Author Topic: Poison Ivy  (Read 1510 times)

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Re: Poison Ivy
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
Got a cat that does not appreciate having the oily poison on here fur. Rubbed it off on my leg while I was busy shaving in my boxers. I figured out what it was as soon as the blisters started and did not let it spread more. Couple of spots bored in deep and scarred.
Met the cat with a nudge from my socked foot for a month after that. Wouldn't let her near me.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
You couldn't pay me to burn the nasty stuff. If you inhale that even a bit, you're in the hospital for a month, and more exposure means a longer stay or even death. If you're unlucky enough to survive a decent exposure, expect life-long lung problems. Count me out.

You could always try mulching over anything that you pluck out of the ground, and as long as the other plants are well-established, you're in the clear there.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
On my job we use Timberwolf hand cleaner any time we work close to poison ivy. Its the best product we've found as relief. The stuff also works very well as a mosquito deterrant .

www.Timberwolfhandcleaner.com

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:53:25 PM by SIM »

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
I've never used timber wolf, but regular soap or detergent should wash away the oily urushiol that causes the release of histamine if used within 15 minutes of exposure.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
We dont really have it around here.  It does grow in some places, like near rivers, and wet areas.  But those are pretty hard to come by lately.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
We dont really have it around here.  It does grow in some places, like near rivers, and wet areas.  But those are pretty hard to come by lately.

I have developed some on my forearm, most likely thanks to the dog. Thanks boy!  :furious
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
I lived in the south for a few years and have yet to see any of it.  seen the hand of a friend of mine who moved from los angeles to charlotte when he was pulling some weeds by hand.  wasnt pretty.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_Ivy_(musician)

Weird psycho billy chick... Used to hang with the late Lux Interior...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »
Got a cat that does not appreciate having the oily poison on here fur. Rubbed it off on my leg while I was busy shaving in my boxers. I figured out what it was as soon as the blisters started and did not let it spread more. Couple of spots bored in deep and scarred.
Met the cat with a nudge from my socked foot for a month after that. Wouldn't let her near me.

Shaving IN your boxers or whilst wearing them? :O :bolt:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
I used to get into it all the time as a kid, until I fell out of a tree into a HUGE patch, I was covered now I rarely get a rash and if I do it's pretty mild, I know it sounds weird but I can walk right into some  see that I have made contact and not really get that bad of a reaction, as to if its more common now a days I do't think so Ive always seen it around everywhere here in Georgia. Remember leaves of three let it be! That's just being swampwise.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
It's not that unusual. I've come into contact with it several times in my life... as recently as over the last year. I seem to be immune.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
I've had it on every part of my body, including the face, eyes swollen shut, and even "down there." By far, the worst place to get it is between the toes.

Another good tip is to wash with cold water and soap after exposure; keeps the pores shut.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
 I understand native americans had no reaction to it..could even eat it.
 Us 'europian' types better not be down-wind of bunch being burned...dying from your lungs swelling and blistering inside you would be nasty.
 JGroth

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
Shaving IN your boxers or whilst wearing them? :O :bolt:

While wearing. But not long afterward I had heart cath imaging done. They went in through my wrist, but as a precaution beforehand a nurse shaved me IN my boxers so they could do it the old fashioned way if need be.
Three days later when I was working in the yard killing brush I got a bad itch from razor burn and my first thought was ........
poison ivy :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:35:35 PM by RSLQK186 »
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
It's not that unusual. I've come into contact with it several times in my life... as recently as over the last year. I seem to be immune.

Beware.  I was also immune, probably for 45-50 years.  Things change, now it does dreadful things to me.

- oldman