Author Topic: Oxygen equipment  (Read 1658 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Oxygen equipment
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
The Germans were primary using zeppelins for long range bombing. And depressurizing in this case mean that they were making holes in the zeppelin cases and hopefully ignited them. Its a completley different thing than what we discuss here.
I bet you're the life of the party.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »

I am not living in the United States...
I apologize I had no idea that PBS was ran by a bunch of jackboot nationalists.

Basically it explains that regular machine gun ammo in 1916 wasn't making big enough holes in the bombers to bring them down so they invented a bullet that would set fire to the bomber's skin.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:59:43 PM by FLOOB »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
But still. It was zeppelins, not aircrafts. And it has nothing to do with pressurised cabins.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
But still. It was zeppelins, not aircrafts. And it has nothing to do with pressurised cabins.
Everyone's a comedian..

Wo wohnst du?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
I think Airco had the first true pressurized cockpit around 1920 (maybe shortly after). The effects of Hypoxia can hit people differently and may take effect upon people as low as 5,000 feet. A very small percentage of WWII pilots washed out because they could not maintain normal coordination above 5,000 feet. I think the US tested pilots at 8-12,000 early on in their flight program. Some brilliant engineer had calculated how much oxygen the average person would need over a set amount of time, and the gear was calibrated to deliver that amount. If you could not maintain normal function without oxygen below 12,000 feet, then you would not survive the average mission because you would be consuming too much of your supplied oxygen. Meanwhile, there would be plenty of oxygen for someone that could breath easy, as it were.

The amount of oxygen available increases with altitude. The ability to maintain a pressure altitude of 8,000 feet decreases as altitude increases above 23,000 feet (actually varies from aircraft to aircraft).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »
Meh..

http://www.authorsden.com/categories/article_top.asp?catid=73&id=36665

"Germany was one of the earliest nations involved in the First World War to recognize and address the need by aviators of aircraft and dirigibles for supplemental oxygen. The great Zeppelin dirigibles, by virtue of their ability to fly at higher altitudes, were the first war craft outfitted with aircrew oxygen systems, which were at first of the conventional compressed gas type, contained in iron storage flasks. Soon, however, the heavy storage flasks were replaced by early liquid oxygen generating systems. These systems were devised and produced by the Draeger Company, a company long associated with respiratory and resuscitation equipment for mining use. Other systems were produced by the Ahrend and Heylandt Company. It wasn’t long before some higher flying German bombers and fighters were equipped with these small, lightweight liquid oxygen systems. Oxygen could be breathed from these small ‘personal’ liquid oxygen systems through use of a mouthpiece (frequently called a ‘pipe stem’) that could be held clenched in the mouth of an aviator. The tube providing the oxygen was attached (on the German systems) to a large rebreathing bag positioned nearer the unit than the ‘pipe stem’, so that although the oxygen flow rate was continuous, more of the gas could be saved and reused in the process that would have otherwise been wasted."
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Matter of fact, incendiary tracer ammo was invented in WWI in britain for the very purpose of depressurizing german bombers.

You obviously typed that after your "Time of Useful Conciousness" had run out.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
You obviously typed that after your "Time of Useful Conciousness" had run out.
Are you saying that Nova got it wrong?

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:05 AM »
Floob actually made me laugh, just not as much as the rush of replies to discount his post.

Everything he said was true, he was just being a little facetious. :aok
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
Are you saying that Nova got it wrong?

Yes, if they are claiming the tracers were specifically developed to counter the Zeppelin threat.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
don't worry coal your cartoon pilot won't suffocate and die in you cartoon plane
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.