Author Topic: Multiple Blue Screens Crash Events  (Read 465 times)

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
Multiple Blue Screens Crash Events
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
Just this past two weeks I've been getting the Blue Screen crash and reboot while playing one line and off line.  It is preceded with a failure of my saitek X52 losing its settings, usually during or just after fighting.  Occasionally I was able to re calibrate the  joy stick and rudder pedals, but it shortly thereafter go to screen mess, humming, then the blue screen and go into reboot.

I use zone alarm, have for the past 8 to ten years, without any problems.

I recently replaced the X52 joy stick with a new one.  It views were not working properly any more.  It worked fine with the updated drivers.

The system is an older upgraded one, upgraded when the Pentium 4 quad core 2.4 GHz, L1 cache of 128kb and L2 Cache 8192kb.  Video card is an ATI 4800 series with 1024 MB memory.

I think the system is approaching 10 years old, can't remember exactly.  I may be due for a new system.

Any ideas?

If I go for a new build, I'm looking  at the I5-4690 on a ASUS Sabertooth Z87 along with, for now, just one ASUS Radeon R9280.  Think that would handle the graphics maxed out, with good frame rates? 

Thanks for any ideas on either repair or if new system may be needed.

:airplane:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Multiple Blue Screens Crash Events
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
My guess is your powersupply either isn't strong enough to to keep up (if it hasn't been upgraded with the rest of the box) or it is just starting to go bad. USB dropping out followed by a crash could just be lack of power.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »
if you hear lots of static on your puter it's a sure sign of the ps going bad.  then again after 10 years, you need a better door stop :).

semp

edit:  btw you need to start from scratch on a build that old.  about the only thing that can be reused is your dvd player.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:59:41 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:25:09 AM »
My guess is your powersupply either isn't strong enough to to keep up (if it hasn't been upgraded with the rest of the box) or it is just starting to go bad. USB dropping out followed by a crash could just be lack of power.

Yes sounds a lot like power supply related problems. If the supply is already 10 years old it may be failing due to age alone.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
I appreciate the response.

Yes, I do want to build a new one, but I'd like to keep this old one for a possible security camera system.  I would like to see what is going on in the back acre.

With the new modifications coming out for the game, I think I should wait to see what I will need to build a machine that will give me great graphics and frame rates.  I have not been flying much the past few years, but since I am now no longer gainfully employed (Retired  :banana:), I have more time on my hands for yard work, gardens and playing games.

As a side note, I have the new Lightning flying in the area almost on a daily basis.  They occasionally cut across my back acre,about 100 yards east of my house.  And yes, they are much louder than the F16 as that are still flying here as well.  The F35 sounds remind me of the F4 Phantoms I used to hear constantly back in 69 through 71.

Again thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
As has been said, an old PSU may cause all kinds of trouble. You might also want to take a look at your motherboard for swollen capacitors. For the blue screen culprits try WhoCrashed by Resplendence Software. If it says the same for every BSOD, try new drivers or other software solutions. If you see different reasons for each, it's most likely either the PSU or the mobo, especially in case of base level windows system files.

And yes, for gaming you'd need a new one and what you're looking at looks viable for longevity.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni