Author Topic: Graphic Card Technical Issues  (Read 2440 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Graphic Card Technical Issues
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »
I picked up the XFX R9 270X

So far everything is installing well and seems to be downloading the drivers now.  Just trying to get the computer to pick up the card.  Not sure if I need to do something in BIOS yet or not.

Should be in the air soon though!!!   :joystick:    :airplane:

Thanks again for the information.  That tomshardware site had a ton of valuable information.

Thanks again peeps!

:rock
SlipKnoT

I'm not sure what you mean by 'having the computer pick up the card'. If you manage to boot to desktop and have a picture with the monitor hooked up to the card it's 'picked up'. Following a successful driver install you should be good to go.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »
Hopefully you've uninstalled all previous drivers before installing new ones. Since they're both AMD (I don't count the one which didn't even boot), using the AMD Catalyst Install Manager might be enough. You'll find it in ControlPanel->Programs and Features.

I did uninstall the old drivers.  I installed the new drivers.

The AMD Catalyst Manager is there now, but not completely.  Many things seem to be missing from it.  Both the CD and the online versions are not completely installing correctly.

In my devices under the drivers, the only Display Driver showing is a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.   

For one reason or another, the new drivers are not installing correctly.

I went to the ASUS site and installed the drivers there.  Same result.

I went to the XFX website and did the same with the same result.

I plugged in my old card and it picks right up and installs the correct drivers.  Then crashes when the card gets too hot.

I heard that I can try one of two things...

1.  Update BIOS.  I tried and got to "extract" the files from a zipped folder.  Don't know what else to do with BIOS.  BIOS scares the hell out of me...

2.  I was told to try creating another account in "windows; users" and that may create a work around.

At this point, I know the card works, or I wouldn't have a screen.  The issue appears to be getting the drivers to fully install, which I can't for one reason or another.

Anyone have any ideas?  And advice on how I can get BIOS updated without risking a major computer crash?????

Thanks!!!!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »
I did uninstall the old drivers.  I installed the new drivers.

The AMD Catalyst Manager is there now, but not completely.  Many things seem to be missing from it.  Both the CD and the online versions are not completely installing correctly.

In my devices under the drivers, the only Display Driver showing is a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.   

For one reason or another, the new drivers are not installing correctly.

I went to the ASUS site and installed the drivers there.  Same result.

I went to the XFX website and did the same with the same result.

I plugged in my old card and it picks right up and installs the correct drivers.  Then crashes when the card gets too hot.

I heard that I can try one of two things...

1.  Update BIOS.  I tried and got to "extract" the files from a zipped folder.  Don't know what else to do with BIOS.  BIOS scares the hell out of me...

2.  I was told to try creating another account in "windows; users" and that may create a work around.

At this point, I know the card works, or I wouldn't have a screen.  The issue appears to be getting the drivers to fully install, which I can't for one reason or another.

Anyone have any ideas?  And advice on how I can get BIOS updated without risking a major computer crash?????

Thanks!!!!

Don't mess with the bios. You can brick your computer if you make a mistake with it. If you can't get the driver to install it's time to reinstall windows. You can do a new Windows install without formatting the old drive, just install Windows again to the same location as the old one. You'll have a fresh Windows installation with all old files intact but do note that you will have to install many games and other software again after the Windows install.

Many programs have a nasty habbit of storing values to Windows registry or even replace system DLLs with their own versions and if you clear it by installing windows again, those programs cease to work. It's a good practice to avoid installing this kind of software in general. The more crud of that sort you install, the more you gunk up your computer and slow it down.

Aces High is a good example of a software that does not gunk up your computer. It doesn't require any registry settings and works even if you just copy the game folder from your friends computer.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
Don't mess with the bios. You can brick your computer if you make a mistake with it. If you can't get the driver to install it's time to reinstall windows. You can do a new Windows install without formatting the old drive, just install Windows again to the same location as the old one. You'll have a fresh Windows installation with all old files intact but do note that you will have to install many games and other software again after the Windows install.

Many programs have a nasty habbit of storing values to Windows registry or even replace system DLLs with their own versions and if you clear it by installing windows again, those programs cease to work. It's a good practice to avoid installing this kind of software in general. The more crud of that sort you install, the more you gunk up your computer and slow it down.

Aces High is a good example of a software that does not gunk up your computer. It doesn't require any registry settings and works even if you just copy the game folder from your friends computer.

many computers have a reset button that will bring bios back to factory settings.  actually i havent seen a mobo without a reset button in 7 or 8 years.

and for the record ah wont work properly if you copy the game folder from your friends computer.  you need to get rid of some files in the settings folder.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

The rock and hard place...

I just moved from PA to TX.  ALL of my computer stuff is certainly packed away in storage in one of over a hundred boxes... YIKES!!!

Well...   ...No choice but to go digging if there is any chance I make it to FSO this week.   hahahahahahaha!

Seriously, that was a VERY sarcastic laugh!

Sounds like I need to re install Windows then...  DAMN!!!

I'll report back to let you know if it works.

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 04:17:04 AM »
Here's a thing to try: Copy and paste the following lines in Notepad and save as something like "devices.bat"  - you can either use the quotes without altering anything or change the file type setting from .txt to all filetypes and remove the quotes. If you do it right, you should get an executable batch file as a result. Right click it and choose "run as administrator". Your Device Manager should open. In the View menu choose "show hidden devices". Navigate to "display adapters", click the + sign to open it and simply delete any instance of your old video cards. Leave the standard VGA! You can go through other instances too, you might find traces of your old antivirus programs which you should also get rid of, not to mention a multitude of disk drives and storage controllers left by each and every memory stick you've ever used. Basically everything greyed is safe to remove, but under "non plug and play drivers" there's some item's I'd rather leave be like Fs_Rec and  RDPNP as well as under and "sound, video and game controllers" where I'd only touch items clearly related to AMD/ATi, everything else being original Windows files. Also delete anything with a ! sign inside a yellow triangle, hopefully they'd get corrected during the next boot. If your Windows isn't badly corrupted, any mistakenly deleted item should reinstall automatically, so it's relatively safe.

