Author Topic: P-51B Skin Request  (Read 626 times)

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
P-51B Skin Request
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Hello again,

I'm currently reading a book about the 31st Fighter Group who were based primarily in North Africa and then Italy in WWII.  And of course I'm now flying Spitfires and P-51's in AH which were the planes flown by the 31st.  I was wondering if any of the skinners would be interested in skinning Lt Col Thorsen's P-51B (fourth plane down on this page):

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/31st/31planes.html

We have this color scheme for a P-51D in AH but not for the P-51B which was also flown by the 31st.

Thanks for considering this skin.
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: P-51B Skin Request
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Again, this is something that I can do. It will take a bit longer though, bare metal skins take a lot of attention to detail (but I love working on them).

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
Again, this is something that I can do. It will take a bit longer though, bare metal skins take a lot of attention to detail (but I love working on them).

That sounds great, DT :aok

The Spit V skin plus this skin will flesh out the primary different paint schemes and models flown by the 31st throughout WWII in AH.

Thanks!
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
Here is a painting of a 31st P-51B, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows the horizontal stabilizer/elevator with the 31st tail stripes that don't show in the first link I posted.  I know this isn't the hard core info you skinners use, but thought it might give you a better idea of how 31st P-51's were painted.  Could be Thorsen's plane had the red band on the fuselage and no stripes on the hs/e...can't tell for sure from the first image.  Again, just having a 31st P-51B would be great, so go with the best documentation you can find on one and it will be greatly appreciated.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/8489-new-paints/

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:24:30 PM by shoresroad »
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »
Very cool  :aok