Author Topic: How about cutting HTC a break on the BBS  (Read 9520 times)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
Re: How about cutting HTC a break on the BBS
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
they are the ones they get their head chopped off, not us.

I get my head chopped off daily at work, for things not even under my responsibility. Hiding is not a good PR strategy. If things change tell us, if they don't, tell us also!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
I get my head chopped off daily at work, ...

The guillotine needs calibrating.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
The guillotine needs calibrating.

:) I'm off, the PR patrol told me to shut up.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
:) I'm off, the PR patrol told me to shut up.

Neh. Just surprising the noise still made from the headless types.  :old:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Then why is the variance in who is actually being vocal so low? Go back look at all the post threads its the same people who are not the majority of the game. As I said the majority on the forums possibly but not of the ah universe.

During presidential elections, polling agencies conduct polls with samples in the thousands of people range, sometimes 5000 or 10000 if it is a good survey and can determine the percentage each candidate has, +/- 4% is usually the standard deviation at 95% confidence level.  I'm not sure if you thought they were polling all 400 million Americans, but I assure you they are not.  A sample size is like dipping your spoon into your soup.  You will likely pull out most of the ingredients and be able to come to some conclusions.

So I completely reject your premise that the AH bbs does not represent an appropriate and directly measurable sample size of the entire AH Community's sentiment.  If 75% of the BBS users are against the 12 hr rule, then I assure you the actual population percentage against it are in the same ballpark.  Could be 70% could be 80%, but it's in the ballpark.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:17:11 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
During presidential elections, polling agencies conduct polls with samples in the thousands of people range, sometimes 5000 or 10000 if it is a good survey and can determine the percentage each candidate has, +/- 4% is usually the standard deviation at 95% confidence level.  I'm not sure if you thought they were polling all 400 million Americans, but I assure you they are not.  A sample size is like dipping your spoon into your soup.  You will likely pull out most of the ingredients and be able to come to some conclusions.

So I completely reject your premise that the AH bbs does not represent an appropriate and directly measurable sample size of the entire AH Community's sentiment.  If 75% of the BBS users are against the 12 hr rule, then I assure you the actual population percentage against it are in the same ballpark.  Could be 70% could be 80%, but it's in the ballpark.

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Those polls are usually conducted by polling a representative section of the population or voters. When doing exit polls, the polling stations are carefully selected based on former election results to ensure as much as possible they are as representative as possible.
The AH BBS is a place where you have to sign up and to invest time to contribute. That alone already limits in some way the kind of players you usually encounter here with very active 'furballing' vet  possibly overly represented. On top of that, a place like this one easily has some kind of "AH-political climate" (don't know to express this better in English) that may actually prevent many players of largely (perceived) deviating opinions (or adherents of deviating gaming styles) to spend their time and efforts here at all.
So it's probably more like readers of a specific magazine or newspaper, or the patrons of a certain bar or pub you are polling. Most probably not representative for the entirety of the public/voters at all.

One example coming to my mind are the plane polls of the past, As far as I remember, the real outcomes were quite different from the votes and opinions voiced here the AH BBS community. The B-29 would never had won the vote on the BBS.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Those polls are usually conducted by polling a representative section of the population or voters. When doing exit polls, the polling stations are carefully selected based on former election results to ensure as much as possible they are as representative as possible.
The AH BBS is a place where you have to sign up and to invest time to contribute. That alone already limits in some way the kind of players you usually encounter here with very active 'furballing' vet  possibly overly represented. On top of that, a place like this one easily has some kind of "AH-political climate" (don't know to express this better in English) that may actually prevent many players of largely (perceived) deviating opinions (or adherents of deviating gaming styles) to spend their time and efforts here at all.
So it's probably more like readers of a specific magazine or newspaper, or the patrons of a certain bar or pub you are polling. Most probably not representative for the entirety of the public/voters at all.

One example coming to my mind are the plane polls of the past, As far as I remember, the real outcomes were quite different from the votes and opinions voiced here the AH BBS community. The B-29 would never had won the vote on the BBS.

I respectfully disagree.  You are implying that the polling of the BBS is fundamentally biased and not representative of the true AH population, as if the BBS is only geared towards players of a like-minded nature.  I don't see why that would be the case.  The bbs users in my opinion are just AH enthusiasts.  In the game there is a hot tip that says "Did you know: You can discuss aces high on the message board...?" of something to that nature.  All in game players have seen this.  All are welcome.  I see players from all styles of play here. 

The underlying premise to your theory is players that are country loyal/want to win wars not fights are by nature, not concerned with the community aspect of the game.  There is no plausible reason why these ideologies would be dependent on eachother.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
- TWBYDHAS

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
Just from my observation in the 68th..

We have roughly 30 members.. only 4 of us visit the forums with any sort of regularity. Of those 4 that do come to the forums, I'm the only one that comes to the boards for anything outside of the Special Events threads. A good portion of our guys are AH enthusiasts that play regularly but just have no interest in the BBS. They play the game and are more then happy with that.

So from my reality (perception), Snailman is of course correct (he always is  :salute). 

Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Places with only a subset of the general population have the habit of creating their own 'culture'. That's why I gave the "pub" analogy. Just a genreal experience.
In all my years of AH I have encountered a whole lot of players, mostly from the "win the war" fraction, who basically ignore the BBS because of a (perceived or real) "furballing bias". Comparing the BBS and the actually in game gameplay and opinions the "win the war" types are very much underrepresented here, as they usually get shouted down quite quickly (often for good reasons, but that doesn't matter in this context ;)). Oh, they do exist here, but in my opinion not anywhere as much as in game.

And I think the plane poll example I brought up is illustrating that fact very much. There were huge differences between the votes here on the BBS and the actually vote in game. The BBS population vote quite different than the AH community at large, which shows that you can't simply assume the BBS and in game opinions on a certain topic are the same. The polls proved they aren't necessarily.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
See Rules #2, #5

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:34:52 PM by Skuzzy »
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:32:12 PM by Skuzzy »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
See Rules #2, #5
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:35:00 PM by Skuzzy »
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member