Author Topic: A-10 Being Retired.  (Read 1745 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: A-10 Being Retired.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
Piloted drones are not the future. Autonomous machines with the authority to kill is the future, and that future is closer than most people think.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
I don't get it.

A-10s replaced by F-35s?

Seriously?

So, we'll have F-35s attacking tanks (well, not for the foreseeable future...) supported by the Royal Navy flying interdiction missions (well, not for the foreseeable future...) and the RAAF flying bombing sorties (well, not for the foreseeable future...)

All eggs, meet the basket.

Russkies and Chinese must be laughing their tulips off.

(C'mon, seriously? A-10 really out, in favour of the F-35? Seriously?)
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »
Here's a short video about the warthogs design. [urlThe story of the A-10 and why the F-35 cannot replace it.
http://wimp.com/storyreplace/][/url]
Pies not kicks.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 01:01:59 AM »
Oh God, not Pierre Sprey again!  :bhead
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »
I've been a HOG lover all my life, and I have never seen anything come close to being better at its roll. One day someone may make a better aircraft, but as i see it, the trend to build crap and make it "stealthy" sells... so i don't see a replacement for it soon...

The A-10 is in the area of the B-52, its damned good at its job because damned smart people worked on making it. People who know a work week was not 36-hrs long, and a job wasn't just for the amount of money you could get from it.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 07:33:42 AM »
ok, I am going to be the stupid one in the room - That pic in the OP is not an A10.  Not sure I get the point of the pic.

Thanks

<flame suit on>

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
ok, I am going to be the stupid one in the room - That pic in the OP is not an A10.  Not sure I get the point of the pic.

Thanks

<flame suit on>

The pic is of the F-35...the A-10 replacement  :cheers:

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »
Oh God, not Pierre Sprey again!  :bhead

Hey, it's America. PT Barnum, Steve Jobs, etc.
Pies not kicks.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:44:31 AM »
I wish people wouldn't listen to everything they find on the internet.
Top Gun

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
I've been a HOG lover all my life, and I have never seen anything come close to being better at its roll.

What is its roll rate?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
Use to love watching the 111th FW Hogs outta Willow Grove NAS.   I once watched a pair of A10s make lower level passes over Lake Nockamixon here in PA ...... They hung out around the lake for what seems like half an hr   Those guys were having a blast.      Very sad news indeed.  I kinda liked living in a world where I was protected by such a wonderful aircraft.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
absolutely makes no sense at all the A10 it's probably one of the best close air support for our people on the ground besides the egg beaters flying around.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
For the cost of less than a squadron of F-35's, we are giving up the absolute best CAS aircraft, bar none.  What an absolute crock of crap and a waste of money.

The F-35 program is an abysmal failure.  The aircraft is never going to meet it's expectations as a catch all, do all.  The US and other participants were fools for agreeing to this garbage.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
First off Im not a fan of retiring it because the costs of keeping them flying is minimal.

But it is a different world and a different tactical environment compared to when the A10 first flew. 1976 is the Year I graduated HS and the year USAF first started fielding them. At the time there were no precision ground support weapons. No drones. No precision artillery. Smart shells for USN ships....ect Some of the shells seek out enemy armor on their own. We have an awful lot of ways to kill tanks now, with high precision, that we didnt have in the '70s. AND support troops on the ground.

We all know the real reason the A10 is going. Im just saying its a different reality now almost 40 years later, not that i agree with it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"