Author Topic: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28  (Read 15442 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 10:36:45 AM »
Ah, you're against a competition where the ground is truly neutral and the only requirement is to fight and die by your own merits.

Fighting and dying by your own merits wouldn't include 2v2 matches, IMO.  I mean, unless your wingman just augers every flight and you beat both guys by yourself.  

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »
Fighting and dying by your own merits wouldn't include 2v2 matches, IMO.  I mean, unless your wingman just augers every flight and you beat both guys by yourself.  

There are merits to every type of fight, which come down to tactics. In 1v1, it's one pilot's tactics vs another's. In 2v2, it's both individual and team tactics vs the same, but it's still the merits of one set of tactics vs. another.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »
Ah, we apologize for posting our 5v5 match last week then. It was spur of the moment, but we always aim for transparency, which is why we posted it.

That said, our 2v2 was discussed (on these very forums) for quite some time (close to two weeks, if I remember correctly), so it definitely wasn't spur of the moment. It was simply a matter of finding a night that we would all be on together to fight our previously agreed-upon match.

-=S=-

No need to apologize, but if you're wondering why people are giving you that WTF face, that might be why.

Spur of the moment, for me, means not knowing I'm about to do something until 5 minutes before I do it.  That was pretty much the turnaround between "Wanna DA?" from you guys and us being in there.  I'm not really sure why you're taking issue with the semantics of it though.  It doesn't really matter. 

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
There are merits to every type of fight, which come down to tactics. In 1v1, it's one pilot's tactics vs another's. In 2v2, it's both individual and team tactics vs the same, but it's still the merits of one set of tactics vs. another.

lol... ok.  It just looked odd to me that you were talking about "own merits" and really meant your team.  I mean, you gotta give credit to the guy clearing your 6, right?
      -AoM-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
lol... ok.  It just looked odd to me that you were talking about "own merits" and really meant your team.  I mean, you gotta give credit to the guy clearing your 6, right?

Are you claiming he doesn't?  Might want to ask Kruel about that item before throwing it out....
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
lol... ok.  It just looked odd to me that you were talking about "own merits" and really meant your team.  I mean, you gotta give credit to the guy clearing your 6, right?

This was a squadron/wingman competition, was it not? We all knew that going into it; in fact, I can pull previous forum posts where all four of us acknowledged it would be a 2v2 competition. With that, I'm not sure where you think that my I failed to give my wingman credit. The fact we won gives my wingman not only credit, but justifies his prediction of the fight that he made weeks ago.

You gave credit to your wingman for attempting to clear your six, right? ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:09:55 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
This was a squadron/wingman competition, was it not? We all knew that going into it; in fact, I can pull previous forum posts where all four of us acknowledged it would be a 2v2 competition. With that, I'm not sure where you think that my I failed to give my wingman credit. The fact we won gives my wingman not only credit, but justifies his assessment of the fight that he made weeks ago. By extension, it also implies that your wingman failed.

I think you need to reread my last post.  Fighting and dying on your own merits implies you are going it alone, with nobody there to offer you assistance.  Except you say your implication was that the combined set of merits of Team Kruel/Skyyr is what you meant.  Cool and the gang bro.  I'll know exactly what you mean next time.   :)
      -AoM-

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
I think you need to reread my last post.  Fighting and dying on your own merits implies you are going it alone, with nobody there to offer you assistance.  Except you say your implication was that the combined set of merits of Team Kruel/Skyyr is what you meant.  Cool and the gang bro.  I'll know exactly what you mean next time.   :)

Ah, then please forgive me for using the subject of you in the plural, where "you" is understood to be referring to the subject or group relevant to the topic. I forget that not everyone remembers high school English mechanics. I will clarify next time.

-=S=-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:33:12 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXd6u9o6dYY

Lol, I dare you guys to sit through this entire video ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »
Ah, then please forgive me for using the subject of plural understood you, where "you" is understood to be referring to the subject or group relevant to the topic. I forget that not everyone remembers high school English mechanics. I will clarify next time.

-=S=-

lol... please do.
      -AoM-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXd6u9o6dYY

Lol, I dare you guys to sit through this entire video ;)

That was distrubing. 

How dare you attempt to interrupt the purse fight!  Away with you!

:D
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
Now I am become Death, Destroyer of Threads
See Rule #4

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
Personally I don't think these are the "activities" that should be encouraged.  All we need is MORE egotistical,  chest thumpers in this game. I'd rather see squads that work together to make the game more fun for everyone around them, not just another "king of the hill" group.

I disagree.  What is happening is no different that what has happened in the past...remember the famous AH vs. WB duel?  Or maybe one of the multitudes of Blue Knights vs. AoM duels or any other squad vs. squad duel?  There is nothing wrong with having little side activities like this, the only time it becomes a problem is if one or both sides start to exhibit some rather poor sportsmanship.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
This has become stupid.  There are no reasons, excuses or explanations necessary.  We fought a 2 v 2 last night.  The format was agreed to.  I don't really give a damn if anyone else would have agreed to it or not.  The rules are the rules and they were abided by.  It was fun...real fun.  It was the first of many 2 v 2.  It's a different format with different tactics.

Go try it so you can give an opinion that actually has some experience behind it. 

Looking forward to the next one
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
Not sure if it's questionable now when it wasn't in the 5v5 post..care to elaborate?

Usually in a duel, whether it be 1v1 or squadron vs. squadron, things are set to make the fight as even as possible.  This means that both sides agree to a plane set, merge altitude, fuel and ammo loads.  This helps cut down on "you took less ammo!" or "I took too much fuel!" whines after the duel and helps ensure the duel is on the same level for both sides as much as possible.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song