Author Topic: Tool Shedding-Get rid of it.  (Read 7219 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Tool Shedding-Get rid of it.
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
I think this is quite likely, even though the wish is reasonable and I can justify it logically. How are those player numbers again?

toolshedders killing hangars/cv's may ruin it for you, but have you considered how ace furballers ruin it for the baby seals they like clubbing?

everyone gets to ruin each other's favorite mode of play in this game.. that's what makes it great... you can go drop bombs on tanks, vulch fighters, intercept bombers, bomb cv's, kill vulchers with ack, shut down hangars, etc... don't like it? go stop them!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
Personally id like to see it set up were if a field lost all its fighter hangars only planes ENY 30 and above could be launched, this way buffs can still take down hangars but defenders can still defend even if the field is vulched.

Its my $14.95 and if i want to take off from a vulched field and disrupt the horde in my yak7b or hurri1 why shouldn't i be allowed to ?

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
I have read the majority of this thread and there are some erudite arguments, however BnZ does have a reasonable point.

The argument of "it's their $15" only goes so far.

It's like saying: "everyone pays their car tax, so they should be allowed to drive however the hell they like, if you feel it's destroying your enjoyment of driving?  Simply modify the way you drive"

There really are some behaviours in this game that are detrimental to the experience of playing as a whole.

This is a question of moderation, I was riding my bike the other day and thinking about something similar.

It is fairly universally accepted that it is wise to fly by the Dikta Boelcka, fair enough, however you would have everyone at their absolute ceiling, all flying in the same direction with sun at their backs, there simply would not be a fight, so on one hand the Dikta would work, as no one would get shot down.

I have yet to find anyone, short of those being blatantly belligerent, who admits to, what are considered to be the morally debatable forms of gameplay, i.e picking, vulching, hoing, toolshedding, bumbturding,hordeing, ganging and about 10 other "ings" :old:

"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
toolshedders killing hangars/cv's may ruin it for you, but have you considered how ace furballers ruin it for the baby seals they like clubbing?

The distinction between losing a fight and not even being given the opportunity to fight, win or lose, is an important one.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:59:46 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
This would be better than the current system alright. Anything that doesn't totally kill combat would be.

Personally id like to see it set up were if a field lost all its fighter hangars only planes ENY 30 and above could be launched, this way buffs can still take down hangars but defenders can still defend even if the field is vulched.

Its my $14.95 and if i want to take off from a vulched field and disrupt the horde in my yak7b or hurri1 why shouldn't i be allowed to ?

EatG
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
BnZ you ask for reasonable responses and when you get dozens of them you ignore them and stick to the only bit of logic you have posted and that is tool shedders spoil YOUR fun.

Me first response was both a little jab at your rumored style of flying as well as pointing out a different way of having fun. If HTC should set it up so you could not "pick" an engaged aircraft would it spoil some players "fun"? Of course it would, some people live to fight that way. Its the same as tool shedders.

My "score" for what it is worth, shows I up from a base out away from the fight and fly TO the fights instead of upping UNDER them.

I happen to agree with you that there is less fighting in the game, but it is NOT because HTC allows toolshedders to do there thing. You said it yourself that years ago there were longer furballs, we still had buffs and bombs and all hangers were easy enough to destroy back then, what changed? The players changed.

Todays players don't train or try to get better at fighting, they just avoid it and capture fields. To todays players a big darbar (furball) looks like a base take and so they "help" by dropping the hangers. Changing the play style of todays players is what your really looking for. If HTC took away to ablity to bomb hangers you would get bigger hordes..... the ones we have now are big enough thank-you.... and you would chase away those who like to help take bases.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
Today with so much over scaled territory on maps from another era in the game. We have fewer players scrambling for quality moments that are not consumed by watching the map to try and catch up with three or four attackers against out of the way places. Granted those might end up becoming something bigger, maybe. The single big country vs country dars on average are going to attract everything because that's where the people are. And they are going to use the tools provided within the mechanics that followed us out of our giant hoard era.

Except for a few nights a week, maps of maybe 12x12 sectors would equate the action we once had in the hoard era with 400-600 players on our super sized purpose built maps to manage the hoards.

Now that there are not hungry defenders everywhere all the time to interfere with bombers going to the strats. And longer stretches of empty territory. The bombers are following the action again like they did years ago. The strats were once a nice idea in the past for the really hardcore strategic players.

BnZ is loudly identifying an imbalance that I hope Hitech is musing over with the new game release coming up. We once had hoards avoiding combat against each other and Hitech took notice to change that. Today the sheer area of our maps allows our smaller numbers to avoid combat again, or stall out between two fields with little territory movement. While the few players who like bombers and short flights to the action, are impacting the limited quality group actions the fighter jocks get each evening. Because on our giant wasteland maps, that's where the people are.

You should try being a knight fighter jock. I watch the knights furball on the deck around their field half way to the enemy field while being warned the town is down, and all the hangers are down. And warned to start looking for M3. Then suddenly we no longer have the great furball on the deck anymore. Then just like that a bunch of knights all have to go to bed. And it's the crapz getting another one started up after that. There will always be players who see your back turned to them as the best moment to kick you in the rear. In the MA you rarely get to be totally ADHD all night long on the single aspect of the game that gives you a woodie. BnZ has played this game long enough to know that.

BnZ is simplifying what he has identified due to emotions. But, he is not incorrect in spirit. Some kind of changes relevant to lower numbers in the MA are in order which only Hitech can implement.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
BnZ you ask for reasonable responses and when you get dozens of them you ignore them and stick to the only bit of logic you have posted and that is tool shedders spoil YOUR fun.
No response to me has been without logical holes. And it doesn't just ruin my fun, it ruins the fun of everyone on both sides who wants to fight.

Me first response was both a little jab at your rumored style of flying
A rumor based on ignorance and my call-sign.  ;) When I first got interested in ACM, I thought a well-flown energy fight against a more maneuverable aircraft the highest expression of the art...and I still do. But eh, I fly however seems tactically appropriate or just plain fun. I estimate I fly "stupid" rather than "smart" more than the average stick in this game these days. Watch the film? That is the sort of thing I do for training when the DA lake is actually alive.

May "score" for what it is worth shows I up from a base out and fly TO the fights instead of upping UNDER them.
The  K/D part of score can indeed easily be gamed by timid flying. Kills-per-hour is a better measurement, although I admit is not entirely fair either. And are are you arguing for some sort of high-ground because you don't do desperate base defense?  :huh But all that is tangential. Sometimes I don't think we are flying in the same MA. I can find other players in fighter planes who are willing to kill me most of the time. They provide me with adequate challenge in the trying get kills department.  The only snag I run into with it frequently is hangars having been killed by some tool-shedder.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:57:14 PM by BnZs »

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
IT'S AN OUTRAGE!! bnz's wish is just self indulgent..and unreasonable.they are not going to make hangers industructable----get over it, and quit whineing....your argument is not valed or winable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:03:00 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
NT

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
I think we just need to get rid of the giant maps until player numbers go back up. I mean, honestly it's VERY rare to be able to find a fight larger than 2v2 during the daytime. Having a map such as NDisles, my personal favorite, instead of the 700 base Tagma would largely rectify this problem. As it stands now, mo bases = mo problems, and less fun for everyone.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
I think we just need to get rid of the giant maps until player numbers go back up. I mean, honestly it's VERY rare to be able to find a fight larger than 2v2 during the daytime. Having a map such as NDisles, my personal favorite, instead of the 700 base Tagma would largely rectify this problem. As it stands now, mo bases = mo problems, and less fun for everyone.

you may be right about the large maps...but when i log on almost everybody is conjugated into groups at certin bases..you don't see battles scattered all over the map.all countries are fighting at a 3 to 4 square radius---but as you know if they make the maps smaller--you will have people whineing that the maps are to small-can't win
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
You know they have a mechanism that forces a base capture order.  I think that system would draw down on the widespread non contact base sneaks.  I am not saying that would be good or bad.

But I do agree that it is exhausting to hear a constant call for alerts for about 6 bases while you are trying to gather maybe 4 or 5 good guys together to capture a base.  In my experience, gathering a good group together and rolling bases one after the other usually nets more fields gained than bases lost.

Just following the red dar bar and defending is the lazy way of playing and does nothing for country if someone else is not attacking enemy fields.  To each his own, but I have WAY more fun rolling bases than beating back the horde.  Don't get me wrong, quick action is great too.  CV attacks are the most fun to defend against with the right guys working along side you.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
We got the giant maps because of growth. Nothing wrong with contracting to get lean and mean. Might even give the few new 2-weekers something exciting to tell friends other than how boring the vast empty maps are. Scale in or out of concert with populations has centuries of study to the negative and positive effects of not balancing adequately to the real abilities versus unrealistic expectations of the population.

We could even say the circle has come full and now we are back to our roots. Those halcyon days when the arena was small then, filled with a proportionate number of fans who enjoyed air combat. This time around we picked up some new friends who like to fly bombers and drive tanks.

Now that the second most popular AH game has been shut down by the recent mega ban hammer. The current rounds of grousing and interpersonal dissatisfaction here in the forums has a bit more validity to the state of the game.

We know Hitech is in the process of changing the game. Granted we don't know how he will in totality as we've been given only crumbs with no real connect the dots value. Or silence when we try to connect anything that looks like dots.

Just like it was so easy to play the second most popular AH game here in the forums of going for each others throats over nothing and anything. We are allowing ourselves to turn our anxiety over not having a solid idea of what the game's future will look and play like. Along with our concern over the smaller numbers in the arena to turn us into using those things as the new source of the second most popular AH game.

Hitech is coding a new game. What is now will change. The 64 million dollar question is when.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »

Just following the red dar bar and defending is the lazy way of playing and does nothing for country if someone else is not attacking enemy fields.
Oh boy, now I've heard everyhing.  :rofl My country is called the United States. Chess piece patriotism, sheesh.

Lazy way to play? I don't know about you bub, but I play sitting my bellybutton in a chair with a strong drink in hand, and I expect you do as well. But at least actually fighting can get your heart rate up a bit.  :D

To each his own, but I have WAY more fun rolling bases than beating back the horde.  Don't get me wrong, quick action is great too.  CV attacks are the most fun to defend against with the right guys working along side you.
Trying to get guns on other fighters while they are constantly doing the same versus blowing up inanimate objects and driving troop transports...okay, I gotta say it surprises the dickens out of me that anybody could prefer the latter. And yeah, defending against CV attacks is great until some gink sinks the thing and takes away the buffet.