@echo off
devmgr_show_nonpresent_device s=1
start devmgmt.msc

Speaking about a reinstall, the advice MrRipley gave isn't quite correct, IMO. If you do as he advised, you'd get a "Windows OLD" folder containing almost everything form your current install, but no programs inside it will work. As he said, you'd have to reinstall every program you need. Your personal files would be there fully usable, though. There's another way to refresh Windows Vista or 7 which will save everything! The trick is to start the installing from within Windows. Put the installation disk into the optical drive and follow the instructions. You'd want to "install windows" and in the following screen choose "upgrade" instead of "clean". If you boot from the DVD the upgrade option would be greyed, so you'll have to start inside your current Windows. N.B. your DVD has to be of the same version as the Windows in your computer. So if your DVD doesn't include any Service Pack, you'd have to uninstall those first from the computer to get to the same level. They can be uninstalled through Windows Update, IIRC, from View Update History. Only the SP's have to be removed, smaller updates won't matter.

Speaking about the logic... It sounds funny, but Windows really can be "upgraded" to the same version it already is. The result will be similar to that of the "Repair install" feature of XP, only made somewhat more confusing to use.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »

Actually, we require one registry entry, but if it does not exist when the game starts, we create it.  It is needed for patches to work, so the patch program knows where the game is installed.

Yes, we take a certain amount of pride in the fact we do not 'gunk' up a computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
many computers have a reset button that will bring bios back to factory settings.  actually i havent seen a mobo without a reset button in 7 or 8 years.

and for the record ah wont work properly if you copy the game folder from your friends computer.  you need to get rid of some files in the settings folder.

semp

If your friend has a similar computer setup it will work. I was talking about registry. User settings are a totally different matter.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:27:13 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Actually, we require one registry entry, but if it does not exist when the game starts, we create it.  It is needed for patches to work, so the patch program knows where the game is installed.

Yes, we take a certain amount of pride in the fact we do not 'gunk' up a computer.

Well, we can forgive you for that one setting  :P

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »
Here's a thing to try: Copy and paste the following lines in Notepad and save as something like "devices.bat"  - you can either use the quotes without altering anything or change the file type setting from .txt to all filetypes and remove the quotes. If you do it right, you should get an executable batch file as a result. Right click it and choose "run as administrator". Your Device Manager should open. In the View menu choose "show hidden devices". Navigate to "display adapters", click the + sign to open it and simply delete any instance of your old video cards. Leave the standard VGA! You can go through other instances too, you might find traces of your old antivirus programs which you should also get rid of, not to mention a multitude of disk drives and storage controllers left by each and every memory stick you've ever used. Basically everything greyed is safe to remove, but under "non plug and play drivers" there's some item's I'd rather leave be like Fs_Rec and  RDPNP as well as under and "sound, video and game controllers" where I'd only touch items clearly related to AMD/ATi, everything else being original Windows files. Also delete anything with a ! sign inside a yellow triangle, hopefully they'd get corrected during the next boot. If your Windows isn't badly corrupted, any mistakenly deleted item should reinstall automatically, so it's relatively safe.

@echo off
devmgr_show_nonpresent_device s=1
start devmgmt.msc

Speaking about a reinstall, the advice MrRipley gave isn't quite correct, IMO. If you do as he advised, you'd get a "Windows OLD" folder containing almost everything form your current install, but no programs inside it will work. As he said, you'd have to reinstall every program you need. Your personal files would be there fully usable, though. There's another way to refresh Windows Vista or 7 which will save everything! The trick is to start the installing from within Windows. Put the installation disk into the optical drive and follow the instructions. You'd want to "install windows" and in the following screen choose "upgrade" instead of "clean". If you boot from the DVD the upgrade option would be greyed, so you'll have to start inside your current Windows. N.B. your DVD has to be of the same version as the Windows in your computer. So if your DVD doesn't include any Service Pack, you'd have to uninstall those first from the computer to get to the same level. They can be uninstalled through Windows Update, IIRC, from View Update History. Only the SP's have to be removed, smaller updates won't matter.

Speaking about the logic... It sounds funny, but Windows really can be "upgraded" to the same version it already is. The result will be similar to that of the "Repair install" feature of XP, only made somewhat more confusing to use.

You're right there will be the windows.old folder but that can be deleted later fairly easily and until that, all it takes is some hdd space.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
Well. I jacked up my computer really good... looking for a place to take it to today. The one in watauga says they can get it done for me by Monday for about $50.

Skuzzy, do you know anyone locally you would trust? Still new to the area... please feel to post here or shoot me a pm if you have a recommendation.

Thanks!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
I really have no idea who would be good for that.  I do all my own work.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
Roger that.  Moonlight?   :lol
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
Roger that.  Moonlight?   :lol

If your computer boots up, anyone could take a look using a remote support software.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
Hope so.  Something installed last night.  Now when it boots up, as soon as it tries to go into windows, the screen is black.  It is in the boot registry I think now.  I tore up something really good!!!

The guy in town offered to fix it for $50.  I think it is worth it at this point...  lol
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT