Author Topic: Graphic Card Technical Issues  (Read 2419 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Graphic Card Technical Issues
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
Hope so.  Something installed last night.  Now when it boots up, as soon as it tries to go into windows, the screen is black.  It is in the boot registry I think now.  I tore up something really good!!!

The guy in town offered to fix it for $50.  I think it is worth it at this point...  lol

A reinstall will fix it easily. If he works for 20 bucks an hour he can take 2 hours to fix your puter, that's more than enough to reinstall windows and set up most commonly needed stuff again.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
If your friend has a similar computer setup it will work. I was talking about registry. User settings are a totally different matter.

wrong again.  It will not work.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »

wrong again.  It will not work.

semp

State reasons why. I have copied AH from a computer to another with zero problems.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:21:59 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Actually, a repair installation of the operating system might be all that is needed.  Worth a shot.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
I asked them to reinstall the OS and get my card running.  They said it shouldn't be more than $50.  Worth me not having to find that box in storage in this heat. I know most Texans are making fun if me due to the cool summer but I do come from a colder place... Texas is brutally hot IMHO. I will try to relay what they did so maybe it can help someone else out. Again, thank you all for trying to help. Love our cyber community. You guys are awesome!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
State reasons why. I have copied AH from a computer to another with zero problems.

i have copied aces high from another hd to a new one on my computer.  you need to get rid of about 4 files before it works.  please post specs of both computers to back up your story.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »
i have copied aces high from another hd to a new one on my computer.  you need to get rid of about 4 files before it works.  please post specs of both computers to back up your story.

semp

No need to post specs. You stated it can't work even in a similar computer. Which files *need* to be deleted and what do they control? Joystick settings do not *need* to be deleted for example. View settings do not *need* to be deleted. Video settings in most cases (if ever) do not *need* to be deleted, only reconfigured when starting the game on a new computer.

To my knowledge AH2 contains no files that would prevent from starting the game on another computer, reconfigure settings to your liking and start playing. Which files and settings in your opinion require deleting?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 07:02:08 AM »
i would but you will just go into another 3 pages over why you are right.

semp

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
The following files should not be copied to another computer.  If they are, they should be deleted.  All are in the "settings" folder.

video8.cfg
sysinfo.cfg
world.cfg
freq.cfg

Those files contain specific information about the computer and can cause problems if they are used with another computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
boy have I been lucky then because I have copied from one hard drive to a new one on 2 different computers, and each time it worked for me. I did use the same video card though so that might have made a difference.

salute
ab8aac/dmdchief
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
We do endeavor to update those files, but many times on a copy, players move them from read-only media and forget to update the permissions of the files so we can write to them again.  Or some stupid security/anti-xxxx program stops us from updating our own files.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »
Okay. When I get the new card, should i uninstall the game and download it again?
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
Okay. When I get the new card, should i uninstall the game and download it again?

If you do,save a copy of the settings folder,then you will have all your controllers and views saved,just overwrite the new installation folder.

:salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »

no you can copy the full game except for those files skuzzy mentioned.  me I just download the full game again, just in case and copy the settings folders (minus those filed mentioned), the gunsight folder, maps, skins, and sounds.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 03:58:01 AM »
We do endeavor to update those files, but many times on a copy, players move them from read-only media and forget to update the permissions of the files so we can write to them again.  Or some stupid security/anti-xxxx program stops us from updating our own files.

So to put this in plain words, AH will attempt to refresh those settings automatically after a copy. Problems come only on certain conditions. That's why it's often successful to just copy the whole folder from a USB stick for example.