Author Topic: Pickup Mission Visability  (Read 735 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Pickup Mission Visability
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
what country do you guys fly for?  i need to join up with you guys.  we could roll on the knights because they are anti-mission dweebs and deserve to be punished for their selfish play.

+ 1 to promoting missions.

+ 1 for the amount of effort the game designer has put into making a very useful tool to help produce a robust fighting force.  A little promotion may go along way.

Herding cats is easier than getting Knights to join a mission (can probably be said at most times for other countries also).   Possibly Knights prefer to respond to defend against missions than organize one  :headscratch:  So, in this manner any attempt to roll Knights might be rewarding that very same anti mission sentiment. This is just like the second a can opener turns on a can of cat food at my house,  a stampede erupts.

:noid  I admit to my very own mission dweebery, and on occasion give in to James Earl Jones' inner voice, "If you make it, they will come."  :airplane:

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
I've tried in the past to simply maintain one or more pickupmissions available while I'm in flight, but aside from the Jayro Call-out on country channel, I have never seen the mad rush to fill a mission.  :cry

I realize it's all up in the air with a number of factors, but it just saddens me that i'm all alone on my own mission channel more often than not.  I still firmly believe that a visual indicator would draw more pilots to pickup missions, espcially if they can see at a glance what the mission objectives are.

not a complaint, I'll try not to do that as I've seen how well complaints and rants are received on the forumn.... with brutal and merciless retaliation.  :O
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
Dubious,

I agree with your intent, and your wish to provide better information about pending missions at a glance.  The problem is that currently, many are still overly concerned with "spiez"  :noid leaking information across country, and keeping their targets secret.

:furious

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
Dubious,

I agree with your intent, and your wish to provide better information about pending missions at a glance.  The problem is that currently, many are still overly concerned with "spiez"  :noid leaking information across country, and keeping their targets secret.

:furious

Fair enough. it's unfortunate that game flow adjustments need to be checked against multi-account cheaters and the like....    :mad:  I only say cheaters because their actions are defeating the intent of the game.  I know there will always be those who feel the need to bypass certain aspects of the game, for their own gain. I get it. There's baaaaaaaaaaaad sheep out there.

I also agree that (in my experience) the knights enjoy reacting to dar bars more than creating their own as a whole. There are good groups on the knits which are all about halting the advance of another country by counter-attacking strategic targets, but again, it seems more reactionary than anything.  Even last night, the steam roll from rooks on 156/157 at the center of the map could be watched on the clipboard map as 3 sectors of dar bar advanced on us. FBbob put up a mission to counter the onslaught which wasn't a failure, but only obtained 10-12 pilots. With 30-40 pilots just throwing their aircraft in the air across the whole map based on sporadic reports of the enemy attacks. I hate to admit it, but I've seen more turnout success on missions announced by Jayro than pickup missions. 

Maybe I just need better friends! At any rate, I still believe that making it easier for a pilot (especially a new pilot), will only promote the type of action that all players in the game enjoy; targets to shoot at!  Plus I know personally, I would rather have the protection of my countryman over getting caught with a red sky on my six because I wandered into enemy territory alone.  :neener:

Still a great game which gets my blood boiling and my hands sweating!

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
Knights that are base takers seem to like to do it in an uncoordinated way, they want to fly what they choose and so on. Freebirds are the only missions I see at all anymore, except impromptu Jayro, mssn's which I haven't seen him in a while either. It's just the way it is, for a long time I wondered why text goes silent when ppl mention mssn...It's just better to say I've deacked town and ord down, bring gvs and bombs...if you want to capture.

Otherwise, the other two sides don't seem to lack any more/less coordination than usual, imo.

Some maps have stayed up for the whole 7days lately, if anything Knights are defending more, or the other sides don't have the numbers to roll anymore. 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
i'm a knight- i don't really care for flying mission's, i've only flown 2 non-squad mission's  in 4 or 5 years and they failed--i'don't really care for taking base's-even  though i help once in awhile..
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 06:10:30 AM »
Lunatic,

You are absolutely welcome to your 15 bucks of whatever you please to do.   :salute  Only since you stepped up to express what many other subscribers of all countries feel, will I attempt to put the chess piece conundrum into prospective.

From Hitech Creations Front page, "Engage in air, sea or land combat .....Create your own missions .....Lead an assault in an amphibious vehicle ..... Hundreds of players simultaneously battle it out against each other in massive aerial dogfights and bomber raids ....."  Also, the front page advertises, "In the air, on land, and at sea, the battle rages 24 hours a day with participants from around the world." 

