Author Topic: Oculus Rift DK2 due to ship in July - will HTC support it?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Oculus Rift DK2 due to ship in July - will HTC support it?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
And at least one rather brilliant individual is in near agreement.

That statement wasn't agreeing with you.  It was highlighting the failures of the dev kit, something the Oculus guys also highlighted repeatedly.  Whether they have solved them effectively, well, we'll see.  I am somewhat skeptical that the passthrough camera will work successfully as the solution to the "where is the keyboard" problem.  I do believe that they have solved the latency, bluring and 6 degrees of freedom problems.  If the consumer version is 1440p it will be high enough resolution to work with.  I don't think 1080p will cut it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
And at least one rather brilliant individual is in near agreement.

No, HiTech's comments do not validate your statement that "OR is dead technology".  Nice try though.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 11:11:36 PM »
Yes it does. You are simply being slow to understand the true meaning.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »

challenge I believe that the meaning was that OR is not yet a valid technology.  Not exactly dead but it isnt a for sure thing either.   somebody spending a zillion dollars and made a few developers happy isnt exactly the same as it is the next big thing either.

OR has been postponing their big release already.  makes me think that a one year delay is more of a "how drunk did we get when we made that offer" thing.

I think both sides are right and nobody is wrong yet, at least not for another year till it is or isnt proven.  but look on the bright side some developers made a bunch of money  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: to them.  let's just hope those who made the offer wont start thinking they over paid like the guy who bought the clippers  :uhoh.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 07:20:25 AM »
"Not ready for prime time" is not the same as "dead end technology".  The first statement, HiTech's,  indicates that certain problems have to be addressed before it is ready, which the very fact that a consumer version has not been released confirms the Oculus team agreed with HiTech.  The second statement, yours, indicates that there is no future for the technology, that it is fundamentally and fatally flawed and cannot be proceeded with, that it should be entirely scrapped and rethought.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
Chalenge has already declared the OR to be dead technology.

Very doubtful. For one thing you can set AH up to where a keyboard is mostly unnecessary and one could create a flip mount for the HMD for when it is absolutely necessary.

Also, a camera could be added for another view. I suppose that is what the "pass through" concept is.

The biggest no go on all these like the vuzix models was unreadable text. If they truly have the resolution worked out this is going to work quite well.

In the other thread, Challenge called the virtuix omni dead as well, but these two combined will add an exercise component to gaming. I'd rather storm the beaches than jog around the park.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:09 PM »
You lot do realize  that have been using various VR headsets on AH for over 8 years now?

So all your ifs and  maybes are already prove wrong.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
You lot do realize  that have been using various VR headsets on AH for over 8 years now?

So all your ifs and  maybes are already prove wrong.

the first I saw was in 1990 and it went nowhere,  which is where most are right now.  No guarantee they will be successful.   Well some developers are now millionaires but the product itself hasn't been successful. 

Who knows if it will ever be

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy. Oculus. DK2.  :D
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.