Author Topic: Torrent Software  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Torrent Software
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
Torrent is simply a file transmission technology.  Like a gun it is not evil....but in the hands of the unwary it can be dangerous.  

All one needs to do is be cautious.

1.) Use a well-known torrent client (Transmission is fine).

2.) Virus scan anything you download (perferably with more than one AV program....use the free versions of Malwarebytes AntiMalware or Spybot Search & Destroy in addition to your primary AV program).  Make sure when you perform the scan the AV client has been updated with the latest virus signatures.

3.) Only leave the client on when you are downloading and make sure you are monitoring the client while it's doing so.  Shut the client down when you are done with the download.  Yes, it's bad manners from a "torrent community" perspective, but it's a smart system security practice.

4.) Don't use TOR or other obfuscation software.  Lots of people look at me funny when I say this...but to be blunt, using this software is like shooting a flare up to anyone who might be monitoring the traffic i.e.  "You don't know what I'm doing or my final destination....but you DO know I'm trying to hide what I am doing and where I am going!".  Where there is smoke.....there is usually a fire, yes?

5.) Use common sense before you download anything. Music and movies are not (typically) free.  The fact someone has posted a torrent for the latest Summer hit doesn't mean its legal to download it....and you might be looking at a big fine and/or jail time if you do so.  There are legitimate things distributed via torrents....it's best to stick to downloading them (e.g. I use it to download Linux distro ISO images).

Are the above steps a bit paranoid?  Absolutely.  But if you assume anything you do on the Internet is untraceable and/or not monitored at one point you are being foolish.

Hope that helps...
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
I would also add:

1. Read the reviews from people. (Are others reporting any issues with the download?)

2. Usually, uploads are marked 'verified' by others in the community. 

3. Don't jump on a file, because it's brand new.  Wait until it has been verified.

4. Check the size of the file.  Say you're downloading a video/movie and the file-size is something like 258KB.  (way to small to be a video, so it's probably something not good.)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »
Excellent additional precautions..

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
It really is not baseless.

As with everything Internet you shouldn't download torrents unless you know a little about internet safety.

There are games which use a torrent mechanism to handle all their patches and updates.  If you are not careful, your computer becomes part of their distribution system.

That's kinda the point with distributed downloads. World of Tanks uses it for updates, as does Blizzard, but the distribution is only active while you're downloading an update. It is much more efficient than a typical FTP update scheme.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »
As with everything Internet you shouldn't download torrents unless you know a little about internet safety.

That's kinda the point with distributed downloads. World of Tanks uses it for updates, as does Blizzard, but the distribution is only active while you're downloading an update. It is much more efficient than a typical FTP update scheme.

I agree it is more efficient than FTP, but it can also be invasive, if you are not familiar with the options you are supplied with.

As far as safety goes, most people do not have a clue about that and it does not occur to them they should have a clue about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
I stopped using the internet many years ago for safety reasons  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
As far as safety goes, most people do not have a clue about that and it does not occur to them they should have a clue about it.

:furious Shhhh!   I bring in extra spending money cleaning viruses off their PCs!!!  :D

Before anyone starts calling my a damned capitalist...I don't charge much.  $25 to $50...sometimes $0 if it doesn't take a lot of my time...and I do a damned better job than those damned "Geek Squad" idiots for a lot less! 

I also try to teach people good safety practices....but sadly many keep doing the same dumb things....so I keep charging them! 

Works for me!  :aok

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Very INteresting.

Always a great bit that in todays PC world would never fly today

Sad thing is I bet there arent but a handful here who know who he is or what classic show it was from.

And none of them probably know any good chicken jokes
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:50 PM »
Always a great bit that in todays PC world would never fly today

Sad thing is I bet there arent but a handful here who know who he is or what classic show it was fnone of them probably know any good chicken jokes

Arte Johnson

Rowan & Martin's Laugh In

I barely remember my parents watching it...they let me stay in the room because I was too young to understand the more adult jokes.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 12:26:33 AM »

Amen to that.  :aok

If you download "questionable" stuff often, you would be wise to use a virtual machine or a sandbox. An ounce of prevention...
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »

4.) Don't use TOR or other obfuscation software.  Lots of people look at me funny when I say this...but to be blunt, using this software is like shooting a flare up to anyone who might be monitoring the traffic i.e.  "You don't know what I'm doing or my final destination....but you DO know I'm trying to hide what I am doing and where I am going!".  Where there is smoke.....there is usually a fire, yes?

I disagree. TOR is fine. But if you're really that concerned about drawing attention to yourself, simply use a MAC address changer and connect thru your neighbor's WiFi.   :D

j/k  That would be wrong. Funny, but wrong... Bad Cthulhu... Bad Bad Cthulhu.  :rofl
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
simply use a MAC address changer and connect thru your neighbor's WiFi.   :D

:rofl :rofl :devil

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »
4.) Don't use TOR or other obfuscation software. (...).  Where there is smoke.....there is usually a fire, yes?

No.
I don't live in a glass house either just because "I got nothing to hide"
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 06:28:03 AM »
The other downside to using TOR is the NSA has targeted people using it, and labeling them as "extremists".  Just saying.

The best way to get attention, from those you do not want attention from, is to make sure you do everything you can to piss them off.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »
Amen to that.  :aok

If you download "questionable" stuff often, you would be wise to use a virtual machine or a sandbox. An ounce of prevention...

Ahhh...another best practice I should have mentioned.  I use a Linux VM on my Proxmox server at home to torrent as well.

I disagree. TOR is fine. But if you're really that concerned about drawing attention to yourself, simply use a MAC address changer and connect thru your neighbor's WiFi.   :D

j/k  That would be wrong. Funny, but wrong... Evil Cthulhu... Evil Evil Cthulhu.  :rofl

Fixed!  But "evil" and "Cthulhu" (the name, not the person) should always go hand in hand. :D

The other downside to using TOR is the NSA has targeted people using it, and labeling them as "extremists".  Just saying.

The best way to get attention, from those you do not want attention from, is to make sure you do everything you can to piss them off.

Like I said....if you walk around thinking someone isn't watching you are being foolish.