Author Topic: 2dof sim  (Read 1135 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 2dof sim
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »
I wonder... It would be nice to try one out. Some dude named Noon had a full 180 degree roll machine, but it looks like that dried up about a decade ago. It also was a good deal more expensive and relied on a mount that could react the fairly considerable force generated (2500 pounds, up to, iirc). This one looks good, is more affordable, and doesn't require input power. There are also powered platforms, looks like, with similar levels of displacement.

Rolling cages are not only difficult to build but potentially hazardous for your health. Hydraulics / electric motors moving steel bars and body parts combined = recipe for disaster.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
Yes!!! Isn't it excellent?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
Rolling cages are not only difficult to build but potentially hazardous for your health. Hydraulics / electric motors moving steel bars and body parts combined = recipe for disaster.

Safe stuff is boring.

With that said, I kind of agree with Ripley.  A split-S is the best example I can give.  So you roll inverted, you get lateral G.  You're then hanging upside down from your harness.  Now as you pull up, in the plane you'd be getting pulled down into your seat, but in the real world you're hanging upside down, then as the plane pulls through you are hanging forward until you're right side up again.  Really doesn't match what would be happening in the plane at all.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
Safe stuff is boring.

Yes but one can see why commercial efforts with this sort of stuff have been cut short. It's a law suit waiting to happen even if you try to make it fool proof. Imagine a child sticking their hand between the cage while he/she watches you play...
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
That's probably why the Noon dude is no longer making his sting-mounted sim seat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3F1kBHlqU

Maybe some idiot mounted it to 2x4 framing and ripped a structural wall down.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Yes but one can see why commercial efforts with this sort of stuff have been cut short. It's a law suit waiting to happen even if you try to make it fool proof. Imagine a child sticking their hand between the cage while he/she watches you play...

Oh yeah, it'd have to be fully enclosed, and even then stuff can go wrong.  You can't engineer something like that for the lowest common denominator, which is what everything needs to be.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
It's not just safety. Rolling past 15 or 20 degrees with out centrifugal force to counter gravity becomes less immersive and just more a headache.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
That's probably why the Noon dude is no longer making his sting-mounted sim seat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn3F1kBHlqU

Maybe some idiot mounted it to 2x4 framing and ripped a structural wall down.

LOL you cannot put a VR headset on that. It'd screw up the tracking.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
LOL you cannot put a VR headset on that. It'd screw up the tracking.

I tend to agree. The refernce point for the VR headset is like an h-point fixed w/r the aircraft. Conceivably, moving it with respect to ground wouldn't net you a view change - unless that reference point was coded to be somewhere else. In that case, your head motion w/r the seat + the seat relative to ground would net your view, but i see no such evidence of coding like that in an off-the-shelf headset.

Once again, Vulcan, you make a skeptical and credible point. I'm starting to think you must've eaten the worm in that last bottle of gusano y rojo...

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
On further review, it's even worse than that: the seat is only moving with limited translation. The motion of the seat w/r ground frame + head relative to seat still wouldn't get it.

It'd be easiest to use the hood and track w/r the cockpit frame.

All that said, if you got any miscellaneous body parts in the way of those plunging actuators or, worse, in the chain drive, you'd definitely make some hamburger.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Check this out. Probably never make it but one can dream.

http://www.feelthree.com

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
Re HMD. If tracking camera is mounted on moving platform that moves with seat, seems it would be the same as having a monitor mounted on moving part. Only difference is the body is moving to match (or approximate the view).
If I can get my Rift to work with DCS, I will give it a try😀