Author Topic: if u want to keep players...  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: if u want to keep players...
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
The tank scene has exploaded

From 2007 (your BBS registration) to today the time share of GV play has risen from about 20% to about 25%.

I wouldn't call that an explosion.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
From 2007 (your BBS registration) to today the time share of GV play has risen from about 20% to about 25%.

I wouldn't call that an explosion.

I can remember a few times I've logged in to 90-120 people in flight, with bardar only showing enough for 30 people or less assuming no NOE.  As a percentage overall GVing might be not that much higher, but has more of an effect off peak?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
I can remember a few times I've logged in to 90-120 people in flight, with bardar only showing enough for 30 people or less assuming no NOE.  As a percentage overall GVing might be not that much higher, but has more of an effect off peak?

I'm currently looking into that thing, with the limited tools I have at hand.
Unfortunately, I can't really track time in modes at smaller intervals than once per (completed) tour. But I am able to track the killstats for planes and GV, and they show that the GV game (unlike plane activity) is often going even to absolute zero at offpeak.

('activity' data from last few days. Plane kills&deaths are blue, GV kills&deaths are red.Maps during that time were ndisles, baltic, ozkansas, sfma, craterma. Time is CEST. Sampling rate in this chart =1h)

It needs a higher number of players to get the GV game going, as is apparent every time CraterMa is up. At offpeak tank crater is often totally deserted, only at later hours the spark ignites the ground fire, so to say.

I have also scanned the map for flashing towns, which would indicate (milking) GV activity there, but I couldn't see much of it either.

So far I'd say GV activity at offpeak ain't really increased, at least not significantly

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
I know,  log in- see an ENY of a zillion -log off

Switch sides ever? Isn't that what the ENY is to nudge and encourage anyways.

Why is it that you log instead of switching sides to go and fight one of the sides "allied" with one another? Go break the "alliance".
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
Switch sides ever? Isn't that what the ENY is to nudge and encourage anyways.

12h limit. I will just end up in the same situation on the other side 5 or 6 hours later.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Ever watch a grandmother clock? Notice that pendulum that swings to and fro beneath the face??? The game of AH is just like that. The sooner you learn that the sooner you'll enjoy the game.  The game isn't going to bend over for YOU, you must adjust so that you don't take it up the wazoo from the game.  Get it?  Good.  Now get back in there and enjoy AH.   :aok   

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
Or if you are me, You have the fight to take on 15 v 1, and end up shooting down 14 of them as the other 1 run's home to tell the rest of his friends so that he can bring more for you to shoot down again

:airplane:

<<S>>

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Or if you are me, You have the fight to take on 15 v 1, and end up shooting down 14 of them as the other 1 run's home to tell the rest of his friends so that he can bring more for you to shoot down again

:airplane:

<<S>>

Well there aint no ego's in this thread, LTAR has it all.  :D

All kidding aside Zemme, it is what it is, you just have to learn how to deal with it. Get good in Wirbl or man gun, it really gets their goat when 15 come swooping in and 6 or 7 die from man guns and GV's. Another is run supplies, they really get upset when they put all that effort into killing a town and it pops on them just as their troops arrive .  :rofl :rofl
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
No not all, i was a bit angry when i wrote it and i suppose u shouldnt post in anger...
But still it isnt very fun to play when u are outnumbered by 6 to 1.

One guy even landed on our deacked and vulched field and i killed him, then he pm:ed me and told me i wasnt supposed to kill planes on the ground...  :rofl

I love killing planes on the ground!!

On a side note: Ive recently been switching sides just because of other sides having lower numbers.  Some speak against such but I actually enjoy it.  Its funny to finally hear the voice of that one that is always "getting under the skin." Hell I like swapping.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:48:41 PM by Cremator »
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
Well there aint no ego's in this thread, LTAR has it all.  :D

All kidding aside Zemme, it is what it is, you just have to learn how to deal with it. Get good in Wirbl or man gun, it really gets their goat when 15 come swooping in and 6 or 7 die from man guns and GV's. Another is run supplies, they really get upset when they put all that effort into killing a town and it pops on them just as their troops arrive .  :rofl :rofl

Not about having a Ego when you can back it up with a Oust  :aok  :devil  :angel:

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »
Here are the 3 problems gameplay faces, in no particular order.

