Author Topic: Objects destroyed...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Objects destroyed...
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
I see from the logs that last Friday several field guns were destroyed at an active allied base.  I also "heard" that this same field was vulched as a result.

I don't know about you, but I would have to say this isn't what "combat challenge" is all about. 

Thoughts?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Objects destroyed...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
I see from the logs that last Friday several field guns were destroyed at an active allied base.  I also "heard" that this same field was vulched as a result.

I don't know about you, but I would have to say this isn't what "combat challenge" is all about. 

Thoughts?

Several weeks ago, maybe months now, this was brought up in discussion. I agree that vulching has no part in CC.

Ideas to eliminate it was raising ack strength and/or decreasing the object downtime to the lowest it can go which would cause ack guns to go down for less than a second. The issue was unless the ack is higher than 1.0 you will not curb the issue IMO. The problem is then you have super ack that will kill with one shot. Then you might have players on "streaks" getting one ping kills who might not be vulching. Or, people hugging ack until they develop an advantage.

Do you think that bumping the ack will help stop vulching? Or do you think it could lead to other problems?

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Make it a rule...

Just brain storming here...

Rule 1, no deacking
Rule 2, no vulching

or maybe
No entering dar circle of active base unless currently engaged with an NME con and within icon range (or something like that). 

Penalty = kills don't count

See it film it report it...

Offline Trainee

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

Thoughts?

As CO of ~The Unforgiven~ I will take full responsibility for our part in that and assure you it wont happen again from our squad.   Typically we try to follow all the rules for these special events to the letter and have nothing but the utmost respect for the SE/AH community.  It was getting late in the event and the action was dying down on that end of the AO so we just pressed a little too hard and got carried away in the moment.  Not intentionally trying to detract from the spirit of anything here and certainly didn't mean to ruin anyone's night. 
Wont happen again from us.  :angel:
Trainee
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"Step aside Butch..."

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:35 AM »
Several weeks ago, maybe months now, this was brought up in discussion. I agree that vulching has no part in CC.

Ideas to eliminate it was raising ack strength and/or decreasing the object downtime to the lowest it can go which would cause ack guns to go down for less than a second. The issue was unless the ack is higher than 1.0 you will not curb the issue IMO. The problem is then you have super ack that will kill with one shot. Then you might have players on "streaks" getting one ping kills who might not be vulching. Or, people hugging ack until they develop an advantage.

Do you think that bumping the ack will help stop vulching? Or do you think it could lead to other problems?

TBH, I would say that if it's possible, raise the Hitpoints of the ack to be basically unkillable.  Don't really need to raise the lethality, cause people flying over the base at 15k don't need to be getting golden BB'd.  Making the ack unkillable makes people taking 2 or 3 passes on lifting craft beyond stupid.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
As CO of ~The Unforgiven~ I will take full responsibility for our part in that and assure you it wont happen again from our squad.   Typically we try to follow all the rules for these special events to the letter and have nothing but the utmost respect for the SE/AH community.  It was getting late in the event and the action was dying down on that end of the AO so we just pressed a little too hard and got carried away in the moment.  Not intentionally trying to detract from the spirit of anything here and certainly didn't mean to ruin anyone's night. 
Wont happen again from us.  :angel:
I appreciate the mea culpa.   :salute  I hope the other squad who was involved feels as you do. 

My only hope is that the kills those who took advantage of the situation received, don't effect the end of event awards.  I am personally already a little miffed at some of the midstream changes that have taken place, it would be an even greater disappointment to hear that someone received a accolade based on gaming the event instead of earning it like everyone else did...

TBH, I would say that if it's possible, raise the Hitpoints of the ack to be basically unkillable.  Don't really need to raise the lethality, cause people flying over the base at 15k don't need to be getting golden BB'd.  Making the ack unkillable makes people taking 2 or 3 passes on lifting craft beyond stupid.
I think this would be a great compromise.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
I am personally already a little miffed at some of the midstream changes that have taken place

Sorry for the delayed response here, also sorry that you feel that way. This years challenge was bound to hit some random variables that were unplanned for and totally unexpected. I might as well bring this up now, but some things are going to change again. After the end of the 2014 series, while the awards and shirts are snail mailed, we (CMs and participants) are going to discuss some changes and ideas in how things are done, and the slate will be wiped clean and we will start a new challenge for 2015 beginning in January. (edit: I shouldn't say wiped clean as the final scores will be kept up, I just mean that it will be a new challenge and everyone will be at 0 again.)

As for the Ack settings, it is still being mulled over as the next Challenge VIII will be announced soon.

I appreciate your patience and concern and good luck in the remaining challenges. <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!