Author Topic: A More Interesting TA as a Bridge Between Old and New Players  (Read 1273 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: A More Interesting TA as a Bridge Between Old and New Players
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
I like the idea of the big "in your face" warning for new players who go straight to the MA. Just a pop up that says something like "Caution: Aces High 2 is a very difficult game with a steep learning curve. We highly recommend you spend some time in the Training Arena before jumping into combat so as to learn the controls of the planes and vehicles and set up your preferred keybindings." and then give them the option to either click "Yes, take me to the TA" which, if clicked, will load them into the TA, or "No thanks" and allow them into the MA.

I also like the idea that your 2 week free trial doesn't start until you log into the MA and you get unlimited free time in the TA. If this was the way it worked then if they clicked "No Thanks" and tried to go into the MA anyways maybe give them one more warning pop up saying "Warning: Your 2 week free trial time will not start until you enter the Main Arena. Are you sure you would like to skip the Training Arena? Time spent in the Training Arena will not be counted towards your 2 week free trial."

+1 for shida's post! TA could use a little overhaul to help new players out when no one is in there.  :aok

might as well says "you arent welcome because you are a noob".

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Air Warrior as I recall had a beginners arena.  When you achieved 10,000 points as I recall you were booted  out of the beginners arena

and were forced to play relaxed real or full real arenas.  In the beginners arena you participating against other NOOBS of equal experience.

Not a bad idea to do that here.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
All World.  This would be a great thread except Triton28 posted in it :D
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
All World.  This would be a great thread except Triton28 posted in it :D

I know right.  It's like, better than that now and stuff. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
might as well says "you arent welcome because you are a noob".

Presently a new person's first few hours/days/weeks in the MA probably says exactly that anyway.  The proposed warning is a very good idea, coupled with a clear direction to an arena a new person might not easily find.

- oldman

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
Great ideas.. I like the unlimited time with the 2 weeks period starting on the initial MA/SEA login. Maybe even with a BIG in your face warning the first time you goto connect to an arena other then the TA.

At some point someone mentioned so many hour spent in the air in the TA before even being able to go to another arena. I liked that one also. Maybe the first 40 hours can only be in the TA.

40 HOURS !

Some people don't even play 40 hours a month.
Top Gun

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
It might be good to have a beginners level MA as well..  Maybe make it available to players one year and under, while allowing trainers access to help them along...
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
It might be good to have a beginners level MA as well..  Maybe make it available to players one year and under, while allowing trainers access to help them along...

So not so good players playing against more not so good players. . .do you progress?
I got better from getting my head beat in by the greats and I don't know many people who progress in the game from constantly killing someone who is either the same skill level or a little less experienced.
Top Gun

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
So not so good players playing against more not so good players. . .do you progress?
I got better from getting my head beat in by the greats and I don't know many people who progress in the game from constantly killing someone who is either the same skill level or a little less experienced.

You do progress in that you stay longer, learning more and more as you fight on a more even play field. As they become a "shark" in the kiddy pool they get taken out and thrown in with the real sharks at which time while maybe not the shark they thought they were they stand a bit of a chance against these others and so don't get as frustrated. Also spending a month or two or 3 in the game before getting dropped in with the sharks gets them hooked that much more.

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

Three month free subscription - yeah baby, three free months but for the first two you are only allowed in the TA - think about it!

This is gold. Add in some training aids a la Air Warrior to help a noob to develop and I think many new players would be attracted to the game once AH3 is up and running...and HEAVILY advertised.

:rock :salute Nrshida

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Instead of two weeks or even a month free, how about 100 hours free

The gung ho noobs can immediately log in to the MA and upon finding out it's not so easy, will have the option to visit the new and improved TA without losing free time.  Until their 100 free in-game hours are spent, the "would you like to go to the TA?" message would pop up at every log in.  Most people will probably just go to the MA first and many of those will get discouraged and quit.  I did.  Unless you are a masochist or familiar with the genre, this game requires some small measure of success before you really get hooked. 

However, forcing people to go into the TA will turn off many prospective players.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Shida is there a condensed version of your comments :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
Shida is there a condensed version of your comments :old:

Facilitate  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
I've toyed with the idea of starting a newbie squad but don't have the time to commit to it.

The premise goes something like this:

The squad is open to new players after their two week free trial up to three to four months after subscribing at which point they are let loose to pursue whatever avenues they care to within AH.  Players in their two week free trial are allowed and encouraged to play with the squad but wouldn't be invited until they subscribed.

During a player's tenure in the squad all aspects of AH would be explored as a squad, from fighter sweeps to bomber missions, GV missions, CV missions, base takes, etc.  In addition, AH events (scenarios, FSO, This Day In, KOH, Xtreme Racing League, etc.) as available.  Of course, players would be encouraged to help one another as they made new discoveries within the game.

At the end of their tenure they'd be expelled from the squad to find their own way, but with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game and an idea of what style of gameplay best suits their needs.

As I said, I don't play enough to accomplish this but if anyone else did I'd be willing to help when possible as a veteran resource.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
I've toyed with the idea of starting a newbie squad but don't have the time to commit to it.

The premise goes something like this:

The squad is open to new players after their two week free trial up to three to four months after subscribing at which point they are let loose to pursue whatever avenues they care to within AH.  Players in their two week free trial are allowed and encouraged to play with the squad but wouldn't be invited until they subscribed.

During a player's tenure in the squad all aspects of AH would be explored as a squad, from fighter sweeps to bomber missions, GV missions, CV missions, base takes, etc.  In addition, AH events (scenarios, FSO, This Day In, KOH, Xtreme Racing League, etc.) as available.  Of course, players would be encouraged to help one another as they made new discoveries within the game.

At the end of their tenure they'd be expelled from the squad to find their own way, but with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game and an idea of what style of gameplay best suits their needs.

As I said, I don't play enough to accomplish this but if anyone else did I'd be willing to help when possible as a veteran resource.

Excellent idea.  Maybe someone can do it sometime.
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.