Author Topic: What AH needs...  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: What AH needs...
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »
Somewhen around 2006 - 2007 blue and orange MA were capped at 250 and later at 350 players except Titanic Tuesday. Single arena's were 650 player cap as far as I know

It was in AH2, September 2006 (Tour 80). And the caps wasn't set to a fixed single number for Late War, is was a dynamic cap system that was meant to distribute the population between the two LW arenas, Orange and Blue.
It kicked in at 1900 hours Euro time and started with 100 (Orange, the popular arena) and 150 (Blue, the second one). Once the population of blue reached a certain threshold, LWO limit was raised to 150 and so on.

The other arenas had fixed cap, but only in theory. Those numebrs were never reached.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »
My last response to you as it is obvious that you don't wish to have a discussion on the topic at hand but wish instead to insult and belittle me.

yippee

As a bit to show your "stellar" memory, from this quote "I seem to remember AH being at 250 when I first joined in either '01 or '02.", you didn't join AH until November 03. So you couldn't have been here during the "hey days" right after AW. You could at least "check" your memory before you let your mouth run over.  :D

And you based this on what? The first time the NAME..... muzik shows up in score? You are so frikn brilliant I can't stand it anymore. Thank god those were your last words.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
Aces high has always allowed us to fly from point A to B, but as of lately we are missing what is in-between A and B.  Aces High needs something that happens midway through the journey... It used be here...I remember it! :old: midway

:noid :noid

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Forgive him, he appears to have self esteem issues.   He is sierra hotel in his own mind and correct.

Ahhhh hahaha. The cats out of the bag. I always knew you were an envious little guy. How long have you been carrying that chip around? 10+ years?  Why come out now? What happened, are they dropping? You really should decide on who's ankle your going to hump though. I'd prefer you stay on fugi really, but if you must... bring it on.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
I truly believe that the majority of players think that gathering in a horde with a heavy fighter to roll the next base is the "be all" of this game. They have no clue about how evolved missions CAN be, and so I post about those. I also believe that they think that getting a kill is a fight. So we see so many HOs because those those are the easiest shots to possible get a kill. Drive right at the other guy and hold the trigger down. And so I post about those. I'm not complaining, I'm posting in the hopes someone will read the post and say "huh, I didn't know/think about that", and the game will get better for them and ultimately the rest of us as well.

Scenario:

I see an aircraft approaching, with no other friendlies or enemies around. It's essentially a 1v1. The aircraft, obviously planning on using angles tactics, decides to start pulling a lead turn early in hopes of gaining angles. This gives me two bits of information before the fight (merge) happens:

• My opponent is planning on spending his energy in hopes for an angles fight
  • My opponent will not be able to hit me head-on due to his choice in tactics

Therefore, I can do one of two things:

A: I can shoot him as he passes, as he has no way to shoot me back and end the fight quickly (as the end goal is killing him)

or...

B: I can ignore the shot he has presented me, knowing he couldn't hit me even if he tried, and spend the next 5-10 minutes to end the fight (as the end goal is killing him)

Maybe in the delusional minds of a few, there is no value in a front-quarter shot. The fact is, both end with the player dying, which is the end goal. Why a player would cry and complain and rant about dying faster instead of slower is quite hilarious and illogical.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:31 AM »
they're right skyer.  your 200 rants on da and noob talk is exactly an example of what is driving new players away.  that and midway.

You mean where I mock people who cry about HO shots? Where I shut down unsavory bad finks who cry when they lose duels? Because I initiate those, right?

Example: a certain prominent player dove on me with significant altitude, in a Mossie 6, yesterday when I was already heavily engaged with a Yak-3. There were no friendlies around. I killed both of them, but not after an extended stall fight that lasted for 3-4 minutes with the Mossie pilot. He saluted me. I did not return a salute or say anything whatsoever in chat. 4-5 minutes later, said player starts demanding a response as to why I didn't return his salute. When I informed him that there was nothing worth saluting in that fight, that he had taken an extreme advantage against an already engaged opponent and lost, he ranted on 200 for the next several minutes about what a jerk I was, even though he was the one demanding I conform to HIS demands. Strangely enough (or perhaps simply business as usual in this game), it was then considered my fault for being a jerk to him by his friends and squad members, as they chimed in on 200.

This is nothing unique or special, and has been my experience from day 1 in this game.

Common comments and attitudes found here:

• "Don't shoot me anywhere from in front of the 3/9 line!!!!"
  • "He actually shot me forward of the 3/9 line! What a noob!"
  • "So what if I shot you in front of the 3/9 line? You didn't have a shot so it wasn't a HO!"
  • "Roping is easy! You would fly a turnfighter if you had skill!"
  • "Turning in that plane is easy! You only jumped in that because you don't know how to turn a FW-190A-8!"
  • "Those planes are for dweebs!"
  • "Well I only lost because I didn't fly a plane for dweebs!"
  • "I saluted you first, so you must salute me back!"

THIS is an example of the community that is killing itself. Conform to our idea of fun and honor or we'll attempt to ostracize you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:48:40 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
 :rofl....you are priceless....

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
THIS is an example of the community that is killing itself

It's far from certain that you or your lackey, Kruella DeVille incessantly expounding on your prowess is helping the game. 

"Hey everyone, we beat another leet squad 2v2!  LOOK AT US!!!!!"  :x
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Maybe in beta, but I don't know of any caps in AH1. Never heard heard or read about them at all either, not when I did my first "2weeks" back then nor anybody remebered any such caps at the time of the arena split and the new ones were introduced.
Can anybody else confirm an effective arena cap during the single MA days of AH1 (not AW)? And if so, when did it stop?

Fugi was using kills to estimate player population.

The point I tried to make is that the listed arena caps grew AS the population grew. This suggests the arena cap back then was also an indicator judging by a comment hitech made.  

Both methods are crude and a bit off topic.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:18:30 PM by muzik »

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »
This is nothing unique or special, and has been my experience from day 1 in this game.

I'm not commenting on your little salute scenario, but I'm pretty sure your experience in this game is not too terribly different than your experience in the last game. Or the game before that.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »
I'm not commenting on your little salute scenario, but I'm pretty sure your experience in this game is not too terribly different than your experience in the last game. Or the game before that.

You'd be mistaken, then. This is the first, and only, game I've ever encountered where the community is virtually devoid of pure, unadultered competition and objectivity.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
"Hey everyone, we beat another leet squad 2v2!  LOOK AT US!!!!!"  :x

The 2v2's are simply an attempt to spark some actual competition (see my previous reply). If we were interested in broadcasting wins for the sake of doing so, Kruel would have pointed out beating you 1v1 the last time you engaged him.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
You'd be mistaken, then. This is the first, and only, game I've ever encountered where the community is virtually devoid of pure, unadultered competition and objectivity.

That may or may not be true, but I wasn't talking about competition and objectivity.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
The 2v2's are simply an attempt to spark some actual competition (see my previous reply). If we were interested in broadcasting wins for the sake of doing so, Kruel would have pointed out beating you 1v1 the last time you engaged him.

And a very big deal it must have been to beat a slightly above average pilot with his Dora and an energy advantage.  Maybe he should start a thread about it.  :aok

Strange that you came up with that info so fast.  Do you guys have a big board on the wall, emblazoned with all the names of your vanquished foes? 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
I've never seen a new player come to the game so starved for attention...

Skyyr speaking to the Aces High Community