Author Topic: Weak peeps..  (Read 9072 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Weak peeps..
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
I agree, actually. The primary challenge is that the players who care are, for the most part, already here.
I'm not sure that is entirely true. Apparently this game is hard to find-I joined in 2006 because of the commercials during "Dogfights" on History, as did a lot of other people. I don't think that commercial has been widely aired in awhile now. And like I say, Aces High isn't being advertised in aviation enthusiast magazines or on the Internet well either. I have an FB friend who is a textbook example-Guarantee you he is EXACTLY the type to dig into realistic ACM wholeheartedly, but War Thunder got to him first, so now convincing him to try Aces High is running into that whole switching games inertia. So I'm almost certain there are a large number of potential AH enthusiasts who don't even know it exists.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:43:36 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Exactly. There must be a pair of parents in Texas who are freaking geniuses because you seem to think as I do. IMO, there is no way in hell that contingent is played out. It's just under exploited.

Let's take an anecdotal case - call him Dan, because that's ( two cases, actually, both similar) his name. Both Dan's are in their 50's. both have two kids nearly, in, or just graduated from college, both are married, and both are huge WWII fans. Neither would have awareness of ah had I not told them. Neither is particularly afraid of 15/month, although both have some fear of:
1. The hardware hurdle -needing to go get a stick/pedals. One of the Dans has both but doesn't have time to set them up.
2. The learning curve
3. The arena/competitive aspect ( both are concerned they'll embarrass themselves, something I have ceased to fear via lots of practical experience in same)

Let's take another anecdotal case, call him Tono. Tono is also in his 50's and is a huge WwII fan. Tono's only hurdle is that he's an aging playboy who refuses to commit to anything other than boats and motorcycles and steadfastly refuses to pay 14.95 a month for something he gets for free, sort of, over at WT.

I think the two Dans are a better contingent to pursue but, in some ways, their hurdle is higher and ties, in a way, to Skyyr's point about relevance. Yes, pretty graphics are important for relevance but, especially in the case of some of these older guys with careers and families, so is ease of use. Is there some way to, pusher style, bring these guys in via an improved awareness campaign and some kind of easy mode intro arena?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
Let's just support advertising and see where the two-week numbers fall.   Predicting market response to a WWII game in 2014 probably has a beta of about "not relevant"
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
Now I'm not one to complain about the game.. but the bailing thing is annoying.. That is just weak and pathetic.. If you don't want to fight, don't even "up"  This is the result of cowardice and weakness on the bailers part..

Warbirds handled that through proxy kills.  I am all for losers who bail when I get a kill for it. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:06 AM »
I think HT should banish all the bomb and bailers, HOers, pickers, runners, ack huggers, hoarders, vulchers, spawn campers, alt monkeys and toolshedders from the game.  Then the dozen or so guys willing to fight to the death no matter what can all log on at different times of day and complain about not being able to find a fight.   :aok
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
I think HT should banish all the bomb and bailers, HOers, pickers, runners, ack huggers, hoarders, vulchers, spawn campers, alt monkeys and toolshedders from the game.  Then the dozen or so guys willing to fight to the death no matter what can all log on at different times of day and complain about not being able to find a fight.   :aok

you forgot bomb****s......I give this idea a +1 :rofl
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
I think HT should banish all the bomb and bailers, HOers, pickers, runners, ack huggers, hoarders, vulchers, spawn campers, alt monkeys and toolshedders from the game.  Then the dozen or so guys willing to fight to the death no matter what can all log on at different times of day and complain about not being able to find a fight.   :aok

"Should banish"?  :headscratch: You sure this isn't already (Unintentionally) in progress

Methinks the "berserker" types might just get their wish soon. Hoping I am wrong about that...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:47:36 AM by Zerstorer »
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Book 'em Dano
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
Death to all who oppose me.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »
Warbirds handled that through proxy kills.  I am all for losers who bail when I get a kill for it. 

Always felt proxies should actually count as a kill here exactly the same as a gunnery death, not just in score but for perks as well.

One thing someone once said that always stuck with me, "My final weapon is the ground."

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
Always felt proxies should actually count as a kill here exactly the same as a gunnery death, not just in score but for perks as well.

One thing someone once said that always stuck with me, "My final weapon is the ground."

Wiley.

Indeed.   A kill is a kill, maneuver, proxie, or guns/bombs/rockets.
”KILLER V”

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

Indeed.   A kill is a kill, maneuver, proxie, or guns/bombs/rockets.

True.  But a proxy kill is kinda like kissing your Aunt Ethel i.e. unpleasant.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:14 PM »

If I scare someone enough they prefer to bail than fight I deserve the kill.   I won't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak.
”KILLER V”

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

If I scare someone enough they prefer to bail than fight I deserve the kill.   I won't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak.

The difficulty is that most proxies aren't simple.  Other players proximity to the auger or the proxy was damaged severely in a fight with a green guy but that green guy got dead.  Those awards shouldn't be given because they truly weren't earned.  I understand why some people would want them though.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »

Oh no...  An actual proxy kill IMO can be extremely satisfying.

One of my most memorable moments in WBs was getting jumped by 3 KI-84s trying to gang me.  All 3 of them were grouped up at my six trying to kill me and we were still at fairly high speed.  I saw I was at the right alt to do it, and did a split-S riding the blackout tunnel around going level a couple hundred feet off the deck.  2 lawn darts behind me and it was now 1v1 with the fight reset because bandit 3 saw what I was doing and didn't follow.

While not as satisfying as if I'd killed all 3 with masterful ACM and brilliant snapshots obviously, it worked and it felt good at the time.

The difficulty is that most proxies aren't simple.  Other players proximity to the auger or the proxy was damaged severely in a fight with a green guy but that green guy got dead.  Those awards shouldn't be given because they truly weren't earned.  I understand why some people would want them though.

I get what you're saying, IMO in situations like that kills should also be awarded posthumously.  Most times I get proxies though it's because I'm turning hard with a bandit who misjudged where Earth Mother was exactly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11