As  DubiousKB mentioned that even with small numbers of countrymen online they tend to spread out and defend against sporadic reports of enemy contacts near their bases.  Unfortunately, flying without wingmen or a comfortable level of friendly presence, (even if it is proximity flak or auto guns) most (not all) players tend to fly timid.  In fact, that is one of the signs of a decent stick, knowing how to position himself for the best possible outcome in his/ her favor.

:headscratch: Now I forget, why do these "bad guys" trespass over our neatly arranged and numbered fields....  ? 
Oh, that's right they r z win z warz dweebz  :rolleyes:

Well, newsflash, the base capture war, was put into the game as a catalyst to draw folks into the above mentioned "action".   

However, some country members (not necessarily Lunatic) have no concern for maintaining distance between enemy forces and friendly strategic resources, nor for maintaining the task groups or other gains that earlier countrymen had put in the necessary effort to obtain.

So, by avoiding the mission / joint effort, a useful level of communication is lost for entire countries sometimes and taken advantage of by others to complete meaningful tasks.  Simply responding to the enemies movements, quickly amounts to chasing your own shadow, and giving the enemy easy kills in many cases.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
+1   :aok

I would like to know inflight if a mission is posted.  I hate when I miss a good mission because I found out too late. 
:airplane: Would be nice if AH would just put a "star" or something in he corner of the text buffer to let people know a mission was posted. Would save a lot of messaging in the text buffer to announce a mission was posted!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
1st i live in texas so i pay 16.95 a month-gladly by the way---so if i understand your answer to my post,correctly--it is  wrong of me to not join missions-have a wingman-or take bases, or play this game the way others want me to play it? look if somebody needs supps i help..if somebody needs troops i will help..if smoebody needs their 6 cleared, i will do my best to do it....i've run base and town supplies to get them back up and defend it after everybody else has left..i've run as many as 10-12 supply runs many times by myself to get base's and towns up..just because i perfer not to join a mission, ground or air.thats my perogative.if i want to i will if i don't i won't..bye
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
:airplane: Would be nice if AH would just put a "star" or something in he corner of the text buffer to let people know a mission was posted. Would save a lot of messaging in the text buffer to announce a mission was posted!

Exactly!  Doesn't have to be much, just something that makes it VISIBLE to countrymen without annoying them on text buffer. I like the icon idea, but put it on the base where the mission is forming. May get a few more pilots at least checking the mission out.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
1st i live in texas so i pay 16.95 a month-gladly by the way---so if i understand your answer to my post,correctly--it is  wrong of me to not join missions-have a wingman-or take bases, or play this game the way others want me to play it? look if somebody needs supps i help..if somebody needs troops i will help..if smoebody needs their 6 cleared, i will do my best to do it....i've run base and town supplies to get them back up and defend it after everybody else has left..i've run as many as 10-12 supply runs many times by myself to get base's and towns up..just because i perfer not to join a mission, ground or air.thats my perogative.if i want to i will if i don't i won't..bye

i can respect that lunatic.  :salute  I just wanted to make it easier for those who do enjoy "teaming" up. i get that we all pay our fee and enjoy the game which suits us best. That's what makes this game great! 

Only wanted to play "together" more is all. And yes, I understand that it's the people (and country) who determine how the game plays out. Just like in real life, I can't expect everyone to behave the way I want them to.  :devil I have also kept my eyes on the text buffer and respond when required...   (oh and good on you for the multiple supply runs, that's boring!!!!!)   :salute

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »
Wishing to stay on subject, and yet correct Lunatic's misunderstanding, all that I was attempting to say is, anything that promotes action is good.  DubiousKB's wish to increase the visibility and draw players to the mission planner tool in game, has merit and possibly would increase the amount of usage it gets, and also reduce the amount of spam needed to notify players there is a mission posted and maybe even detailed at a glance.

All of those things that Lunatic mentions doing, fit in perfectly with a well balanced "team" player.  However, my earlier post was in response to:

i'm a knight- i don't really care for flying mission's, i've only flown 2 non-squad mission's  in 4 or 5 years and they failed--i'don't really care for taking base's-even  though i help once in awhile..

Missions generally fail for the same reasons, missed objectives, bad timing, insufficient forces.  Missions generally succeed when there is an element of air superiority which allows completion of necessary objectives in time.

It is just the sentiment surrounding not caring for base take (based on past negative experiences), that can be bad for the game.  Nobody is saying that every player should be hitched to a horde. Quite the opposite, I think that a robust choice in missions (planned or dar dependent), produces the best action that Aces High has to offer.

I would suspect that folks that follow Jayro (and a few others also known for the same) have a certain level of expectation that flying the mission would produce a good outcome.  Sometimes this is a matter of having enough players to complete the objectives.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
I'm just sayin-oh never mind i'll just quit now.