1. Maps too large for numbers. This one has been explained to death, but still maps that are too large *even at peak numbers* tend to predominate.

2. HQ down-I've seen nights where one or more sides had HQ down for *hours*. In a game where player populations are often too small for the maps they are on, making it even more difficult for red and green dar bars to come together is just more poison for game play.

3. Hangars down-I've seen nights where the hangars for every base for a given side anywhere near the only major fight on the map for that side were down. When a player is happily doing what you are supposed to do-up, fight die, repeat-and they suddenly get a "You cannot fly a plane from this field" message for any field convenient to the fight, that is an instant log out right then and there I'd imagine. Which is one less player playing, which contributes to the lack of action problem. A negative feedback loop.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
What happened to the old days ?  :old: You know the days when stuff like this happened and it drove people to get better skill  :airplane: to either  A ) not let it happen anymore. or  B ) take off from a HQ base = which if memory serves me right Can't be destroyed in any way. and fight the enemy head on. Yes they may be able to ( Camp ) but you have ways of defending said ( Camp )   :noid

Learn how to overcome what force is in-front of you and stop complaining about it happening.   :bhead

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
What happened to the old days ?  :old: You know the days when stuff like this happened and it drove people to get better skill  :airplane: to either  A ) not let it happen anymore. or  B ) take off from a HQ base = which if memory serves me right Can't be destroyed in any way. and fight the enemy head on. Yes they may be able to ( Camp ) but you have ways of defending said ( Camp )   :noid

Learn how to overcome what force is in-front of you and stop complaining about it happening.   :bhead

Combat environment has changed. What once worked, doesn't necessarily work anymore. For example HQ... on some maps, a NOE raider can get to HQ without triggering any alarm on his way, so nobody can actually stop him in time. And when he kills HQ, it now can be down for up to 165 minutes, with much more difficult resupply.
Less players, different base and town layouts (more ack, more buildings), different vehicles... a lot of stuff have changed things in oen way or another over the years.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
No not all, i was a bit angry when i wrote it and i suppose u shouldnt post in anger...
But still it isnt very fun to play when u are outnumbered by 6 to 1.

One guy even landed on our deacked and vulched field and i killed him, then he pm:ed me and told me i wasnt supposed to kill planes on the ground...  :rofl

Now now, lets stick to facts here. I said "your supposed to shoot at the planes in the air." It's what's passes for a joke on late nights. I understand your feelings completely. The other side can seem like a bunch of humorless cowards afraid to let you get up and fight when your all by yourself against 5 enemy intent on base capture. It's just the nature of the game and it means if you get frustrated with vulch death masocism it's up to you to change it up, unfortunately it means a longer flight from the next base over before engagement.

What this game needs above all is more players so please don't go. AVA is a great arena but is dullsville without a critical mass, this principal applies to the MA as well. It might not matter to you but I appreciate your participation in this game, it needs you.
Pies not kicks.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:47 AM »
12h limit. I will just end up in the same situation on the other side 5 or 6 hours later.

Well yes, there is that. Maybe a more cordial approach from the masses could get that issue revisited.

I have not switched for a very long time, not because I have anything against it, but because I know my fellow Knights...know which ones will help, clear 6 and clear my 12 too. Knights have fun regardless of how badly their tails are getting handed to them, so I'm good there. Lately I've wanted to switch, but knowing that if I do it before a peak time and I want to login a couple hours later I'll be on a side I'd rather not be.

In the beginning I joined a squad after a couple months and resided there for a long time. That squad preaches chess piece loyalty and skewed my perspective, it took me a long time to warm up to the idea that switching is good for the game.

These days I have limited time and really just want to go where the big red darbars are; maybe the rule will be revisited/changed with the new release.

p.s. the J2M would be a great addition, but that belongs in the wishlist...

They're casting their bait over there, see?