Author Topic: Boring Request  (Read 1478 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Boring Request
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
Are there any P51-B\C, P51-D, and P47-Dxx that flew bare metal in the ETO or PTO with no special adornment except for unit markings and engine hood anti-glare paint? I've seen P51-D in some films lately from WW2 that had only unit markings in bare metal with no adornments. On occasion I see pictures where in the background from the adorned ride sits an obviously used workhorse sans adornment in bare aluminum.

There is something about minimalism and bare aluminum that's attractive to me in US rides.

I fully understand this might not be possible. Thank you either way it goes.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: Boring Request
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
Not sure about US p51's, but 3sdn RAAF, MTO had some. Just the rudder was blue, with the southern cross on it.

Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
I want to apologize to everyone if my choice of POST title's might be insulting.

"Boring Request"

I chose it because the work here by everyone is always excellent, and I was worried an all metal skin would not be enough of a challenge to interest anyone.

I hope I have not offended anyone since all of you put so much time and talent into the work you provide free to the community.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
I don't think anyone was offended, it is simply that it is unlikely there were many operational aircraft without squadron markings. At the least you would expect a squadron three letter code or number, so each plane could be recognised by his squad mates in combat. The exception might be aircraft expected to operate alone, i.e. armed photo-recon aircraft.

Personally I wouldn't be too interested in doing a skin like this though, as you say it would be kind of boring to do.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
To echo what Greebo said.

Just about every aircraft received the markings of its squadron once it arrived. Even the most "boring" schemes had some kind of marking added to distinguish it from another in the squad. Any aircraft photographed without those markings would have been taken during a test flight, or specifically for a photo-op with a factory fresh plane. Either way, those are not eligible for skinning in AH.

In my opinion, the most boring marking belonged to the 434th FS in 1945.

Robin Old's "Scat VII" - by no means a boring person.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »
Robin's poni would be nice.

If I can pull identification serial and squadron markings, do you gents have sources to validate the aircraft?

I guess minimalism is an acquired flavor like drinking black coffee.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »
Robin's poni would be nice.

If I can pull identification serial and squadron markings, do you gents have sources to validate the aircraft?

I guess minimalism is an acquired flavor like drinking black coffee.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

This is the second time that Robin's pony has been requested within the last couple of months. Most people seem to forget that we already have a skin for the same FG in game. This means that Robin's pony has a slim chance of being accepted since it doesn't really differ in terms of appearance. Most skinners aren't willing to put the time into a skin that's just going to be rejected because of it's similarity. I can't speak for the other skinners but I usually put between 40 and 60 hours of work into a fighter unless I have a similar one I can build off of, bombers usually run more than 100 hours.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »
Bascially Bustr, it comes down to birds like these :)

Both these shots are of 345th FS, 350th FG Jugs in the MTO.  Our old Airwarrior buddy, the late Earl Miller, flew Jugs with this bunch.  The urgency of continued operations often meant the painting had to wait.  Note that in this flight of 4 there are two veteran birds with the 345th yellow and blue checks on the nose and yellow lightning bolt on blue on the tail along with the squadron codes.  Also note one of the new Jugs has the yellow checks and the yellow lightning bolt, but they haven't  had time to put on the squadron codes or the blue checks or trim.  And the 4th Jug has no markings added yet.  But here they are lugging bombs on the way to a target.

That top picture is one of my all time favorites.  Some serious formation in some tough looking birds. 

Generally the USAAF birds were much more colorful the closer to the end of the war we got.  More planes available and more pilots as well as time to paint.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
Roger on that.

I'll work with the great skins you guys have already provided. Green tail P51D and all silver shark mouth P51B.

I should have done more home work like I usually overkill on everything else.

Everyone, thank you for your reply's.  :salute
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
I should have done more home work like I usually overkill on everything else.

Maxim 37: There is no "overkill." Only "open fire" and "time to reload."
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
Bascially Bustr, it comes down to birds like these :)

Both these shots are of 345th FS, 350th FG Jugs in the MTO.  Our old Airwarrior buddy, the late Earl Miller, flew Jugs with this bunch.  The urgency of continued operations often meant the painting had to wait.  Note that in this flight of 4 there are two veteran birds with the 345th yellow and blue checks on the nose and yellow lightning bolt on blue on the tail along with the squadron codes.  Also note one of the new Jugs has the yellow checks and the yellow lightning bolt, but they haven't  had time to put on the squadron codes or the blue checks or trim.  And the 4th Jug has no markings added yet.  But here they are lugging bombs on the way to a target.

That top picture is one of my all time favorites.  Some serious formation in some tough looking birds.  

Generally the USAAF birds were much more colorful the closer to the end of the war we got.  More planes available and more pilots as well as time to paint.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Look at 5C6.  Note he has 1 notch of flaps deployed.  My guess is this was a mission where the flight knew they were going to be a poster for the future and war bonds.

Great photos -  thanks for posting
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »
Look at 5C6.  Note he has 1 notch of flaps deployed.  My guess is this was a mission where the flight knew they were going to be a poster for the future and war bonds.

Great photos -  thanks for posting

Actually that isn't the case as the photos were taken by another Jug pilot on the way to a target.  He was a buddy of Earl Millers.  Somehow he managed to fly his bird and get a series of great pics.

Those 345th FS "DevilHawk" Jugs were tough :)  Two more from that crew.  Flak was always a threat.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters