Author Topic: Gunnery Basics Course - 6/25 TA 7:30 Central  (Read 543 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Gunnery Basics Course - 6/25 TA 7:30 Central
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
Hello all,

I'm planning to run the Gunnery Basics Course again tomorrow starting around 7:30 CENTRAL TIME in the TA.  Feel free to attend if you are interested.

The course is about 2 hours long, covering some basic concepts first, including using gunsights, convergence settings and the effects of range on the the bullet stream, then goes into some practice methods that allow you to hone your setup (especially stick scaling), improve your shooting skills, and effectively practice and test things on your own.

I plan to follow this course up with some sessions on deflection shooting and setting up snaps shots, which I'll do sometime in the next couple months.  People who attend the first course will have priority for the second one.

A PM to let me know you may be attending would be helpful, but feel free to just drop in.

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Gunnery Basics Course - 6/25 TA 7:30 Central
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
Ryno - I haven't searched the boards to see if this exists... but I bet many people would love to see this captured on film with commentary - for those who can't log in during those times.

<S>
atlau

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Compared to most of you jockeys I'm still pretty new to this game. I wanted to thank ryno for the class. I learned a lot in two hours and it also gave me lots to think about. Morph showed up and offered some advice as well. A Video would be awesome, however actually being in the class is highly recommended. When I had to leave class it had been almost three hours. I look forward to the next class. Peace.  :joystick:
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »
Ryno - I haven't searched the boards to see if this exists... but I bet many people would love to see this captured on film with commentary - for those who can't log in during those times.

<S>
atlau

Hello Atlau,

I could possibly hold the course on a weekend earlier in the day, so it would be in the evening for Euro folks.  Let me know if that would work for you or suggestions on times.  I have found that I can run a couple players through the whole thing in around 2 hours, provided there aren't a lot of questions or interruptions.

That said, Vudu15 did film the very first session I did.  I wasn't 100% pleased with how they turned out, which was mostly my fault since I hadn't run the course in a while (please see issues below).  You can find it in a series of films (6 total) on his You Tube page.  Here is the link to the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoeZIX5TnAI

BEFORE WATCHING THESE a couple things to bear in mind. First, my push to talk button wasn't functioning well, so I cut out more than I would have liked, so my apologies for that. (I used the T key more the second night.)  If there are any points in the video that aren't clear as a result, please feel free to PM me any questions.

Second, I think Vudu may have gone AFK for part of the 1st and 2nd video where I am using the .target command to show the effects of range on the bullet stream.  His view also isn't zoomed all the way in, making it not quite as clear as it is when you are doing it "live".  So, my suggestion is to bring up the video in the background, then go in the TA to any field and listen to the video while following the instructions on the .target commands, so you can better see what I am talking about with regard to the bullet patterns at the different ranges.

Lastly, bear in mind this is only an Introduction to the Fundamentals of Gunnery.  It is meant to show people ways to think about gunnery, address issues that might be affecting their gunnery, and then test and practice their gunnery setups in other aircraft on their own.  I hope you do find it helpful.

<S>
Ryno

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:36:55 PM by Kingpin »
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
Compared to most of you jockeys I'm still pretty new to this game. I wanted to thank ryno for the class. I learned a lot in two hours and it also gave me lots to think about. Morph showed up and offered some advice as well. A Video would be awesome, however actually being in the class is highly recommended. When I had to leave class it had been almost three hours. I look forward to the next class. Peace.  :joystick:

Hello GunFTR,

I'm glad you liked the course.  Your session was definitely the longest it's ever taken.  I do my best to get through all the demonstrations and exercises while trying to address everyone's questions/issues as well.  Normally it's just a tad over 2 hours depending on how long we spend with the Aim Small, Miss Small exercise and if we take a break in the middle.  We had an unusual number of people showing up late, who I tried to work into the course -- I haven't figured out the most "amicable" way of dealing with that issue yet, so I appreciate you patience.  We also had lots of good questions and a good deal of input from Morf, which was great, but that did add an unusual amount of time to the course as well.  Again, my apologies if it took longer than you would have liked.  Maybe I should just start saying the course will be between 2 to 3 hours, "depending"...  ;)

<S>
Ryno

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
No apologies needed sir. If you will remember that third  hour was an exercise that was really hard and fun. Thanks again.
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
No apologies needed sir. If you will remember that third  hour was an exercise that was really hard and fun. Thanks again.

Cool.  Have you tried it against the offline drones in a 30-degree bank yet?  That is a tad harder still.  :devil

Thanks again for the comments.  The positive feedback I've gotten from folks really makes doing this worthwhile for me.

<S>
Ryno