Author Topic: Why aren't there force feedback joysticks anymore?  (Read 814 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Why aren't there force feedback joysticks anymore?
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »
Haven't played AH hardly at all for the past year.  But now winter is upon me, it's gonna get cold, and dark, and I'll be spending a lot more time indoors.

So anyway, I was thinking about playing some more this winter, and that got me to thinking about getting a better joystick.

So answer me this.  How come all the mid-high end joysticks like the X-55 and CH do not have force feedback?   There was the Logitech G940, but it seems they discontinued it and used ones are selling for astronomical prices.

I mean force feedback technology has been around for a long time now, with advances in tech and manufacture it should be cheaper and better then ever, most flight sims support it, it would seem that it would add to the immersion...  so why is no one making them?

I want to upgrade to a HOTAS, and the stick I'm really looking at now is the X-55, but no force feedback.  In looking at other Saitek products they have force feedback in their racing wheels (G27) in that price range, why not in joysticks?  I would even pay $50-$75 more for something like the X-55 with FF, seems odd to me.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Why aren't there force feedback joysticks anymore?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
Good luck.  It seems every joystick maker has gotten away from force feedback.  My FrankenG940 is still living but is a bit buggy... if there were a new option out there I'd likely jump on it just for insurance.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Good luck.  It seems every joystick maker has gotten away from force feedback.  My FrankenG940 is still living but is a bit buggy... if there were a new option out there I'd likely jump on it just for insurance.

Cost of manufacturing and lack of demand is the main reason.  That's why CH discontinued the CH Force FX and Microsoft discontinued the Sidewinder FF (and their entire joystick line).

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
I think there is space for a niche market in really good FF controls, I saw a kickstarter campaign for a control yoke. One issue is most people don't understand that FF flight controls are about trim and control forces not cheesy vibration effects, and most people don't care. You would really need good trim wheels in addition to the controls to get the full effect. Cost though for something good is probably more than the computer to run it costs.

I bought a MSFS FF Sidewinder from Goodwill for 6.99 so you can still get a used one.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Cost of manufacturing and lack of demand is the main reason.  That's why CH discontinued the CH Force FX and Microsoft discontinued the Sidewinder FF (and their entire joystick line).

ack-ack

That's a shame.  A nicely tuned force feedback stick makes flying a lot more enjoyable and precise for me. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline KOOL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
I'm still using a Microsoft FF2 joystick that's getting pretty old but still works great. If that one should ever breakdown I have another one still in an unopened box as a spare.  :aok
Salute!
KOOL
327th Steel Talons