Author Topic: Replacement for the Brew  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Replacement for the Brew
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
I believe it is a much bigger threat than either and I'm sure I'm not in a minority. You have your opinion. I have mine.
Yeah, but the stats support me.  Your opinion may be your opinion, but it is also factually wrong.

Tour 172, LWA:
A6M3: Kills: 535 Deaths: 834 K/D: 0.64
B239: Kills: 988 Deaths: 1471 K/D: 0.67
FM2: Kills: 1479 Deaths: 1509    K/D: 0.98
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
LilMak, one only need to look at the comparison performance charts to see it is not possible for the Brewster to accelerate like a Spit 16.  Those charts are generated from the flight model engine of the game and are absolutely representative for those models in the game.  No opinions needed.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=0&pw=2&p1=101&p2=86&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Not saying that Lilmak is right. Far from it. BUT...this is comparison of top speed, NOT acceleration of any kind, thus it doesn't have much bearing. One could use the same kind of chart to claim that the Spitfire XVI has no acceleration advantage over the P-51D, when in fact it out accelerates the heck out of the Mustang on the low end.

LilMak, one only need to look at the comparison performance charts to see it is not possible for the Brewster to accelerate like a Spit 16.  Those charts are generated from the flight model engine of the game and are absolutely representative for those models in the game.  No opinions needed.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=0&pw=2&p1=101&p2=86&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
Not saying that Lilmak is right. Far from it. BUT...this is comparison of top speed, NOT acceleration of any kind, thus it doesn't have much bearing.

You have to click on "climb rate". Climb rate is a result of excess power, as is level acceleration...  :old:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »
          keep in control at 600+mph                              the only way i've ever gotten a brewster to get even close 600mph was to dive straight down,don't remember what the speed was when the wings ripped off.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:36:28 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
I am with LilMak on this one.  There must be an error in the drag.  I don't think the error is definable by anyone testing it in the game.  It could be the error comes in at speed since drag is proportional to the square of the velocity.

I don't think any of us have the parasitic drag coefficient in our back pocket and i don't think HTC does either for these early war planes.

These things did not have self-sealing gas tanks either.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:55:45 PM by Randy1 »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
I am with LilMak on this one.  There must be an error in the drag.  I don't think the error is definable by anyone testing it in the game.  It could be the error comes in at speed since drag is proportional to the square of the velocity.

I don't think any of us have the parasitic drag coefficient in our back pocket and i don't think HTC does either for these early war planes.

These things did not have self-sealing gas tanks either.
Well thats pretty vague so Im going to assume that you agree with him when he says that the b239 accelerates like a spit. I find it difficult to understand why you agree with that when the test results I posted in this thread show that the b239 accelerates much worse than a spit16.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
 I don't think the error is definable by anyone testing it in the game.  It could be the error comes in at speed since drag is proportional to the square of the velocity.

That would be quite testable. Just conduct high speed deceleration and e-retention tests.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
That would be quite testable. Just conduct high speed deceleration and e-retention tests.

And compare them against what?

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
 Just a question to others who may know more about Finland's roll in the air war in WWII. Why was Finland replacing the Brewster with the G model 109s as fast as they could. Was it a manufacturing problem in producing enough Brewsters or was it because the 109Gs was superior planes?  :headscratch:

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Yeah, but the stats support me.  Your opinion may be your opinion, but it is also factually wrong.

Tour 172, LWA:
A6M3: Kills: 535 Deaths: 834 K/D: 0.64
B239: Kills: 988 Deaths: 1471 K/D: 0.67
FM2: Kills: 1479 Deaths: 1509    K/D: 0.98

Those numbers are about as comprehensive as using my thrust to weight calculations for the entire flight model.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
Two things.

1)  No one has ever presented any data to show the modeling is incorrect.  Quite the opposite, actually.
2)  I see a lot of wild claims, but have not seen any films to bolster said claims.

No point in anyone getting all worked up about this.  It is all in the numbers.  Just show some valid data.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:54:16 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
Two things.

1)  No one has ever presented any data to show the modeling is incorrect.  Quite the opposite, actually.
2)  I see a lot of wild claims, but have not seen any films to bolster said claims.

No point in anyone getting all worked up about this.  It is all in the numbers.  Just show some valid data.

And the Wiki says:

Fighting against the Brewster B-239

. . .  If he is on your 6, all you have to do is fly away from him.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
Just a question to others who may know more about Finland's roll in the air war in WWII. Why was Finland replacing the Brewster with the G model 109s as fast as they could. Was it a manufacturing problem in producing enough Brewsters or was it because the 109Gs was superior planes?  :headscratch:
Yes the 109g is a superior fighter. The brewsters were only replaced when they wore out. They started the war with only 44 of them, by the end of the war there were only half a dozen of them still servicable, but the were in service until the end of the war. I don't think Finland manufactured any fighter airplanes, I think they were all imported. So they couldn't have replaced their brewsters with brewsters if they wanted to.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »
 I don't think the error is definable by anyone testing it in the game.

So how did you notice it?