Author Topic: 30mm tater.  (Read 4021 times)

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: 30mm tater.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
I used to fly the 190A8 almost exclusively. With the 30mom's, if you hit, they almost always go down.

Occasionally you will encounter a single hit to a wing or tail section to that doesn't cause catastrophic damage. This is usually because the shell impacts the very edge of a control surface or tail plane, and the shell simply doesn't do enough splash damage to destroy adjacent components. This is not a bug, it its just an oddity of the all or nothing damage model.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »
In the process of burning up perkies in deuces I see far too many instances of popping a fighter or bomber with multiple 30mm sprites to only get an assist.

I am assured that there are NO errors in the coading.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54:53 AM »
In the process of burning up perkies in deuces I see far too many instances of popping a fighter or bomber with multiple 30mm sprites to only get an assist.

I am assured that there are NO errors in the coading.

From what I understand the guy who gets the kill is the one that does the most damage up to fatal damage has occurred. After the target has received fatal damage further hits do not count towards getting the kill. So if someone raked the target with .50 cals and did a lot of damage (points), but spread it all over the aircraft so no critical damage occurred, he is likely to get the kill when someone comes in and does that last bit of damage to a critical component. Your first tater probably did that last bit of fatal damage and thus all your subsequent hits didn't count.

Let's say a the wing of the target aircraft can take a total of 100 damage point before failure. I rake that wing with machine guns and do 80 points of damage; not enough to take the wing off. You come in with your 262 and fire a 100 round burst of 30mm shells at the target. Your first shell does the last 20 points of damage to the wing and it falls off. At that point the target has received fatal damage and the game stops registering damage for the purpose of awarding kills (to prevent people from kill-stealing crippled aircraft). The rest of your thousands of points of damage are ignored and you're only awarded 20 points of damage dealt to the enemy. I'm awarded 80 points for my initial attack, and thus I get the kill.

At least that's how I understand how it works...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »
From what I understand the guy who gets the kill is the one that does the most damage up to fatal damage has occurred. After the target has received fatal damage further hits do not count towards getting the kill. So if someone raked the target with .50 cals and did a lot of damage (points), but spread it all over the aircraft so no critical damage occurred, he is likely to get the kill when someone comes in and does that last bit of damage to a critical component. Your first tater probably did that last bit of fatal damage and thus all your subsequent hits didn't count.

Let's say a the wing of the target aircraft can take a total of 100 damage point before failure. I rake that wing with machine guns and do 80 points of damage; not enough to take the wing off. You come in with your 262 and fire a 100 round burst of 30mm shells at the target. Your first shell does the last 20 points of damage to the wing and it falls off. At that point the target has received fatal damage and the game stops registering damage for the purpose of awarding kills (to prevent people from kill-stealing crippled aircraft). The rest of your thousands of points of damage are ignored and you're only awarded 20 points of damage dealt to the enemy. I'm awarded 80 points for my initial attack, and thus I get the kill.

At least that's how I understand how it works...

Using your example.  To me, the assist should award the perks based on damage done to the target. So the 50 cal user would earn (assuming you earn 1 perk for a kill), .80 perks, and the assist would get you .20.    Assist are a punch to the gut, especially when you only seen the enemy, and don't know if he's been in combat or not.  So why not give a little bit of a reward for it? 

Not meaning to hi-jack, but it is a thought that came up when I read your post.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
So why not give a little bit of a reward for it? 

You already get a reward for assist in terms of score points. Actually you can get way more points for assists than for for the kill itself, as score points are based on damage inflicted.

And I'm very much against any additional reward for assists, most notably perk points.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
You already get a reward for assist in terms of score points. Actually you can get way more points for assists than for for the kill itself, as score points are based on damage inflicted.

And I'm very much against any additional reward for assists, most notably perk points.

The only con I can see to it (which is what the current system has an issue with now), is 'pray n spray-ers'. 

Didn't know that assist really counted to anything score wise. Too bad scores mean nothing in-game other than rank.. which is useless as well.  :rolleyes:
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »
I got hit by 3 30mms from a 262 coming up from my low 6. Engine smoking, half my right wing and 3 guns shot out.

The pilot politely told me "please die !" on ch200 , I responded "only a scratch" .

When I didn't die, he zoomed in for the kill and collided with me (on his FE) without hitting me again  :rofl

I was flying an A8.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:59:13 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Yesterday I plugged a B25 with at least 3 taters, two in the tail and at least one in the right wing. He didn't lose a single part. Got the kill credit only after another pilot put 300 rounds of .50's in him.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
Yesterday I plugged a B25 with at least 3 taters, two in the tail and at least one in the right wing. He didn't lose a single part. Got the kill credit only after another pilot put 300 rounds of .50's in him.

B25s and b29s are some of the few planes that I understand not dying with a few rounds.  Any fighter though, including the Ki84 (sorry ink  :P ) should die with 1-2 rounds.
HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
B25s and b29s are some of the few planes that I understand not dying with a few rounds.  Any fighter though, including the Ki84 (sorry ink  :P ) should die with 1-2 rounds.

:D

I do agree :aok

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »

You're two taters short of what the Luftwaffe figured would bring down a four-engined bomber, on average. Bad luck.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 01:40:42 AM »
Yak9T should be perked :old:

Thudd! Thudd! Boom!

Only small amount of cannon ammo because more is baggage :old:

Its is a "Typhoon" that is wired :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

Thudd! Thudd! Boom!

We will we will rock you!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
Yes!

Its the Freddie Mercury of AH :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »