Author Topic: logical progression from Logitch 3D  (Read 499 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
logical progression from Logitch 3D
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:17:58 AM »
natural progression after twisty logitech...

So what was your next stick? And then after that? And what have you settled finally with?

I'm tired of the variability and wearing out of these logitechs, everyone of them is slightly different, by the time I'm adjusted to it it's like 1/4 or so of its life is already gone.

What kind of warranties are available w/other brands?  

It would seem throttle control system would be much better than a wheel? Rudder pedals too...

I started looking at CH, Thrustmaster & Saitek in no particular order. I usually take a long time to decide on buying something & research a lot, so please bear with me and follow-up questions.

:salute
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:23:11 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: logical progression from Logitch 3D
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:20 AM »
I went to a CH setup myself messed with me for a while but everyday is better.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:53:45 AM »
I've had this X52 set up here with the twist for 5years now.. & I really like it.. the bang for the buck, its the best option (Personally) ..  :)

rudder control with the twist isn't bad, but it takes some work.. & it's working.. but I really want some pedals.. I think that would make a difference..   

But I'd have to re-learn with them & make it "normal", like my twist is now.. and would make lots of mistakes on the way 

Logitech has some good stuff, but their joysticks aren't included in that category, so yes, I'd recommend spending a bit to get some quality in your controllers..

it does make a difference.. but once you do get a new set, the learning starts all over again..  :joystick:

yeah, this game pisses me off too.. LOL

Wrngway

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:13:10 AM »
I had a x52 pro, didn't like the stick itself at all. The hat switches are in bad places and I can't use trackIR because I get terrible vertigo with it. Also it has this issue when you go full deflection in any quadrant the sensitivity goes down (Due to the magnet placement vs where the HAL sensors are,  http://www.overclock.net/t/940577/saitek-x-52-tuneup-and-fixes-56k-warning).

So I kept the throttle from the x52 and went back to my logitech 3d, and then got some rudder pedals.

Id say the most important thing is a HOTAS configuration, which the 3d doesn't have by itself.

The issue with the 3d is the potentiometers they use, they are cheep and wear out REALLY quick. Go down to radio shack and buy a pair (I totally forgot what size the pots are but I think they just act as voltage dividers anyways). This takes the variability away and they last much longer (mine has been going strong for years). Sure it takes some modding but if you're used to the shape of the stick why change?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:20:51 AM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:41 AM »
Thanks thus far.

Olds: one reason why I'd like to get away from the 3D is I often find I'm twisting the stick while shooting, obviously that is bad for numerous reasons, I probably have always done it but I've been noticing it more lately.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
MicroSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 16 years and still going.  Has enough buttons for this game.  The only issue is you need to search the internet in order to find and buy one.  This was a $40.00 stick in it's day, now going on different sites for as much as $500.00.   good luck.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
Saitek has a new HOTAS out, the 55 series, dual throttle and Stik. Have heard very positive feedback on it. Cane has one and loves it. I have the X52 and am very happy with it, just need to get some pedals now. :cheers:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359102.0.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:14:23 AM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
Rot,

It comes down to the basics....how much do you want to spend?

If money is no object the a warthog and a set of saitek combat peds will be about as good as it gets,although it will set you back about 700 bucks. the warthog is 400 to 500 depending on prices,saitek combat peds are about 200 bucks.

Or you can TM1600 for about 40 bucks and a set of ch peds for about 100 and possibly look for a used x52 so you can add a throttle. Another choce would be the x52 setup or the x52 pro,you wouldnt need peds as both are twisties and cost about 100 to 150 for the pro. Of course you could always step up to the new x55,also a twisty but at about 200 bucks.

Then there is the old standard...CH stuff,you'd need a stick a throttle and peds,total setup cost between 350 and450 depending on prices.

Personally I have a warthog stick,CH throttle and saitek peds,all work together ingame!

YMMV.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
Thanks thus far.

Olds: one reason why I'd like to get away from the 3D is I often find I'm twisting the stick while shooting, obviously that is bad for numerous reasons, I probably have always done it but I've been noticing it more lately.

Which a X52 is not going to help fix, nor will any other twisty stick. Get a pair of rudder pedals+throttle instead of a new stick.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Thank you Morfiend, that gives me a good place to start. Figuring out how much I'm really willing to spend will take some time too. Atm I'd say not over $500, but I'll have to think about that too.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:17 AM »
MicroSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 16 years and still going.  Has enough buttons for this game.  The only issue is you need to search the internet in order to find and buy one.  This was a $40.00 stick in it's day, now going on different sites for as much as $500.00.   good luck.

I just got one at goodwill for 6.99. And it works!
Pies not kicks.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:36:05 AM »
I have had my x52 for almost 6 years now, it still works flawlessly other than the stupid cable that goes between the 2, which I have bent the ends on to make them tight again :D  the pedals take a lot to get used to IMO and I will still find myself slipping with my foot pressure on one side or the other :lol  I think its all what you like and what you get comfortable with, my friend HATES my x52, but loves my old sidewinder  :aok

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
Started with a 3D Pro. When it got sloppy I bought another one and used the first as a throttle.
Replaced it with a CH throttle.
Saitek Combat Pro pedlals came next, I have a size 13 foot and I liked the wider stance as compared to the CH pedals. It took me about a month to get used to the pedals.
Take off your shoes when using pedals; you'll have finer control over them.
Last came a CH Stick.
One piece at a time.  :old:

LtngRydr
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:55:19 AM by Lab Rat 3947 »
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"