is for me the Zen activity I wanted it to be. I am centred, alone, content.

So ironically I have learned more from you, than you ever did from me.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Just my two cents...
I have really enjoyed my time in the DA. I am no where near a skilled fighter pilot, and get my butt handed to me on a frequent basis. However, I have learned alot about ACM participating in Kill the Crab, and have noticed the general good banter both on VOX and in the text buffer. I generally avoid the lake, and fly in death canyon. My point being, if you are flying in the DA, and a few squaddies and maybe a couple "old school" players about, a good fight and good time can be had.

So have you seen, like polluted others, any unfair advantages other than what you would expect?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »

I'll be perfectly honest with you Midway. After my son was born prematurely I was away from the game and normal life for three months - and it was a hard three months. I watched four premature babies die in our ward and thought ours was going to die on two occasions. I watched him puffed up on Morphine one night on a ventilator waiting for it. Sat up all night, couldn't look away. Life was no longer care-free nor relaxed. Everything was pressure, consequential and important.

When we came home and I was able to return to flying I embraced it as a sort of normalcy, something to balance my recent experiences. I also decided to try and learn some other aircraft and was derping around one night in a Bf109G-14 with a drop tank and everything. I ran into your high Spitfire Mk IX three times on climb-out initially afk I think. The first two times sub-e, heavy, unprepared and trying to fly the 109 like my Ki-84 I was slaughtered as one might expect.

Then you wrote on 200: 'I remember, when you taught me how to Immelmann. Now I can pwn you at will'. There were even comments from other players, telling you to steady on. The third fight went less well as I got a better position and you tore your own wings off in a very high G turn. Do you remember that incident?

Well I felt very betrayed and offended by what you said and regretted helping you to the point where I haven't helped anyone since.

It took me a year to piece my life and flying back together after the premature birth of Tiny Shida. I don't know that I've forgiven what I considered a rude and undeserved comment that evening. I have naturally learned a lot about other people through this game, what they think, how they think.

What I still find fascinating however about this activity, above all, is what you learn about yourself. Your comments bugged me enough to look into myself and see why. Since that night I have done nothing but disassemble and reassemble my ACM. I learned to not care about performance, the result, the victor or the loser. I no longer value shooting an opponent in a skill-v-skill fight. I discovered something more rewarding. That one learns more through defeat than victory, how to research and develop my own ACM, how to advance my technique, how to approach this activity with a sport psychologically.

I fly now with a liberation and serenity I never had before. I don't care to be quantified or evaluated against another pilot. AH flying is for me the Zen activity I wanted it to be. I am centred, alone, content.

So ironically I have learned more from you, than you ever did from me.

That is the essence of Midway Shida and that is why his words are, have always been, and will forever be hollow.  Pandering to the vacant-minded for approval with the drought-filled sensitivity to the game.

There's an old-school baseballism....you don't just respect the players, you respect the game.  He feigns both for the approval of the masses much like a few come to the rescue of others from their BBS idiocy.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
well said shida.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »

:lol
you have to admit as much, snail... you've been top ranked, and yet I nor anyone I know has any idea of your abilities in an equal 1 vs 1...  curiosity deserves as much...  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »
I've committed genocide on 100's of snails in my back garden.    Nobody tell him!    :old:

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »
all this talk of shadow
who is shadow?

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
F-3 mode is used in the DA by most who come there no matter how much the say they don't. That is how they make those fantastic deflection shots in there you never see in the MA or move at just the right time to avoid your fire.
you are completely wrong about this assumption... f3 mode is a hamperance... I can find no good reason for it... unless you are in a bomber, it is absolutely useless...

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »
who is shadow?

shadow was skyrr's FA nick

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »
who is shadow?

skyyr's ID from 12 years ago.    ;)

and he was a naughty boy back then too.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:27 AM »
But that's not what grizz said. He said you can see the views the other player is using in your own film, which you can't.  :)

Gah.  My mistake then.  R-105 if you ever want to mix it up in the DA, feel free to come sometime and we can send you a zip file of all our sorties and you can review with a fine toothed comb to see if we used F3 mode.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
who is shadow?

Skyrr....who happened to have a very rough night last night ;) :rofl and who seems to have quieted down quite a bit over the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:21:48 AM by Changeup »

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
I can't even fly in F3 mode.  I get too disoriented.  I can't tell at all when I've hit the top of my loop for instance.
and this says it all... it is completely worthless and would only be helpful in a plane that had no views...