Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
Re: Scoring
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I say don't fix what isn't broken.  I mean if Bruv is ranked #1  then that is normal right?   ;) 

That's what I am trying to fix! Honestly, do you remember when you got 50 stars(250 kills in a row with no deaths, for the non-ex-FAers) in FA? (I shouldn't have passed on you when I hit your engine at 37 stars, but I was trying to join the Damned at that point..didn't want to piss them off :D)

Now that I can probably say I have played this enough to compare the 2, I think its MUCH more difficult to get it here).

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
Add ENY/Kill and Assists/Death components to the current fighter score system. 

ENY/Kill would be simple as it sounds; what you are using to get your kills.  A player that gets 90% of his kills in 5 ENY planes would suffer in this category.  This would encourage score potatos to get kills in lesser rides, like a real "top gun"( ;)) could.

Assists/Death is a measurement of how many pilots are required to kill you.  If most kills on you were unassisted, then you are probably easy to kill and/or don't take any chances (timid).  Now if you typically have 2 or 3 assists on every death, that indicates a more formidable pilot.

Adding these two things would give a better representation of who the "real" #1 is.

ENY is just no, We don't go fight wars with our Old F-4s to prove we are the best. Going into a gun fight with a knife isn't an indicator of skill..it just shows something is up with the modeling (that being said that the #1 pilot SHOULD be killed by the #2 pilot if the #1 pilot is flying a VERY disadvantaged aircraft..that or something is wrong with the modeling).

Assists/Death again is a bit more subjective, you can't control who hits you or not, I mean if I am #2 and I see that all taht separates me from #1 is Assist/Death then I will just run into a furball with the most survivable plane and go guns cold and try to survive as long as I can...intresting idea though.

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
Well, exactly that was in the OP, a request to honorate the timidity.

Would be an awesome game to play...

Not remove the pressure just use a different metric which is more under the pilots control..Give the same weight to "Total Kills" and the pressure to engage and get more kills more quickly is there..Just not in a way that penalizes Off Time players, or unlucky sorties when you can't find a decent fight (with multiple targets which you will need if you want to keep up that K/H and K/S!)

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »
not one bit of the scoring or ranking system is a indicator of skills..

Baseless, incorrect and subjective...no..just no..Actually..prove me wrong and do it, Get 180 k/d , flying the way you fly (and without help from friends on friendly/enemy country) and Ill pay your Sub for 6 months..But you know me..you better have good documentation of who you kill! :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:55:06 PM by Kruel »

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »
Not everybody has the skill to get a high K/D, but more than that most people don't enjoy playing in a way that maximizes K/D.  Avoiding any fight that you don't have a massive advantage in is boring.  Some people ignore score and stats altogether, but we're really not talking about them.

Almost all of my memorable fights have me starting at a disadvantage and overcoming it.  I recall a few where I started with the advantage, but they are rare, two that I can think of off hand.  If I were trying to maximize my K/D I'd never have engaged in most of those fights because my odds of winning were low.  K/D also greatly favors things like the La-7, Fw190D-9 and Typhoon.  K/H balances that out as it favors things that can get guns on sequential targets faster, like Spits and A6Ms.

While a multiplier for using harder aircraft sounds great, have fun with the arguments that produces.  Somethings we all agree are much harder to succeed in, such as the P-40s, particularly the C, but others currently carrying a high ENY are much more controversial, such as the Bf109F-4, Fw190A-5 and Mosquito Mk VI.

EDIT:

Total Kills doesn't work as a skill factor as it is simply a measure of how much time somebody plays or can play.  Vulching helps K/H when you get a willing enemy participant, sure, but it isn't common enough to overpower just general good K/H.

Good points here, but everyone has the same amount of time to get it done, everyone is on equal footing, that being said you do make a good point that just because I can play more than you that I am better, but thats just part of the picture and mean to even out the score for those who play off peak or get unlucky going into a fight that dries up (not in player control, therefore not indicative of skill as well).

. And did you just say vulching isn't common? Man, I wish 200 saw it that way! :)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »
Going into a gun fight with a knife isn't an indicator of skill..it just shows something is up with the modeling (that being said that the #1 pilot SHOULD be killed by the #2 pilot if the #1 pilot is flying a VERY disadvantaged aircraft..that or something is wrong with the modeling).

I think this is incorrect. The better pilot will always win regardless of the plane they fly. Why? Because they are better! It's not the size of the stick you're swinging, it's how you use it that matters. I've seen some really good sticks fly into fights in 30-40 ENY planes and just own everyone (5 ENY planes included). If the #2 pilot should be able to kill the #1 pilot simply because he was in a "better plane" then these great sticks in 30+ ENY planes would not be getting even 1 kill, let alone LANDING 5 or more. Saying they can because the flight modeling is wrong is just an excuse for having your P-51D shot down by a 109E4.   :devil

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
I think Kruel has been drinking, or dropped head first. This whole thing is "speshul"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 12:25:05 AM »
I think this is incorrect. The better pilot will always win regardless of the plane they fly. Why? Because they are better! It's not the size of the stick you're swinging, it's how you use it that matters.

