Author Topic: 11.75" Tiny Tim rocket.  (Read 1624 times)

Offline camnite

• Copper Member
Re: 11.75" Tiny Tim rocket.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
The pv-2 harpoon carried two in its bombay, not sure on the pv-1
"I pledge allegiance to the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama, and to the tradition for which it stands, one nation under Saban, undefeated, with championships and victory over all"
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
The pv-2 harpoon carried two in its bombay, not sure on the pv-1

The Ventura. That's a great looking airplane.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline camnite

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
I made a wish for it years ago, seeing as the commonwealth loved it, was more than capable of handling itself, and could outrun a zero. Nobody liked the idea. I know the tiny tim was used alot up in attu against the kurile islands.
"I pledge allegiance to the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama, and to the tradition for which it stands, one nation under Saban, undefeated, with championships and victory over all"
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »
I made a wish for it years ago, seeing as the commonwealth loved it, was more than capable of handling itself, and could outrun a zero. Nobody liked the idea. I know the tiny tim was used alot up in attu against the kurile islands.
I like the idea. +1 to the Ventura. We need more Pac War types, generally. When do I get my Ki-44 Shoki, btw. It's mid-war so-so bird but it sure would be a fun add.

Boomerang and Wirraway would be nice as well. Don't forgets my TBD Devastated either. Then we could do the whole Midway thing.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
From some digging around.

The only two carriers with the "Tiny Tim" aboard were the USS Intrepid and the USS Franklin. The USS Franklin was put out of action on March 19, 1945, when she was some 50 miles off the coast of Japan, and before she had a chance to use her "Tiny Tim" rockets in combat. Thus, it fell to the USS Intrepid to make the first combat use of these rocket on March 24, 1945, against caves on Okinawa.

--------------------------------------------------

11.75" Rocket, Tiny Tim

Length: 123 inches
Diameter: 11.75 inches
Weight: 1,284 lbs
Warhead Mass: 590 lb SAP, of which 150 lbs is HE
Motor Mass: 146~ lbs of propellant
Velocity: 810 ft/sec above that of launching aircraft
Range: Accurate out to 4,000 yards
Penetration: 3 to 4 feet of reinforced concrete

Notes: At a meeting on 2 February 1944, the preliminary specifications were agreed upon for "a really big rocket" -- motor tube approx 12" in diameter, a propellant charge of four 40 pound motors, and a total weight of approximately 1,200 lbs. By late April 1944, a complete rocket had been fired.

In August 1944, a test drop of a Tiny Tim killed a test pilot, causing a slight delay in development of the missile. The solution to the test drop problem was to have the rocket be released from a rocket rack and ignited by means of a 8-foot lanyard. This meant that accuracy was of course, quite poor.

The F4U, F6F and PBJ were qualified to operate the Tiny Tim – VMB-612 on Okinawa had modified PBJ-1Js capable of carrying two Tiny Tims, one on each side on the fuselage above the bomb bay doors, and flew 10 missions with them between 21 July 1945 and 14 August 1945.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.