Author Topic: Room for Everyone  (Read 1516 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Room for Everyone
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
Really? "... wanting to be "liked by the community" is a character flaw. "

Indeed. You see, you can gauge the intelligence of any group by finding the IQ of the smartest person in that group. Then divide that number by the number of individuals in the group. Thus you will thus derive a good estimate of the working brainpower of any board, club, committee, parliament, etc. :devil
The most famous democratic/communitarian decision in history was forcing Socrates drink poison. Budweiser vastly outsells good ale on the market. By this and many other examples, any person with eyes to see will grasp that the "wisdom"/will/pleasure of the crowd is a terrible guide to one's actions. The thinking of the collective intersects with what is right, sensible, and/or tasteful only rarely, and by accident.

What is 'not wanting to be liked by community'?? Look it up.
 JGroth
Didn't find anything. However, I submit the following for your perusal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink
Also try looking up sheeple, sycophant, toadie, zombie...
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Furballers are wasting your country's resources, just as the fools in 'tank town' do.

To be fair it's not the furballers or GVers fault. The war is designed very poorly, the biggest flaw is no matter how many times you bomb a base, no matter how many players you shoot down in a furball.....
The base never runs out of aircraft or tanks. You can have two sides furballing  for hours.... Side A is a bunch of hot sticks and side B not so much, and are dying by the boat loads. But because of the fact that AH has unlimited plane sets side B can never run out of aircraft. If aceshigh modeled some form of attrition warfare then furballers and GV campers would be preforming a useful function of eliminating aircraft and tanks for some period of time..... Even if it was unintentional.

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

You are not a human.  You are a gastropod.

And what exactly is that stick figure complaining about?  Hasn't every male at one time dreamed of being stranded on a remote island with a lovely flock of sheep?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
You are not a human.  You are a gastropod.

It's not about me.  :P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Cute, but if one pays $15 of one's own money to play a game and then feels the need to play a certain way purely to please perfect strangers, that is very automaton-esque indeed.  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »
Cute, but if one pays $15 of one's own money to play a game and then feels the need to play a certain way purely to please perfect strangers, that is very automaton-esque indeed.  :D

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure.  Like The Shadow, it can cloud the minds of men.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
The war is designed very poorly, the biggest flaw is no matter how many times you bomb a base, no matter how many players you shoot down in a furball.....
The base never runs out of aircraft or tanks. You can have two sides furballing  for hours.... Side A is a bunch of hot sticks and side B not so much, and are dying by the boat loads. But because of the fact that AH has unlimited plane sets side B can never run out of aircraft.

No, that is why the war is designed AWESOMELY. Being able to fight, die, rise again and fight some more, ad infinitum? That is at least one culture's vision of heaven (Valhalla), the only difference is that AH players have to provide their own ale and delicious pork products, BYOA&P as it were. But hey, that's still a pretty good deal, considering we only pay $15 and don't have to die in battle first.  :D

If there was some kind of attrition built in, you'd see noobs criticized for trying to fly fighter at all and the player base at large would be discouraged from flying with any balls whatsoever. No thank you.

What makes air/ground superiority mostly irrelevant in the MA is the hangar dropping dynamic combined with the variety of difficulties in reliably intercepting jabos and especially heavy buffs on their way to drop hangars. It is far easier to take a base via hangar dropping than it is to take that base by beating all defenders down to the ground and keeping them there long enough for the troop transport to carry them in. Not nearly as much fun, but easier.

Whichever side first has a player who decides to end the fight via dropping hangars, and who possesses the small amount of competence requisite lack of a boredom gene for that mission, that side tends to win the fight. Thus, furballing/fighter-on-fighter violence IS mostly irrelevant to winntehwarzing. However this is not a problem, because feeling the need to be "useful" to an arbitrary chess piece side in a video game where no one ever really wins or loses anything tangible, that is a bit mental wouldn't ya say? :devil I am entirely content with being completely useless to the pixelated territorial ambitions of armchair generals.

This leaves only one problem with the game, namely the fact that this statement
You can have two sides furballing  for hours...
Is hardly ever true anymore, and this lack of action is the main reason behind the player numbers death-spiral.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:13:58 PM by BnZs »