Author Topic: Your First "FPH"s?  (Read 4200 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your First "FPH"s?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11:32 AM »
Ahh Joey, it was never taking it easy, more playing with my food, I'm a cat at heart :D

Also, I saw my progression as being abstract not linear. If I always fly the same way I may win, but I wont learn anything new. So I always used to try to do something new just to see what would happen. Also I would often get some kind of perverse pleasure out of saying to myself 'can I do this and then still keep control of the fight?' Always trying to keep it fresh, for myself mostly. In your case, it wasn't long before I became the mouse and you the cat. Prolonging the fight also helps newer guys to learn faster, I think.

There have been so many awesome sticks I have had the pleasure of flying with over the years. Some great friends that I saw every evening for a decade. Of all the pilots I've duelled, Bighorn was the best I ever knew. Always will be. But by that time I was already past wanting to be like anyone else. But there are too many to even start a list, most of them have already been mentioned here by others already. Skyrock's list covers some great leaders in ACM from 10 years ago.

If I had to pick one pilot who I wanted to emulate when I was new to the game it would have to be WldThng. I remember seeing a film of him in a spitV with a horde of uber planes all BnZing him at once out over the shag carpet AH1 water. These guys were dropping down on him like flies on poop and he was just pulling reversal after reversal and popping them in the canopy every shot he took. I remember watching in fascination at the geometry and realising how simple it really was. That film was a turning point for me in how I saw defensive flying turned into offensive. That dude was as cool as a cucumber.

I would love to get my hands on that film again.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
Fringe is dels nephew i believe used to be Canaris.

Almost forgot KillnU great stick and nice guy. Gave me my first squad invite. (S)
475th FG "Satans Angels"
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
Ahh Joey, it was never taking it easy, more playing with my food, I'm a cat at heart :D

Also, I saw my progression as being abstract not linear. If I always fly the same way I may win, but I wont learn anything new. So I always used to try to do something new just to see what would happen. Also I would often get some kind of perverse pleasure out of saying to myself 'can I do this and then still keep control of the fight?' Always trying to keep it fresh, for myself mostly. In your case, it wasn't long before I became the mouse and you the cat. Prolonging the fight also helps newer guys to learn faster, I think.

There have been so many awesome sticks I have had the pleasure of flying with over the years. Some great friends that I saw every evening for a decade. Of all the pilots I've duelled, Bighorn was the best I ever knew. Always will be. But by that time I was already past wanting to be like anyone else. But there are too many to even start a list, most of them have already been mentioned here by others already. Skyrock's list covers some great leaders in ACM from 10 years ago.

If I had to pick one pilot who I wanted to emulate when I was new to the game it would have to be WldThng. I remember seeing a film of him in a spitV with a horde of uber planes all BnZing him at once out over the shag carpet AH1 water. These guys were dropping down on him like flies on poop and he was just pulling reversal after reversal and popping them in the canopy every shot he took. I remember watching in fascination at the geometry and realising how simple it really was. That film was a turning point for me in how I saw defensive flying turned into offensive. That dude was as cool as a cucumber.

I would love to get my hands on that film again.

That there in bold is why Bat is a great find for a new guy.... he will always offer the opportunity of more than a turn or two for the newer guy...and the more experienced like myself...it allows for learning and gaining confidence to try something you may not have done/or had the opportunity to do in the past.... not many guys like this now....to much kill as fast as you can...I am the master types.... <S>  Bat
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:07:56 PM by SPKmes »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
         I have always given props to...ready for it?...Da Da Daaaaa...Hlbly!!!

Back in AW for years I flew bombers, till one day hlbly taught me that flying slow,controlled flight by flying a slalom around the old AW fuel tanks would help your control. That was the first step I took in becoming a cartoon fighter pilot.

Funny how after all those years we eventually ended up in the same squad (Muppets).  Alas..it was brief :P

Also I would have to say +dead was a big inspiration to wanting to become a flesh eating juggernaut. Just getting to the point where it became a fight, was a victory for me vs him. Back then, he was the standard.

~AoM~

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
Filth, think about your mom at this point.. what she said..keep both your hands on the bicycle.. be conservative.. that is the idea.. smoothness is key in a fighter energy wise... your fph was telling you correctly..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
We have some of the top-notch if not the best simulation fighters in the genre..  we should celebrate this greatness.. and aspire also..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
Funkedup
Mixo
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »
Fudmukkr when I first started, later down the road DrBone, JOACH1M, and Sonic23... I feel like I'm forgetting a person or two though :headscratch:
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Alpha81

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
He's around.  He makes his obligatory Muppet appearance in the TA about every 3 years.  The Muppet rumor generator has it that Bighorn broke a promise to Dedalos that BH would come back if the "Mad Greek" came back.

Well, the Mad Greek has returned and Bighorn has not kept his promise....or maybe BH is playing hard-to-get....the good ones do that

Thanks for the info... If you see him let him know I thank him and still use many of his lessons!
"it's a fire mister, and every fire is dangerous"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
I remember Magoo giving me my very first fighter lesson, "tho he probably doesnt", in a P51. He wow'ed me by flying inverted thru a hangar. And I'll never forget Ghost sitting in his Japanese fighter in the TA helping me a lot. I can remember 20 to 30 in the TA alone.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
Anyone remember "Juice" and "Thor" from WB?

These guys were amazing.
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
Mac/Aw- Ren, Q, Flames, BuLL, Rabbit, Rodin, and another aw3 head trainer I can't think of now...(but he played here)
AH- Ren, Tw9, Bighorn, Creton, Skyrock

smacktalk Aw/Ah - +brat, skyrock
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:06:25 AM by Scotch »
-AoM-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
Daddy= and his P-51 from WB 2.7.
Great guy and ran a really good Pony course as well.

Yep.  =Daddy= was a good one.  Amazing Pony driver.

I wound up with him in P-51Ds....a 2 v 10 tail chase--a mixed gaggle of bad guys after us on the deck.  With him quite calmly on coms talking me through it, we shot down nine and sent the other one home full of holes.  Some pretty masterful Thach Weaves and vertical tail clearing moves in that fight.  Man that was some fun.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:20:37 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 01:13:38 AM »
Anyone remember "Juice" and "Thor" from WB?

These guys were amazing.

I remember Juice but I was usually on his side as I recall...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 03:29:36 AM »
Many old WarBirds trainers on my list.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera