Author Topic: Attacking bombers with jets  (Read 733 times)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Attacking bombers with jets
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
What are some good approaches for attacking bombers with jets? Mainly 262 but would also like to know 163 ways as well.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Attacking bombers with jets
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
Basically the same you would chose in most conventional fighters as well.

As both planes are very fast and have enormous (short range) fire power, I mostly suggest slashing frontal quarter attacks, either high or low (the latter one can be more difficult to pull of). Let him fly into your burst. Stay out of the bomber#s gun range until the very moment of your attack.
When using the Me 163 at altitude, you have to watch your speed carefully. It's extremely easy to compress and lose thousands of feet while the bomber pilot laughs his butt off.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:56:37 PM »
 :bolt:
Basically the same you would chose in most conventional fighters as well.

As both planes are very fast and have enormous (short range) fire power, I mostly suggest slashing frontal quarter attacks, either high or low (the latter one can be more difficult to pull of). Let him fly into your burst. Stay out of the bomber#s gun range until the very moment of your attack.
When using the Me 163 at altitude, you have to watch your speed carefully. It's extremely easy to compress and lose thousands of feet while the bomber pilot laughs his butt off.

Thx for the reply. With the Ta152 I usually go head on from 6k infront but slightly to the side and above and fire around 1000-800 so I don't get too close to the bombers guns, but its alot harder for me to do in the 262. What range do you recommend shooting at for front quarter attacks?
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
I usually attack high or low along the 3-9 line, or just from directly above or below if i can. I'd make sure that when I'm coming from below I have plenty of speed so i don't slow down and the bomber pilot just guns me to death while I'm still climbing.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »
High 8 or 10-11 are my favorite spots, if I have a heavy gun package(30mm or quad 20mms)I'll line up my passes so my guns are only on target for the briefest moment. Although it can take awhile to bring down buffs I feel its extremely difficult for gunners to pull the necessary lead on a target that isn't actually flying towards it, at least not until I'm 200-100 yards away. Sometimes ill even follow this approach when I have a lightly armed fighter(50Cals) but rather than aiming for wing roots and tips ill aim for the cockpit to get a pilot kill.
See Rule #4

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:05 AM »
High 8 or 10-11 are my favorite spots, if I have a heavy gun package(30mm or quad 20mms)I'll line up my passes so my guns are only on target for the briefest moment. Although it can take awhile to bring down buffs I feel its extremely difficult for gunners to pull the necessary lead on a target that isn't actually flying towards it, at least not until I'm 200-100 yards away. Sometimes ill even follow this approach when I have a lightly armed fighter(50Cals) but rather than aiming for wing roots and tips ill aim for the cockpit to get a pilot kill.

Same position for me, I am good with accuracy, so 600-500 yards out is when I fire. Depending on the situation at hand of course.  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
Ive seen some guys pull off side/slide attacks with surprising success. :cry One guy, I wont name, a couple of times smoked all 3 B26s on me in one pass. I wasnt really expecting him to come sliding in from the side, but he was going very fast and made it work.

Now with jets I shoot a few spritzs from 1000 out even tho I know I have very little chance of doing any damage. First I want a good lead, 2nd I want him thinking about getting hit. Im crap with fighters but if there was one I wished I was really good with it would be the 262. Its a beast. A BEAST!
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"