Author Topic: A strange perception of the DA  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: A strange perception of the DA
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
What's the general format?

We pick a vox channel. 1vs1 only, call out the plane you want to fight. Cold merges on the deck. No hoing.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
We pick a vox channel. 1vs1 only, call out the plane you want to fight. Cold merges on the deck. No hoing.

:aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I think he was referencing what happened when another plane matched your E state, not just his.    

Are you referring to your 262? Because I'm pretty sure your higher-e-state jet met my high-explosive 30mm's  :devil
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:56:53 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Are you referring to your 262? Because I'm pretty sure your higher-e-state jet met my high-explosive 30mm's  :devil

It's true.  That happened.  Dude set my one aileron jet on fire in a stall fight.

Tell them what happened when all my pieces were attached.   :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »

It flew?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
Skyyr came over from Fighter Ace, so  he's probably not an old AH hand "shading" nor a noob.

I've found him to be a good stick, I say as someone who has been flying AH since 2006 and read my copy of "Fighter Combat" by Shaw until it is falling apart.

He's also nice enough to show you what he knows, his pointers on managing my energy better during reversals were helpful.

Vraciu I ran into in a P-51D the other day, while flying a P-51 of my own. I thought he was a new pilot and he was about to die until OOPS, pulled up with just enough E to deny me a guns solution and then was back down on me. Not your standard boom and zoom plus obvious rope, much more devious. Sawed off my rudder and probably would have won if we hadn't collided during the scissors. Not too bad.

I've also been flown with Skyyr, Vraciu, Kruel, and Fess into superior numbers of bandits and seen them all go with all of us left standing. Fun guys to fly with.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
It's true.  That happened.  Dude set my one aileron jet on fire in a stall fight.
It was actually a 4v1 ;) I also shot down a Hurricane. The Mustang and LA-7 eventually got me.

You got me in 2v1, when you were flying wing with Blueberry (who was also in a 262).  :aok
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
To recap:

We've gotten some good and poor answers on why not to go to the DA.  What are something's that can be done to generate real interest in making the DA more appealing from a player perspective?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
To recap:

We've gotten some good and poor answers on why not to go to the DA.  What are something's that can be done to generate real interest in making the DA more appealing from a player perspective?

Or maybe make the TA more appealing. This is supposed to be about playing aerial chess to the best of our ability, yet to a large extent it is not anymore...
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
Skyyr came over from Fighter Ace, so  he's probably not an old AH hand "shading" nor a noob.

I've found him to be a good stick, I say as someone who has been flying AH since 2006 and read my copy of "Fighter Combat" by Shaw until it is falling apart.

He's also nice enough to show you what he knows, his pointers on managing my energy better during reversals were helpful.

Vraciu I ran into in a P-51D the other day, while flying a P-51 of my own. I thought he was a new pilot and he was about to die until OOPS, pulled up with just enough E to deny me a guns solution and then was back down on me. Not your standard boom and zoom plus obvious rope, much more devious. Sawed off my rudder and probably would have won if we hadn't collided during the scissors. Not too bad.

I've also flown with Skyyr, Vraciu, Kruel, and Fess into superior numbers of bandits and seen them all go with all of us left standing. Fun guys to fly with.

What a wonderful compliment.  Cannot thank you enough for it.   It was a great fight...and long before it you treated me with respect on these forums against the horde.   A sign of character and a trait I respect tremendously.  <S>

But you were gonna' win that scissors I suspect.  :)

Your assessment of my comrades is spot on.  Good guys.  All of whom have enjoyed flying with you, sir, fwiw.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:53:01 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
It was actually a 4v1 ;) I also shot down a Hurricane. The Mustang and LA-7 eventually got me.

You got me in 2v1, when you were flying wing with Blueberry (who was also in a 262).  :aok

This is false.

When you dove on me Pepprr was the only Knight within 10k of me and she was outside of icon range.  You strangely tried to follow a jet in a zoom climb and stranger still tried to outrun one in a dive.  You did wiggle your wing a little before it fell off though.  

Your math is a bit off for the second engagement.  I was 2k out when the Hurricane fell victim to your rope.  There was an La7 there with him, plus me.  So for the sake of argument I'll give you 2 v 1, but with your substantial E advantage, the Hurricane and the La were no threat to you.  You see me and again believe a 152 can out zoom a jet... but alas, I missed a 200 yard tater right before you fell under my nose.  The rest of the fight was was just a series of poor shots and sluggish maneuvers on my part.    :o

I can send you the film if you like.   :)

P.S. - That La was out of ammo.  Does that still count?

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
Or maybe make the TA more appealing. This is supposed to be about playing aerial chess to the best of our ability, yet to a large extent it is not anymore...

Now this I agree with and would like to hear some suggestions!

Besides in the TA you spend more time flying and fighting and less time in the tower selecting a new plane!  You dont have to shoot the other guy down to know who won or lost and Ho's dont matter because there's no damage so you can politely say to the other guy"that wasnt nice". :aok

I suppose there's a certain satisfaction in shooting the other guy down in a long drawn out fight but it's really just an ego stroke and IMHO if you truely want to learn you must set aside the ego if only for an hour or so!

YMMV.

:salute

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Less ego= more fun..not that I'm not guilty of whining on 200 but I kept trying to remember why this game was Soooooooo Much fun 10 years ago and now it's more frustrating than fun...it's my 10 year ego with my 2 weeker flying skills..so I'm making my enemies my friends..at least on my end.now it's all fun with gentle ribbing..thank you friends lol :salute ..but then again who the hell am I? :banana:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:27:16 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
Less ego= more fun..not that I'm not guilty of whining on 200 but I kept trying to remember why this game was Soooooooo Much fun 10 years ago and now it's more frustrating than fun...it's my 10 year ego with my 2 weeker flying skills..so I'm making my enemies my friends..at least on my end.now it's all fun with gentle ribbing..thank you friends lol :salute ..but then again who the hell am I? :banana:

A guy with the attitude I wish I had.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »

General rule is always leave the ego at the door in the DA 1v1s... Some folks like to get all worked up and wanna pet their ego but generally that doesn't last long.. Some folks think jus because they beat so and so on some particular night they are always better.. Lots of misconceptions.. Most think when Muppets throw out the DA? comment they are chest pumping.. When actually on squad chan we are just looking for some fun and hope to type, 'I got one!!'...  Not too often do we throw it out when already having fun..
- TWBYDHAS