The plane does matter, and actually quite a lot. Else there wouldn't be any need to perk the Tempest or the Me 262, or no one would call a Spit 16 "EZ mode" ;)
The closer the pilot's skill levels to each other are, the more the plane performance levels come into play. Only when there's an extreme pilot skill asymetry it doesn't matter at all what the 'better' pilot is in.

You will generally get very different overall results fighting in a P-40C vs fighting in a Ki-84 under the same circumstances...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:27:03 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »
I call Spit 16's "EZ Kills"  ;)

I don't know why people don't like them. I LOVE them! They give me so many perks when I shoot them down in my 109F4 or P-47D11!  :devil

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 01:23:35 AM »

The plane does matter, and actually quite a lot. Else there wouldn't be any need to perk the Tempest or the Me 262, or no one would call a Spit 16 "EZ mode" ;)
The closer the pilot's skill levels to each other are, the more the plane performance levels come into play. Only when there's an extreme pilot skill asymetry it doesn't matter at all what the 'better' pilot is in.

You will generally get very different overall results fighting in a P-40C vs fighting in a Ki-84 under the same circumstances...

this is dead on correct.

Baseless, incorrect and subjective...no..just no..Actually..prove me wrong and do it, Get 180 k/d , flying the way you fly (and without help from friends on friendly/enemy country) and Ill pay your Sub for 6 months..But you know me..you better have good documentation of who you kill! :D

TJ does not fly the way I fly...nor did he fly that way to get that K/D :rolleyes:

sorry but after 10 years of actually fighting in Aces High.....I think I know who is a good stick.... who is a great stick..... and who games the game. ;)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 02:11:13 AM »
Win a dogfight against a spitfire in a D9. The spit pilot cannot be a dumb newb. No running, no hoing, no roping, just a deck cold merge old fashioned fight.
Trust me, you will never ever be able to do that.

Until then, while youre talking about that skill = K/D ... well, keep running your spit from my dora - daddy's coming to get ya  :rofl
AoM
City of ice

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 04:11:45 AM »
That's what I am trying to fix! Honestly, do you remember when you got 50 stars(250 kills in a row with no deaths, for the non-ex-FAers) in FA? (I shouldn't have passed on you when I hit your engine at 37 stars, but I was trying to join the Damned at that point..didn't want to piss them off :D)

Now that I can probably say I have played this enough to compare the 2, I think its MUCH more difficult to get it here).

Yes I do!  but I would argue it was much harder in FA what with enemy name tags turned on and the fact that you are on a massive Ace streak with a big shoot me here sign strapped to your plane.

Also I did that in 2 days worth of play 16 hours or so.  In AH I would say building a big streak is easier because of the anonymity and the more pedestrian style of gameplay.  You normally only ever had the choice of 1 or 2 fronts with targets to kill, it was more condensed and faster paced increasing the chance of being killed.  In AH you can leave an area once you feel the game is up and not to your liking.

Your wish would promote guys flying more timid and that is why most here disagree with giving more weight to K/D over the other categories.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:15:18 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
Yes I do!  but I would argue it was much harder in FA what with enemy name tags turned on and the fact that you are on a massive Ace streak with a big shoot me here sign strapped to your plane.

Also I did that in 2 days worth of play 16 hours or so.  In AH I would say building a big streak is easier because of the anonymity and the more pedestrian style of gameplay.  You normally only ever had the choice of 1 or 2 fronts with targets to kill, it was more condensed and faster paced increasing the chance of being killed.  In AH you can leave an area once you feel the game is up and not to your liking.

Your wish would promote guys flying more timid and that is why most here disagree with giving more weight to K/D over the other categories.  

FA had a big "shoot me" sign attached to your icon? Can we PLEASE have this for AH2!??  :x

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:26 AM »
this is dead on correct.

TJ does not fly the way I fly...nor did he fly that way to get that K/D :rolleyes:

sorry but after 10 years of actually fighting in Aces High.....I think I know who is a good stick.... who is a great stick..... and who games the game. ;)

Yea if Joey flew like you his K/D would be much worse and any dueling fights would be over much quicker.   Just Saying.    :D

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »
FA had a big "shoot me" sign attached to your icon? Can we PLEASE have this for AH2!??  :x

Yes it was called Aces,   and was listed as * for 5 kills , ** 10 *** 15 and so on.   Anything over 5  went into number form  so   seeing  Damned _Bruv_ 50*    flying through the air would be one hell of a motivation to kill it.  Unfortunately latrobe it meant not being killed or you would lose them.    ;)

Quite often the Damned were flying around fields with large clusters of stars,  most people would just scatter or leave because they were either traumatised from their last engagement or in awe at such teamwork, dedication and skill.   Ajax, Vulcan, Smokin, playmate, rilak, soulslinger, klaatu, saint,   the list goes on.

If only we all played in the same universe and could have had a muppet vs damned squad match, it would have been a very intense fight and damned would have cleared up with their B team.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:31:26 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H