Author Topic: Graphic Card Technical Issues  (Read 2445 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Graphic Card Technical Issues
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
So to put this in plain words, AH will attempt to refresh those settings automatically after a copy. Problems come only on certain conditions. That's why it's often successful to just copy the whole folder from a USB stick for example.

but won't it be easier to delete the files?   Just in case?   like I said before you gonna go another 3 pages over why you are right.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »
but won't it be easier to delete the files?   Just in case?   like I said before you gonna go another 3 pages over why you are right.

semp

Yes no harm done in deleting the files and probably is the best practice to do so. My point was that not deleting those files does not automatically equal a broken AH as you implied.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
Yes no harm done in deleting the files and probably is the best practice to do so. My point was that not deleting those files does not automatically equal a broken AH as you implied.

I didn't imply what you mentioned,  however you did imply that there won't be a problem if you don't delete them.   page 1, 4 more to go.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Do I have to quote you on what you said?

wrong again.  It will not work.

semp

As Skuzzy and I told you, it will work unless you prevent AH from resetting the user settings.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
Semp, it appears you are trying to add pages to correct.    Come on, let's try to keep it civil so this doesn't get locked.  :salute
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
No need to post specs. You stated it can't work even in a similar computer. Which files *need* to be deleted and what do they control? Joystick settings do not *need* to be deleted for example. View settings do not *need* to be deleted. Video settings in most cases (if ever) do not *need* to be deleted, only reconfigured when starting the game on a new computer.

To my knowledge AH2 contains no files that would prevent from starting the game on another computer, reconfigure settings to your liking and start playing. Which files and settings in your opinion require deleting?

Yes no harm done in deleting the files and probably is the best practice to do so. My point was that not deleting those files does not automatically equal a broken AH as you implied. .

I once copied the entire folder when I added a new hd and used my first one as my data hd.  it didnt work.  so in my own experience it does happen.  while it didnt  happen in your experience and others.  however I do agree with your quoted statement once skuzzy posted the files as being the best practice.  while it may not hurt but why take a chance?

it's like when i got my evo ssd.  I tried to migrate the os and data.  guess what it didnt work as the os wouldnt boot.  while there's thousands of others who tried and it did.  I tried it 3 times.  finally i just reinstalled the os, copied the ah folder, minus the mentioned files and had no problems whatsoever.

in this situation based on my experience it doesnt work.  in yours it does.  nobody is really wrong.  :salute

semp

semp

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
I was wrong once.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
in this situation based on my experience it doesnt work.  in yours it does.  nobody is really wrong.  :salute
semp

semp, in the case of the ssd I can tell you why it failed and how to fix it. It's just a matter of knowing what went wrong.

I think if you read through this entire thread you can figure out why moving the AH installation sometimes fails, also.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
semp, in the case of the ssd I can tell you why it failed and how to fix it. It's just a matter of knowing what went wrong.

I think if you read through this entire thread you can figure out why moving the AH installation sometimes fails, also.

of course you can figure it out, but wont the easiest way is the best way sometimes?  for example moving the ah installation requires to check those 5 files as being read only, on the other hand it takes 10 seconds to just remove them and let ah rebuild them.

as for the ssd, the fastest way was to just install windows all over which took me about 15 minutes and also got rid of some clutter I had in the older version.  for example some drivers that I had used in the past but werent completely clean would have been also moved.  the first time I was able to sucessfully transfer the os to the ssd, i had the same problem of my x55 throttle not being recognized which is the reason i got the ssd to begin with.  I could probably have researched and fixed it, but a new installation was easier and it immediately recognized the throttle.

sometimes it's better to start all over of course you could have learned a thing or two but then again was it really worth the time spending learning that thing or two?  for some it would, but for me it wasnt as I dont have a lot of time to really play aces high due to my work.

point is do what is easiest for you.  either way is right.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
I think if I had to do that very often I would probably backup to a USB, so it could be restored more quickly.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
I think if I had to do that very often I would probably backup to a USB, so it could be restored more quickly.

i got my from an usb.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 02:46:42 AM »
of course you can figure it out, but wont the easiest way is the best way sometimes?  for example moving the ah installation requires to check those 5 files as being read only, on the other hand it takes 10 seconds to just remove them and let ah rebuild them.

as for the ssd, the fastest way was to just install windows all over which took me about 15 minutes and also got rid of some clutter I had in the older version.  for example some drivers that I had used in the past but werent completely clean would have been also moved.  the first time I was able to sucessfully transfer the os to the ssd, i had the same problem of my x55 throttle not being recognized which is the reason i got the ssd to begin with.  I could probably have researched and fixed it, but a new installation was easier and it immediately recognized the throttle.

sometimes it's better to start all over of course you could have learned a thing or two but then again was it really worth the time spending learning that thing or two?  for some it would, but for me it wasnt as I dont have a lot of time to really play aces high due to my work.

point is do what is easiest for you.  either way is right.

semp

I think it's a smart idea to reinstall windows in general if you switch from a regular hdd to an SSD. Windows will make several optimizations to it's function automatically when it detects the SSD during install. I'm not aware if it does optimizations post install. Windows 8 is naturally the most SSD friendly of the Microsoft OSes.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Resolution!!!!

Thanks everyone for the attempts to help and for the information to research.

1.  My Graphic card did burn out.  The bearings needed repacking.
2.  My new card was good but my OS couldn't pick up the drivers for whatever reason.
3.  I installed a new OS (Windows 7 from Windows Vista).
4.  The new OS picked up the drivers immediately.
5.  The ONLY issue I had was getting my sound card to pick up again, which it did, I just had to set it back to the way I had it.  No issues.

RESOLVED!!!

:rock
SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
 :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »
Resolution!!!!

Thanks everyone for the attempts to help and for the information to research.

1.  My Graphic card did burn out.  The bearings needed repacking.
2.  My new card was good but my OS couldn't pick up the drivers for whatever reason.
3.  I installed a new OS (Windows 7 from Windows Vista).
4.  The new OS picked up the drivers immediately.
5.  The ONLY issue I had was getting my sound card to pick up again, which it did, I just had to set it back to the way I had it.  No issues.

RESOLVED!!!

:rock
SlipKnoT

Grats!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC