Author Topic: B29 4000 lb bomb damage  (Read 509 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
B29 4000 lb bomb damage
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
B29 4000 lb bomb damage is bugged.  Filmed on the third pass, showing craters from prior TWO 4,000 lb bomb strikes on a single VH.  Yet, I can spread 500 lb bombs 3 x 3 drones (total = 4,500 lbs and kill hangars consistently).  Okay, the first 4k didn't hit zero mark (another problem with B29) but total of 8k lbs of explosives and not even a spark????

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: B29 4000 lb bomb damage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
The film is missing... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
I am certain that I am not the only one that has had this experience.  In fact, the film is of me and squadmate both having the exact same result.  I shall include the *film here, but I didn't think that there was any dispute.  I recalled that there was some discussion about the size of the B29 spreading formations too far to be effective for hangar bombing.  I also recalled there being some discussion about the calibration being off in the B29. 

It was my bad, I thought the calibration error was actually the wingspread issue and therefore a single powerful bomb would counter.  Snailman, and others may be able to quote bomb damage radius.  If you look at the bomb craters in the film you may be able to come up with a formula to explain the lack of damage or not.  My concern is that 3 ~ 500 lb bombs placed in the same place have the same effect or better (I do mean 3 x 500 and not 3 x 3 @ 500).

:mad:  Now the *film is also bugged.  Recorded 1.6 mb and yet only less than 1 sec of film ?????? wtf?????   bugged film is attached.... I will ask squadmate for his film.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
My concern is that 3 ~ 500 lb bombs placed in the same place have the same effect or better (I do mean 3 x 500 and not 3 x 3 @ 500).

Keep in mind small bombs do more damage per pound than large bombs. A 500lbs bomb does 550lbs of actual damage, so 3x500lbs = 1650lb damage.
On top of that HC and LC bombs doe even less damage per pound (but have icnreased damage radius). A single 4K HC bomb will do only about 2340lbs of damage - which is less than the 2781 lbs required for any hangar.

On your film: Try to open the film viewer first, then open the film via in program menu.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Thanks, I tried opening viewer first, it still just showed less than 1 sec of film but 1.6 mb of data recorded.  I will try again. 

On top of this, when did they put wind in MA?  I was told today that wind is above 14k ft and none below.  Why isn't this COMMON knowledge?  I sure don't remember any announcements or changes to that effect.

So, from what you are saying 4k bomb is just dead weight?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
On top of this, when did they put wind in MA?  I was told today that wind is above 14k ft and none below.  Why isn't this COMMON knowledge?  I sure don't remember any announcements or changes to that effect.

Wind was put in more than a year ago, along with much discussion on all channels and on the BBS. I'm somewhat surprised that this is not common knowledge ever since then.
The wind layers can be checked on your clipboard map.

When you have calibrated before each drop, wind has no effect on your bombs, your sight does compensate.

So, from what you are saying 4k bomb is just dead weight?

That's not what I said at all. It's just not made for point targets.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Thank you again the film viewer did work after I tried again.  Weird that it even stopped working in the first place.  Anyhow, this is only my second month back after a year hiatus (ISP problems beyond my control). 

It is DEFINITELY not common knowledge that wind has been added at certain altitudes.  Yes, I did see the wind meter showing speed and direction, but had no knowledge that it was only above 14k (as I was told today).  Definitely had no clue that calibration adjusted for wind (it does make sense), but things like this that affect game strategic play really should be more evident than just in E6b clipboard.  Here (wishlist item) information that important should be on the bomber screen as is salvo and delay.

Now, whether or not you said 4k B29 bomb is "dead weight", viewing the film and from my own experience I gathered that information on my own.  2500 lbs of damage from a 4000 lb bomb; there are many folks that wished calories worked that way.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
Now, whether or not you said 4k B29 bomb is "dead weight", viewing the film and from my own experience I gathered that information on my own.  2500 lbs of damage from a 4000 lb bomb; there are many folks that wished calories worked that way.

The 4k is a great bomb when applied to the right targets. It's very large damage radius makes it as a very suitable bomb especially for (undamaged) factories, which have buildings far more spread out than they are in towns. For attacks on typical tactical point targets (bases), one would prefer medium sized bombs: 250lb, 500lb (on most bombers the most efficient loadout) or 1000lbs.

If desired, I could elaborate on this in a seperate thread in Help & Training.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Training would not be necessary.  Proper knowledge of damage would suffice.  You have been helpful in that respect.  Although I don't have the information on bomb radius or radial damage, I can conclude on my own 2 x 4,000 lb bombs dropped ~75 feet from the intended target doesn't do 2800 lbs of damage to that target.

Should be okay for town centers, but I have to leave it to the ordinance folks to say whether or not it is NERFED.  I wouldn't have raised the question if it only took 2 x 4000 lb bombs to destroy a 2800 lb target, but it took 3.  Look, I know that there are complex formulas that HTC has correct for the most part, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it a bug.  So, if there is more detail information with respect to damage scaling related to blast distance for 4,000 lb bombs, here is the place to answer.  Maybe Skuzzy should move the entire thread to the appropriate forum (realizing that there are much more important things for him to do, but for this specific question, it would be nice to have the information concise in one place).

I do appreciate the information immensely, and believe that others besides myself do also value this kind of discussion.  Again, thank you for you swift responses.  :cheers: