Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 429 times)

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
Jazz
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
 I love all kinds of music. At the shop I rather run as only mech fixing all the stuff 'they' break I installed my own large speakers that i run music thru..granted I run some just to get people to leave, but that's another post. My 'boss' calls classic 'wedding music' and leaves ASAP...
 But I like radio drama and JAZZ..
 I'd like some of ya knut bags to post your fav jazz..here's some of mine by 'buddy' in france
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXP3FNGUfNQ
                                                                                   Peace
                                                                                              JGroth

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Jazz
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Dimenuendo and Crescendo in Blue

Greatest sax solo of all time. Conveniently, also one of THE greatest jazz performances ever.

The Duke Ellington orchestra's performance of Dimenuendo and Crescendo in Blue from the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival. The audience (mostly stolid East Coast sophisticates) got so fired up they nearly RIOTED. Especially after a platinum blonde jumped up and started dancing (and nearly got even WORSE when the showrunners tried to pull the band off the stage two songs later, much to the audience's displeasure).

Funky Blues

I've always loved this recording. An unprecedented collection of saxophonists: Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Benny Carter, Ben Webster and Flip Phillips. Hodges and Parker both playing on one track alone makes the whole 13-minute run time worthwhile (and the other soloists are great, too!).

April in Paris

Bird at it again, from one of the best jazz albums ever recorded: Charlie Parker with Strings. Parker is at his best, and the album in general highlights his pure musical and improvisational genius.

Prelude to a Kiss

Back to Hodges. I don't think there's ever been a saxophonist who could milk a ballad for all its worth like Rab. So, SO many to choose from (Star-Crossed Lovers, I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) being among my favorites). But I especially love the lick on this one at about 3:20-3:27 as the crescendo builds.

Caravan

Really not much needs to be said about anything Maynard Ferguson ever recorded.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
 Great Stuff!

JGroth

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
Tom Scott has done some nice work on the sax.  Blow it out one of my fav albums.

Don't forget Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins (The Golden Hawk).  Both fine Sax players.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
 Was able to hear Duke Ellington at Disneyland in early 60's ...will always be great.
                 JGroth

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »
I don't really like Jazz Music but conversely find Miles Davis conducive to ACM. Random.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
Dave Brubeck  :aok

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
Besides the Old standards its Bebop for me like Cannonball Adderley Quintet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9kMSZ28vE. Clifford Brown, Jimmy Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1z2BdvHVCk, Eddie Harris, Horace Silver, Lee Morgen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJi03NqXfk8.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Neither a rap fan nor a jazz fan, but when mixed together, I like it:  "Don't Sweat the Technique" by Eric B and Rakim.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »
This one's awesome just for the giggles it causes when the main theme starts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWPaIRsd3w
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.