Author Topic: Skill = Rage  (Read 1908 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
Re: Skill = Rage
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »
I like this phrase:

" aggressive disappointment " it is ketchy

and so it doesn't look like I am adding non value content to this thread I agree with Wiley.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
I don't so much get angry as I do bored with some of the more low-skill approaches.

Otoh, I've gained an appreciation for the better ones.

For example, I played last night, despite being strung out from a long flight back from Germany. I had a bad night, score wise. I think I had four assists and got killed a couple of times. However, I had immense fun battling a skillfully flown f6 that dogged me and about four fellow nits. Later, I immensely enjoyed taking on 3 jugs -and lived to tell the tale. I didn't kill any of 'em but had shots on all, flew my aircraft to its strengths, kept my g-whiz above 'em, and kept those dawgs at bay.

I felt good about that.

But then, I'm, at best, of intermediate skill and don't ave enough time for this. I steal time for you wrinkly a-holes for fights just like that. I'm not feeling the rage so much as the love.

The only thing I don't get is some of the drama around here. I'm trying to understand it but it often eludes me.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
As you get more experienced and come around to whatever your idea of how the game should be played, you start to have the time as you're playing to notice the things that irk you in other players. 

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head right here.  "As you get more experienced and come around to whatever your idea of how the game should be played,"

When your idea of how the game should be played does not match what is actually happening at the time, you get mad.

When a team sneaks in and takes a base by stealth and surprise, then there will be those who think they are playing the game wrong, and get mad, because they are avoiding the fight.

When a bunch of people are just dogfighting and playing "tag", then there will be those who think they are playing the game wrong, and get mad, because they aren't taking bases.

When a team puts up a big, coordinated mission to take a base, there will be those who get mad at them for using superior numbers, and not playing "fair". 

How do I keep from getting mad?  I keep in mind that we are using pretend airplanes to play tag, or capture the flag, or sneak-the-base, or dogpile, or whatever game happens to be going on in that particular part of the arena at that particular time.  I pick a game, and I jump in, and I have fun.  Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I actually get to do this.

:x

At the same time, I have gained a new respect for those who flew these planes, and fought these fights, not for fun, but for real.

:salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
This kinda sums it up for me....

http://youtu.be/t4e32wstykg

Pretty much.

Its not long before endless hordes of furballers, or ho-run noobs. Punctuated by the occasional half decent 1v1 smackdown before you start wanting something a bit more intense. DA gives it, but its only so long before even that gets dull.

I find that the best fight is 3 or 4 aircraft in a small engagement. 2v1 or 2v2. It adds a new dynamic. The more skilled pilots may outfly the enemy, but can they outwit them? There lies the heart of this game IMO.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 06:19:46 AM »
If—
By Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you  
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,  
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;  
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;  
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;  
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;  

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,  
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,  
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,  
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,  
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
^^^ got that on my sons bedroom wall...hope it sublimely sinks in over time
 :D
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
I primarily get frustrated with individual behavior. I expect just about anything to happen sometimes. HOs, ack running, hording, vulching are all part of the game. But, to me, these things are only excused in certain situations that are dictated by things out of your control (overwhelming odds against you, imminent base capture, Pilot wound, and empty guns). On the occations when it's just you and me, I don't expect you to do any of those things. If you do, I get frustrated because your actions speak volumes about the type of person truly you are.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
  I think you hit the nail squarely on the head right here.  "As you get more experienced and come around to whatever your idea of how the game should be played,"

When your idea of how the game should be played does not match what is actually happening at the time, you get mad.

When a team sneaks in and takes a base by stealth and surprise, then there will be those who think they are playing the game wrong, and get mad, because they are avoiding the fight.

When a bunch of people are just dogfighting and playing "tag", then there will be those who think they are playing the game wrong, and get mad, because they aren't taking bases.

When a team puts up a big, coordinated mission to take a base, there will be those who get mad at them for using superior numbers, and not playing "fair". 

How do I keep from getting mad?  I keep in mind that we are using pretend airplanes to play tag, or capture the flag, or sneak-the-base, or dogpile, or whatever game happens to be going on in that particular part of the arena at that particular time.  I pick a game, and I jump in, and I have fun.  Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I actually get to do this.

At the same time, I have gained a new respect for those who flew these planes, and fought these fights, not for fun, but for real.

You sir, have hit the nail on the head.  :aok That is how i see it as well. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »

Very well thought out response. I agree with your viewpoints.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
Don't take yourself too seriously and that won't happen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
I primarily get frustrated with individual behavior. I expect just about anything to happen sometimes. HOs, ack running, hording, vulching are all part of the game. But, to me, these things are only excused in certain situations that are dictated by things out of your control (overwhelming odds against you, imminent base capture, Pilot wound, and empty guns). On the occations when it's just you and me, I don't expect you to do any of those things. If you do, I get frustrated because your actions speak volumes about the type of person truly you are.

I have the same issue Mak. I purposely fly planes that challenge my own skills (I don't have much). 1v1 from alt to the deck is fun until you get the upper hand on the opponent and they turn tail to friendlies/ack. I won't run away and will often tell my countrymen to wave off if I'm engaged. I like the challenge, even if it means the opponent gets the best of me and I go down. I don't fly for score and don't care much about being bested unless its a run-to-friends-gang-up-on-me ending. I think those that run away, especially to friends or ack, have a problem with being beat.  :aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 12:16:46 AM »
skill/rage is controlled by my good friend marijuana.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
skill/rage is controlled by my good friend marijuana.
You should save your rage for the sort of bully who would lock one up for growing a plant of which they dissaprove.  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
Just about sums up my opinion