Author Topic: WWI Wednesday's  (Read 1693 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: WWI Wednesday's
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »
Come now Stampf, what's a little "Precession" amongst friends.........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
Come now Stampf, what's a little "Precession" amongst friends.........

...hardcore dogfights...jaw dropping acm...terrific crashes...?

I give up.   :D

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
Ahhhhhhh....thhhuubbbbbpphhhh ....ack.....

You just like that strange 180 degree horizontal pivot off the rudder the Dr1 does when you let the precession take over from a stall. I miss more Dr1 when I saddle up on that weirdness. I thinks to myself, dork, ya just hang there while I snuggle up. Then the moment I pull the trigger, the danged precession pulls the Dr1 out of line. But, you need air under the Dr1 for this to work. Other wise, when the WW1 arena was the national grass cutting finals, all you saw was Dr1's slipping sideways into the dirt off of short popups.

Now that players are fighting with alt, I think they are discovering the real quirky strengths of these rides. You have to keep a strong sense of what maneuvering is possible between the grass and 500 feet opposed to higher up. After all, ww1 kites don't have flaps and WEP to save them from the ground. Just your stick and rudder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
Whiskah-Twee Will be present this Wednesday!

I'm a D7 dweeb!
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
Tonight is the night gents, 8pm untill Midnight EST!

You know I will be there, bring your "A" game and leave the cares of the modern world behind.  Please drink plenty of alcoholic beverages before and during this event  :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »
JG11 will be there once again. Were looking forward to it.
 :salute
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
Found you guys by accident last night...will make a point of being there when possible.

One

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Last night was my first several sortie session in the WW1 arena.  I even bagged my first kill but I didn't land it. I'll try to get more weds in.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
onerka,   You must have gotten a disco last night because you started flying level to our base.  I caught up to you and fired at 200 off your 6 with no apparent hits.  Then my own base ack takes me out and you fly away unscathed.   :rofl   I reupped and a couple of others were shooting at you, then you blew up because you didn't make it back to your plane in 5 minutes and it recorded a kill for me after you blew up.  Still kinda crazy that my own base ack killed me.  Guess I should mention that in bug forum.  Was fun for the time I could fly last night.  I look forward to future Wednesdays.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Once you get off the deck and duel at 1-3k alt. Even the Dr1 has to ACM in the vertical. Especially against another Dr1. No longer is the WW1 arena the one dimensional Olympics of grass trimming dominated by the horizontal turn radius of the Dr1. Unless you just like grass trimming and upping a new ride a lot. Because of Stampf's Wed night WW1 night running for awhile with regulars. Down in the grass is no longer the place to be unless you like the inside of the command tent. The biggest group strategy seems to be who can get the other group to fly in the bushes first.

Fighting with some air below you allows these WW1 kites to recover from bad mistakes and stalls. Eventually they will almost recover on their own without your input. When this arena was first introduced, everyone trimmed grass and hated the planes because of the constant auguring while falling sideways. Another few hundred feet and those guys would have recovered from their side stalls.

The fights are dominated by the D7 and Dr1. Some what like a fight between a spit5 and a Ki-43, both with flaps locked extended. And like crabby yells at everyone when he's in there. Don't get into a pure horizontal turning fight. Vertical is your friend.

For anyone really new to WW1 flying in AH. It will take a few Wed nights to get the hang of the planes. And the gunnery. Unless you already excel in gunnery flying the Ki-43.

Ok Stampf you got your shameless plug for your WW1 Wed night. Get in here and say "something".....   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
I am finally back and settled in, in TX.  Plan to be back in the air Wednesday nights! 

Literally 6 miles from HiTech...  LOL

:rock
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »

Ok Stampf you got your shameless plug for your WW1 Wed night. Get in here and say "something".....   

:lol

Back from vacation.  Hope I missed a great time on Wed.  Should be back at it this week.

:airplane:

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
It's turning into a meat grinder as everyone of the regulars is becoming comfortable flying the kites at alt. Now the fights are three dimensional and white knuckle up to your elbows. Only a few really want to be on the deck anymore, and they don't last very long unless they are the designated drag for the bag.

You may need to start a tips post on throttle and energy management, then ACM in these kites. Also getting off combat trim. It's seriously in the way of some maneuvering. Your rudder is your life. Also, instead of using throttle with the Camel during maneuvers. Kill the engine at each point you would reduce throttle. Test it out. The Camel acts differently. Also I believe some of the engines in Camels, it was easier to blip the engine than use the throttle.

The best fights I run into now are Dr1 vs Dr1 all in the vertical. Going horizontal gets you shot unless your timing is perfect. Once you start turning, the end is very near in all of the rides with the increasing skill levels. And even 200ft of alt difference can often mean the difference in having to fight against BnZ or pick someone to pieces depending if you are on top or bottom. I've noticed you use those 200ft masterfully in your triplane.......Much higher and the alt becomes a coffin maker for some as they try to dive like flying in the MA. Diving and throttles don't mix.

So who put the self destruct in my Dr1 engine every time I get up a good head of steam? 

If we had two more rides to play with, this would get really hot with the increasing skill over the last few weeks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
You missed me and Vilkas in the F2b of DOOM. Vilkas landed 2 kills as my Gunner. :devil
Sadly with new school schedule I will not be able to make Wednesday nights anymore.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
bumb! this is fun yall....itw wednesday!!  :airplane:
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!