Author Topic: HQ Downtime should be tied to 25% fuel reduction - Reasons Why  (Read 2301 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: HQ Downtime should be tied to 25% fuel reduction - Reasons Why
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
Sure there are childish griefers who cackle imagining people getting POed by their behavior but I don't think that is the universal reason for attacking HQ.

So you think the guys who keep doing it and bragging about it are the outliers? 

If anything, I wouldn't do it today because I see how annoying it is.

I destroyed it once when I was a noob.  After realizing how much it sucks on the receiving end, I never did again.  How many of those that are repeatedly bombing it of late are ignorant of this effect?  There aren't all that many noobs in bombers these days.   

The attraction of hitting HQ is that it is one of the few things you can do with a bomber by yourself that is challenging and has a big win/fail payoff.

There is one big payoff: one player pissing off the other team. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
Other than the necessary comparison to "lights out, your HQ is down" to fuel reduction, I was hoping to discuss an alternative action generated by destroying the HQ, not to repeat the same arguments again about why it is done.

If my idea of reduced fuel or someone else's idea that does NOT include "lights out" does not become the focus of this thread then, I would not mind it being smooshed over to the wishlist or locked.

:salute All for good discussions, I just don't think we need another thread about HQ raiders suck, whether or not I agree with it or am one myself.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
This is the general unintended consequence of making any object into a country wide choke hold that a single player can control the fun of a whole country beyond 15-30 minutes. Especially with low numbers and how most players have started to realize how much they rely on DAR as an integral part of their $14.95.

If this is driving paying subscribers from the game, driving them out of the MA when their numbers are sorely needed, or magnifying the already unwillingness to engage in combat. It has to change just like when Hitech created ENY over night.

Once our mega strat moved in response to the capturing of territory. Just like as the Germans moved into Russia, the Russian factories were moved in response to the east. Start out with the distributed strat. As territory is captured, move those strat farther back closer to the HQ, and closer to each other. Make the HQ downtime max 30 minutes without resupply.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »
This is the general unintended consequence of making any object into a country wide choke hold that a single player can control the fun of a whole country beyond 15-30 minutes. Especially with low numbers and how most players have started to realize how much they rely on DAR as an integral part of their $14.95.

If this is driving paying subscribers from the game, driving them out of the MA when their numbers are sorely needed, or magnifying the already unwillingness to engage in combat. It has to change just like when Hitech created ENY over night.

Once our mega strat moved in response to the capturing of territory. Just like as the Germans moved into Russia, the Russian factories were moved in response to the east. Start out with the distributed strat. As territory is captured, move those strat farther back closer to the HQ, and closer to each other. Make the HQ downtime max 30 minutes without resupply.

If that still means a darbar blackout, I will be logged out for at least 30 minutes. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
I still like my proposal  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Fuel being down a percentage has no effect on Me163s as their fuel is hard coded.  It had to be on the 200% fuel consumption would make it useless.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
What is this... Radar everyone speaks of  :headscratch:

:devil

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Fuel being down a percentage has no effect on Me163s as their fuel is hard coded. 

The consumption] is hardcoded, but the fuel loadout is not.
The fuel burn is 2.0 no matter what any arena settings are, but the plane can take only three quarters of a tank if fuel is limited to 75%. It's a significant reduction in fighting endurance for this plane, and some well-led squads had used this to their advantage in the past.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »
As we all remember, once upon a time in Aces High Land, magical flying unicorns could rebuild the HQ so fast it wasn't worth bombing. I have faith that players knowing 30minutes max regardless of their efforts, they will be more than willing to put on their magical unicorn suits and bring light back to their country.

I've spent hours in my magical unicorn suit accomplishing almost nothing after the strat were distributed and players discovered how to make the most of them. This has to change because our game is not, Aces High the Premier Air Cargo Simulation on the Internet.

Game play is out of balance and now reaching into our forum, creating discord between previously cordial rivals. This POST is showing a unified concern for a problem as opposed to the usual airing of personal indignities and fratricidal personality combat.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
Free your mind.  Think of the HQ blackout as excellent practice for the FSO's.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
Free your mind.  Think of the HQ blackout as excellent practice for the Scenarios.

Fixed!  ;)
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »
Free your mind.  Think of the HQ blackout as excellent practice for the FSO's.

Like the majority of AH players, I don't fly FSO, nor any other scenario.

Keep your practice to your arenas  :old:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
Ya know what Dale. You need to fix this HQ radar crap. You are really making the core playerbase mad with this. They are leaving because what few fights there are left to be had can't be found. There are more bases on a map than players and HT continually seems to find new and interesting ways for players to avoid any kind of air combat whatsoever (88s, 5", no radar).

+1
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
What is this... Radar everyone speaks of  :headscratch:

I am sending you the bill for this monitor, the one with the coffee all over it.

:devil
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
Triple damage required to 112.500 lb, set HQ downtime to 30 minutes fixed - no modifier, no resupply.  :old:

Sorry Lusche I did not respond earlier to your suggestion.

I do agree that would improve the "lights out" discussion, and it is a very simple remedy. But to most of us, 30 minutes without an opportunity to resupply is about 25 minutes too long (actually, I agree with Caldera it is 30 mins too long).

Now, what I had hoped for was something different, the best of both worlds.  Bombers would still be encouraged to attack the HQ and have a worthy result of their efforts.  Most everyone can agree there is a balance problem between effort to take down HQ and the damage to quality play time for the affected country. 

Lusche your solution just simply adjusts the bar (no pun intended).  What it doesn't address is a blank map showing no activity other than a base flashing here or there.   Thank you for your thoughtful response Lusche and bear with me, I like what you proposed but want the challenge to game play to be in the air or behind the dash or gun of some type, not in the ability of part time cartoon pilots to divulge strategic information via keyboard or range vox (note: breaking my own rule here).

Is there a viable alternative that does NOT involve loss of radar for a country when HQ goes down?