Author Topic: a family P51 skin request  (Read 9912 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: a family P51 skin request
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
Can't seem to leave this skin alone.   I am only updating the progress for the OP.  Don't judge it just yet.  (No true spec or bump maps in these shots so apologies for that.)   I have learned a thing or two since I put JO-BABY out there.   Working on MOLLY as a follow-up to JB taught me a lot.   JO-BABY was/is my pride and joy but this skin will wind up being way better than her or MOLLY.   What I learned doing those I will apply now, then I will make MOLLY and JO-BABY better with what I have learned HERE.   Pretty crazy how it works.

Any way...

Will clean up the name on the canopy later.  Just trying to get the size right.

The upper wing skin looks choppy in parts.  I will fix that.  Ignore it. (I am trying to make the flaps appear different from the wing itself.  I haven't blended everything as yet.  It will look okay when I am done.)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:02:04 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
The progress looks great vraciu :aok  I recieved a picture of his full plane whoo hoo :D The large letter on the tail is a "C" and the number is "463490".  I'll try to post the picture on Monday
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
The progress looks great vraciu :aok  I recieved a picture of his full plane whoo hoo :D The large letter on the tail is a "C" and the number is "463490".  I'll try to post the picture on Monday

Great news.   I look forward to seeing it.   Figured the number would be 43 or 44 to start.  Italian Theater Groups did strange stuff though, markings-wise.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:36:11 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
as promised:
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
Terrific.   Very helpful.

Now we need to determine what colors the letters are...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:42:13 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
Probably either black or dark blue, comparing to the other markings.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
I think they are black, but it is anybodies guess as to what color the cut in parts of the stencils are. They seem to be a lighter color than the yellow of the tail.

Also, I don't want to seem ungrateful here but it appears to me that your placement of the "wee willie" on the nose is too far aft. "wee" seems centered under the exhaust stack and the first half of "willie" is also under the exhaust as well.  If it is too much trouble to move it then no worries. Thanks again Vraciu. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:05:48 PM by tmetal »

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
I think they are black, but it is anybodies guess as to what color the cut in parts of the stencils are. They seem to be a lighter color than the yellow of the tail.

Also, I don't want to seem ungrateful here but it appears to me that your placement of the "wee willie" on the nose is too far aft. "wee" seems centered under the exhaust stack and the first half of "willie" is also under the exhaust as well.  If it is too much trouble to move it then no worries. Thanks again Vraciu. :cheers:

Agreed that the nose art is too far back. It also looks like it should be black while the insignia and it's lettering should be insignia blue semi gloss.

As for the spacing between the numbers on the tail, I don't think they are painted. It is a different color but I think it might be bare metal instead of the yellow that would have been there. If it's not, it's possibly a shade of white.

As for the glare shield, it looks too black. I would try changing it to a more olive color. It looks to be a lighter shade so try RGB: 95/94/78. I would also put a black mark around the prop spindle near the back to simulate a gap there. This will keep the spindle from looking like it's fused with the rest of the aircraft.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »

It is not in the right place.  Just a temp placeholder while I get the scripting down.   I will move it around to where it is supposed to be once I get the color and the font correct.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
Agreed that the nose art is too far back. It also looks like it should be black while the insignia and it's lettering should be insignia blue semi gloss.

As for the spacing between the numbers on the tail, I don't think they are painted. It is a different color but I think it might be bare metal instead of the yellow that would have been there. If it's not, it's possibly a shade of white.

As for the glare shield, it looks too black. I would try changing it to a more olive color. It looks to be a lighter shade so try RGB: 95/94/78. I would also put a black mark around the prop spindle near the back to simulate a gap there. This will keep the spindle from looking like it's fused with the rest of the aircraft.

To me the WEE WILLIE looks like it is the same color as the spinner.   What say you?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »
Probably either black or dark blue, comparing to the other markings.

Insignia Blue was suggested.   You agree?

What squadron was this?   This group had black and red tail codes that I know of for sure.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »
Insignia Blue was suggested.   You agree?

What squadron was this?   This group had black and red tail codes that I know of for sure.   

Could be, it's hard to tell. The black and insignia blue markings look very similar here.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
To me the WEE WILLIE looks like it is the same color as the spinner.   What say you?

The problem is that the none of the colors appear to match in the photo. If we look at the tail, we know that it's supposed to be a yellow, but it's a dark color so it's probably a flat yellow instead of gloss. This makes it look in the photo like it's actually a shade of orange or possibly a light shade of red. This makes it hard to tell but I'm certain that the nose is red. I'm going to say that the "WEE WILLY" is a shade of black simply because that was the most common color used when just painting letters on the nose. Even when there is more complex art the letters are usually black. It's too hard to tell if it's a gloss or flat black so I'll leave that decision to you.

Edit: I made this quick reference with the colors that I usually use. The OD colors on the right were flat so they would appear much darker than what is actually shown.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:50:47 PM by Dragon Tamer »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Well, what about a black QP and a blue or red C ?

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
The C looks red to me, especially when compared to the tail letters of the planes behind it. :headscratch:

-Skuzzy 5/18/17