Author Topic: What can you tell me about this...  (Read 609 times)

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
What can you tell me about this...
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
•Intel® Core i5-4440 Processor - With 4th Gen Intel® Core™ processors that perform 15% better than the previous generation, you can blaze through system-intensive applications like video editing, HD video playback, serious multitasking and extreme gaming
•8GB DDR3 system memory provides superb performance
•1TB hard drive so you can store your family's most important files and media
•4 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports - Connect super fast with your USB 3.0 ports, which can transfer data at speeds up to ten times faster than USB 2.0
•Windows® 8.1

it has a integrated gphcs chip: Intel® HD Graphics 4600

This is what i am looking at getting for my next computer. Before you flame at the graphics i will prob buy a graphics card for it later. My question is though do you guys think this is a ok rig to start out with and add upgrades to especially the graphics card. Also i have seen where a couple people on other forums have had problems adding graphics cards to computers with integrated graphics, is that something that should concern me and make me steer away from it. The computer would be a brand new rig just over 500 to start. Other than a graphics card (btw probably end up getting something around Nvidia GTX760 or higher) is there any thing else that i would want to upgrade right away?

I am not looking for some super gaming computer just somthing that i can run mid level graphics on a couple games like DCS-Flaming Cliffs, on here AH, SimCity, Civ 5 those are the type of games im running right now.
8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: What can you tell me about this...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
it would be better if you post a link to what you are buying.  not enough information to really say yes or not. 

but the mention that you can do extreme gaming without a video card is basically a lie.  and if you are spending 500 bucks it looks like it is a basic model that you most likely wont be able to upgrade later on.  other than to add a video card  and depending on the set up it may also limit which vc you can get.

in other words, they're adding big words to make you buy it, but it could be a mistake.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
This appears to be a Dell, I would guess around an XPS-8700 or something close.   Dunno how proprietary the cases are nowadays, but upgrading the video card will more than likely involve replacing the power supply.   In doing so, finding one that is the proper wattage and will actually fit.   Even if this not a Dell, the same will apply in regards to the dimensions of the power supply.

Also, using on board graphics, you will be lucky to use Medium settings.

My. $.02
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
yes it is a dell computer at hhgregg. if that helps.
8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
The specs are alright, but as others already have told, the Intel chip isn't good for gaming, especially not good for Aces High. You're on a right track with your video card choice, a decent high class card makes good bang for the buck. Again, it's been already mentioned that you'd have to replace the power supply in order to feed the new video card. Also possible measure and cabling issues have been mentioned. Quite many things to take into consideration!

My suggestion is to build a computer from scratch using the dell specs as a guideline added with the necessary improvements.

This is what I came up using www.pcpartpicker.com for a roughly similar one than your suggestion, only way more upgradable. I believe it should also be a tad faster, although I chose the parts with price in mind just as Dell would... Just add a video card of your choice:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZxkfnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZxkfnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($182.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($88.79 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($16.01 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $630.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni