Author Topic: Midway  (Read 717 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Midway
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
Big big brass ones  :salute
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
   If you had seen the movie on the Big Screen in the 70's with your Dad you would have just been blown away and not knit picked the details. "Were we better than the Japs or just luckier"   :salute

Wow. We must be about the same age because I think I did see it with my Dad and I think it was on father's day.

He (RIP) and I used to also play the Avalon Hill game by the same name.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
I love the movie "Midway" -- it is one of my favorite movies of all time.  Yes, it has some incorrect plane types in snippets of historical footage here and there, but I'd rather have real footage with incorrect aircraft than Hollywood, stupidly unrealistic CGI like we typically get today.

Also, it has the cast of doom:  Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Hal Holbrook, Robert Wagner, Toshiro Mifune, James Coburn, Glenn Ford, Tom Selleck, even Ponch (Erik Estrada).

The only other movie that I know of that has such an amazing cast is "A Bridge Too Far" (another of my favorite movies of all time):  Laurence Olivier, Sean Connery, Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Edward Fox, Michael Cane, Anthony Hopkins, James Caan, Maximilian Schell, Elliott Gould, Liv Ullmann.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
By the way, you can fight the battle of Midway in frame 2 of the upcoming Scenario:

http://pacificwar.wordpress.com/battle-for-midway/

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
in the movie nobody answers that question--but i say we were both--smarter because we found a way to see if midway was the target--luckier that the jap plane that found our fleet had a broken radio and could not radio it's location..and that the jap pilots thought they already sunk the yorktown
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
  If you had seen the movie on the Big Screen in the 70's with your Dad you would have just been blown away and not knit picked the details. "Were we better than the Japs or just luckier"   :salute

I was 18 when it came out. What was the special effect it boasted Sensaround Sound or something? I have to admit the sounds were fantastic but even at 18 having started on my WWII reading binge about age 11 or so.. I was nitpicking the plane types too.  :D

He (RIP) and I used to also play the Avalon Hill game by the same name.

I used to love that game Zilla!  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV