Author Topic: Horrible Shot  (Read 6168 times)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: Horrible Shot
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »
How do you get to the place that let's you turn off scaling and adjust your dampening? :salute
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
I just checked fighter hit% for the last full tour (173). As far as I can tell, of people posting on this thread Latrobe has the highest at 13.07, followed by Skyyr at 7.22 and Mir at 6.78.

Highest I found just poking around stats further was TonyJoey at 20.08. I submit he may be THE guy to ask about shooting issues.

When I take shots at 400yds and less, my accuracy is usually between 10-12%. The last 2-3 tours, I've been taking and making shots regularly at 600-800yds. That really jacks with the accuracy stats, though, as I have divergence any time I shoot past 500yds (i.e. there's no way to be 100% accurate, even if the aiming is 100% on at those ranges). This is why I feel accuracy is a poor stat to judge by, but I digress.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
How do you get to the place that let's you turn off scaling and adjust your dampening? :salute

Clipboard/options/controller setup/advanced

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
Understood. But 7-8% is still fairly elite, especially if is not being deliberately "gamed", which would entail NOT taking low percentage shots, buff hunting, preferring certain gun packages over others, etc.

Many factors involved in hit%. For instance, if one flies a P-47 with the heavy ammo load, it is perfectly rational to squeeze the trigger nearly any time one has any chance at all of connecting. That is the advantage of carrying so many guns and so much ammo, the penalty being the weight of all that. By contrast, if one is flying the 109K4, logic dictates that one do practically the opposite, get close and squeeze the trigger only when one almost cannot miss. Using the two different gun packages logically has very different results on the hit% score. This is why I think hit% shouldn't really be a scored category, but that is another topic.

When I take shots at 400yds and less, my accuracy is usually between 10-12%. The last 2-3 tours, I've been taking and making shots regularly at 600-800yds. That really jacks with the accuracy stats, though, as I have divergence any time I shoot past 500yds (i.e. there's no way to be 100% accurate, even if the aiming is 100% on at those ranges). This is why I feel accuracy is a poor stat to judge by, but I digress.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
I fly the 190A5 primarily. Both this bird and the Dora get bouncy when I'm in a fight with the Forward tank full. I always change tanks and burn the Forward down to 50%, then shift to the drop tank. In the Butcher Bird this creates a much more stable firing platform. Can't say for other planes, but it works here.

Also, turn your tracers off. Most sticks end up watching their tracers and aim by  spraying a fire hose. That isn't aiming, that is guessing after the fact. You end up trying to 'walk' your fire hose into the target. By turning tracers off you have to give a great deal of thought to lead, aim points, etc. At first your aim will drop dramatically, though you will suddenly figure it out and get much, much better.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
ty sir :salute
"scott66"        

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
I fly the 190A5 primarily. Both this bird and the Dora get bouncy when I'm in a fight with the Forward tank full. I always change tanks and burn the Forward down to 50%, then shift to the drop tank. In the Butcher Bird this creates a much more stable firing platform.
This does not particularly make sense, as an aft center of gravity is what one would expect to lead to more pitch sensitivity.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »
This does not particularly make sense, as an aft center of gravity is what one would expect to lead to more pitch sensitivity.

As the fuel tanks empty the center of lift will move along with the CG and maintain pitch stability.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
I agree with BnZs, as hit percentage can vary so much depending on the ride and the targets.

The biggest improvement that I made is to have my guns at 200 yds, so that I aim above the target for anything further out.  Aiming below the target to hit it is not second nature to me. 

It works especially well for nose mounted guns, but I keep convergence in every plane set to 200 yards, so even when I'm trying to pick off a distant plane with wing mounted guns, I'll aim above and to the left or right so that the bullet stream hits.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »
I suppose I could go back to flying a poni or take up the D9 and run around picking and HOing and running away from everyone through furballs if that's all you need BnZ. Yes it would increase my hit% dramatically.

I just is not interested in measuring my cartoon game manhood that way like some are fixated on. Neither does that negate Hitech's physics or that he programed his physics for gunnery so that the 100mph principle works in the game as it did in WW2. Internet willing.

Ever wondered how Messiah lands so many kills regularly? He was one of my testers for 8 generations of ACM gunsights while I was developing them. He's used them so long that now, I think he doesn't even use a gunsight from the last time we talked about it. I think semp still uses a Gen1 or Gen3 but, he never takes his scoring off attack for his poni and pretty much only flys that these days.

I'm sorry BnZ that you don't like the messenger. Elitism won't trump the physics no matter how long you hold your fingers in your ears.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
tried..it wouldn't let me adjust anything..said no axis selected..nothing highlighted so I couldn't click on it..I'll tryAgain later after I can take a pic so you know what I mean
"scott66"        

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
you have to click on the axis you want to adjust. Select the controller in the drop down box top right. In the window you'll have the axises x y and z for your stick. click on one and then click the "advance" button. This will swing out another page with the sliders and the blue boxes that show stick input as compared to game input.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
you have to click on the axis you want to adjust. Select the controller in the drop down box top right. In the window you'll have the axises x y and z for your stick. click on one and then click the "advance" button. This will swing out another page with the sliders and the blue boxes that show stick input as compared to game input.
thanks fugitive I'll try that tonight
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:40:55 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
I suppose I could go back to flying a poni or take up the D9 and run around picking and HOing and running away from everyone through furballs if that's all you need BnZ. Yes it would increase my hit% dramatically.
Turning fights tend to increase my hit% (planform tracking shots) over the sort of snapshots you get slashing through at high speed, not decrease it. And are you suggesting the gentlemen whose hit% I looked up (including Latrobe and TonyJoey) ONLY pick and HO, and that explains their high hit%?

You seem to be the only one personally offended by this comparison of hit%...My hypothesis is simply that the gentlemen who hit their target the most in this game are likely the ones to ask for advice about hitting targets.

I'm sorry BnZ that you don't like the messenger. Elitism won't trump the physics no matter how long you hold your fingers in your ears.
I agree completely that Hitech has modeled the physics correctly, which makes ballistics a useful study. However, there is simply no time in combat for such calculations. It must be learned by instinct. In giving us the lead computing gunsight in the TA, Hitech has also probably rendered the formal study of ballistics less necessary for this game, since one can simply go into the TA with a friend and see the necessary lead in real time under real flying conditions.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
BnZ you win this ecclesiastical whizzing match. You asked everyone to ignore participants input based on Hit% after looking up their stats I will venture. The 100mph principle does not change regardless. But, this is a personality contest setup by yourself to engender your exclusive views and eliminate others you don't approve of. And yes I fly with Morfiend a lot in the TA.

You are still attempting to shoot the messenger. So if you need to be the big cheese on ACM and support topics in the forum. All Hail the Big Cheeze, may he melt well in the brilliance of his own imagination! Oh lord we is not worthy to bask in his brilliance!

There, feel better now that your are adulated for your obvious what ever it is that's supposed to be obvious......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.