Author Topic: Two Bf 109F-4's from Jg5 (by request)  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Two Bf 109F-4's from Jg5 (by request)
« on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
Horst Carganico, Stab. II/Jg5, Finland, 1942.

Hans Doberich, 6./Jg5, Finland, 1942.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Two Bf 109F-4's from Jg5 (by request)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
 :aok

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »
niiiiiiiiiiiiice   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Sweet! :aok

Really like the Doberich skin in particular.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:41 PM »
I wonder if there are skins that are like that, but with a solid yellow nose? :headscratch:   I am also curious about a white nose as well. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
I wonder if there are skins that are like that, but with a solid yellow nose? :headscratch:   I am also curious about a white nose as well. :headscratch:

If you're referring to the prop spinner, both yellow and white were common in the Luftwaffe. White specifically was widely used in the Mediterranean Theater, although not exclusively. Yellow was commonly seen in some squadrons, Jg's 51, 52, and 53. especially. As far as a "adapted tropical scheme" (which I define as being painted in a non-standardized pattern)  with these colors on the spinners, I can't say that I've seen any example with an entirely white or yellow spinner. Jg 3 used a similar scheme with the tip of the spinner matching the side number color.

As for cowling, it was much more rare to see yellow on any Tropical painted 109's. Although I have skinned examples from Jg 27 on both the 109E and 109F. But these both represent proper desert schemes used by aircraft based in North Africa.

The "adapted tropical schemes" seen here were adapted to suit the terrain of the Soviet Front, The 109's being delivered there in factory applied desert paint, and therefore not suitable. By this point, the all yellow cowling was dropped in all theaters. I'm certain that no 109 was ever painted in a "adapted tropical scheme"  with a yellow cowling.  
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »

I have a white nose JG52 skin in-game. I forget which A/C it is for though.
I have to edit it though, a lot of problems with the skin that I can now see after the submission.  :rolleyes:
Top Gun

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
If you're referring to the prop spinner, both yellow and white were common in the Luftwaffe. White specifically was widely used in the Mediterranean Theater, although not exclusively. Yellow was commonly seen in some squadrons, Jg's 51, 52, and 53. especially. As far as a "adapted tropical scheme" (which I define as being painted in a non-standardized pattern)  with these colors on the spinners, I can't say that I've seen any example with an entirely white or yellow spinner. Jg 3 used a similar scheme with the tip of the spinner matching the side number color.

Bf 109F-4 'Yellow 1' flown by Oberleutnant Hermann Graf, Staffelkapitan 9./JG 52, July 1942
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »
Jg 52 did seem to hold out longest with the use of yellow cowling, but this aircraft is a standard day fighter scheme, not an original desert scheme. Also, the tail band should be yellow and not white.

What I believe Volron was asking about was 109F's that were originally desert schemes with yellow cowling. Specifically built desert 109s (known as "tropical") were painted in with desert sand from the factory. They were delivered to squads looking like this:

Some squads not in desert areas received tropical built 109's, most notably Jg's 3 and 5. Each squad modified their planes with whatever paint was available in order to better suit the local terrain. I have not seen an example of any Jg 52 109 being a tropical build. Doesn't mean that it didn't happen, but Graf's plane that you posted is definitely not one.

I have a white nose JG52 skin in-game. I forget which A/C it is for though.

I've seen a few 109E's with white cowling, but the practice seemed to have been discontinued before the end of the Battle of Britain. Yellow had become the standard color for IFF purposes.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »
These are absolutely beautiful skins though.  Yeah, I was asking about 109's with desert schemes as well as tropical, with yellow cowling.  Dast put up a nice looking 109 profile though.

I may just decide to up the 109 more often than my A6M3. :aok
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
These are absolutely beautiful skins though.  Yeah, I was asking about 109's with desert schemes as well as tropical, with yellow cowling.  Dast put up a nice looking 109 profile though.

I may just decide to up the 109 more often than my A6M3. :aok

Thanks. And check out these skins in game for desert schemes with yellow cowls. 109E "Stab I/Jg 27 by Devil5O5" and 109F "Stab II/Jg 27 by Devil5O5"

And thanks to you other guys as well for the support.  :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:15:20 AM »
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"
I'll see you in Valhalla!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Thanks. And check out these skins in game for desert schemes with yellow cowls. 109E "Stab I/Jg 27 by Devil5O5" and 109F "Stab II/Jg 27 by Devil5O5"

And thanks to you other guys as well for the support.  :cheers:

Yeah.  It shows how often and how long ago since I've flown a 109.  I have nothing against them what-so-ever, it's just the A6M3 fits my style of fighting so well. :aok
HiTech