Author Topic: Oculus Rift Dk2  (Read 7222 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift Dk2
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
You'll still need the simpit. Where do you think you'll bump your head otherwise looking around? And you need to have your beverages held nice and tightly in a cupholder when you reach for it blind.

one word: camelbak.

As for keyboard, yes you get keyboards that mark the F and H keys - my previous logitech did and it was easy as for typing in chat. My current keyboard doesn't and it is annoying. That said it's forced me to use vox more which is a good thing.

I use and X52 Pro and there is not really much need to touch the keyboard. Remember all the hat views are released for control mapping!

Games like FSX and DCS have clickable cockpits as well. I think a mixture of HOTAS mappings + clickable cockpits is the way to go for VR.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
Did you turn off head tracking in the VorpX driver?

I found the best way to use IPD is to adjust it while focusing on the center of the screen - move it in and out until your eyes feel relaxed/comfortable.

Turning off tracking in Vorpx did it. Thanks

In opentrack I am using the freetrack 2.0 game protocol and have enable both set in the settings page. I also have None for the aux tracker?

I have the mapping scaled to reach 180 at about 110 deg but I still wind up looking at headrest. Tried leaning closer to canopy to look around it but when I lean to the left it moves to the right. I guess this makes sense because my head is more than 90 deg from camera so all x movement would be reversed? Do you have problem or if not what am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
Turning off tracking in Vorpx did it. Thanks

In opentrack I am using the freetrack 2.0 game protocol and have enable both set in the settings page. I also have None for the aux tracker?

I have the mapping scaled to reach 180 at about 110 deg but I still wind up looking at headrest. Tried leaning closer to canopy to look around it but when I lean to the left it moves to the right. I guess this makes sense because my head is more than 90 deg from camera so all x movement would be reversed? Do you have problem or if not what am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your help.

Yeah theres a trackir relative setting in AH somewhere -  but I'm away from home so cannot tell you exactly were it is sorry. Also if you have saved head position reset them all to default.

I think I use trackir only, aux should be empty.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:59:08 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
As for keyboard, yes you get keyboards that mark the F and H keys - my previous logitech did and it was easy as for typing in chat. My current keyboard doesn't and it is annoying.
Now that's news to me! I've never seen one without those marks so far, on the other hand I've never actually used any of those fancy gaming keyboards, or one without printed letters on the keys. BTW how about putting a small velcro sticker on those two, might be as helpful as braille. A drop of crazy glue might also work, but you'd better let it dry thoroughly before typing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Now that's news to me! I've never seen one without those marks so far, on the other hand I've never actually used any of those fancy gaming keyboards, or one without printed letters on the keys. BTW how about putting a small velcro sticker on those two, might be as helpful as braille. A drop of crazy glue might also work, but you'd better let it dry thoroughly before typing.

My ancient 15 dollar Microsoft keyboard even has the marks. They're small bumps on the keys, hard to see without looking close or touching the 'bumps' with your index fingers. I think more keyboards have the bumps than not actually.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »
My ancient 15 dollar Microsoft keyboard even has the marks. They're small bumps on the keys, hard to see without looking close or touching the 'bumps' with your index fingers. I think more keyboards have the bumps than not actually.
Wasn't I saying just that? Never seen one without.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »
Wasn't I saying just that? Never seen one without.

Ah lol sorry it was the other poster who didn't have them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »
Real men fly Radial!

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »
Yeah theres a trackir relative setting in AH somewhere -  but I'm away from home so cannot tell you exactly were it is sorry. Also if you have saved head position reset them all to default.

I think I use trackir only, aux should be empty.

The relative setting is working. I deleted the hps file to reset head position to default. Why did you suggest this as the default position is far back against (or partially in) the headrest. Would be easier to see behind if position more forward. Does setting a new position somehow cause problems with Vorpx or opentrack?

Also in there a way to share the mapping settings? I would love to see how you have them setup and I sure don't mind sending mine. If they are on the profile file, I guess could share this file?

The middle mouse button no longer lets me look around the screen? I think started when I turned of Vorpx tracking?

Thanks again for your help. I am almost there!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
Vulcan - you got this on your radar?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2091603040/totem-the-premium-full-featured-virtual-reality-he

No, they are piggybacking on Oculus's idea, and they've been talking themselves up for a few years with no product delivered. Now they're doing a kickstarter. Smells a bit off to me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
The relative setting is working. I deleted the hps file to reset head position to default. Why did you suggest this as the default position is far back against (or partially in) the headrest. Would be easier to see behind if position more forward. Does setting a new position somehow cause problems with Vorpx or opentrack?

Also in there a way to share the mapping settings? I would love to see how you have them setup and I sure don't mind sending mine. If they are on the profile file, I guess could share this file?

The middle mouse button no longer lets me look around the screen? I think started when I turned of Vorpx tracking?

Thanks again for your help. I am almost there!

If you don't use default with 6DoF AH starts doing wierd movements between positions. Just lean forward or center leaning back. No idea about the middle mouse button sorry (I literally had 1 day of fiddling before I had to leave for work stuff for a week).

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
If you don't use default with 6DoF AH starts doing wierd movements between positions. Just lean forward or center leaning back. No idea about the middle mouse button sorry (I literally had 1 day of fiddling before I had to leave for work stuff for a week).

Hope you have time to use it this week. It is great! I tried a fov in AH of 100 to match the rifts fov. I like it because it is more like real world. The gages look as I would expect in the real thing. Give it a try.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
The next generation (crescent bay) is in the works. More goodness otw.. all good things come to he who waits. http://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-connect-2014/

Crescent Bay is the latest prototype headset on the path to the consumer version of the Rift. Crescent Bay features new display technology, 360° head tracking, expanded positional tracking volume, dramatically improved weight and ergonomics, and high-quality integrated audio.

These enhancements allow for a level of presence that’s impossible to achieve with DK2.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Hope you have time to use it this week. It is great! I tried a fov in AH of 100 to match the rifts fov. I like it because it is more like real world. The gages look as I would expect in the real thing. Give it a try.

Sorry forgot to mention that bit, I think I have mine set wider, but use my stick scroll wheel to change it as needed.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
The next generation (crescent bay) is in the works. More goodness otw.. all good things come to he who waits. http://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-connect-2014/

Yet... I see nothing that solves the inability to see around you in meatspace by those pics.  Tango Foxtrot?  Unless they're figuring it's just as simple as having a cutout at the bottom and they'll just slap that into the final release.

I can live with it either way, but that's my single concern about the product.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11