Author Topic: Could you imagine...  (Read 1509 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Re: Could you imagine...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
I remember the 600+ nights well, that's the reason I'm sticking around and still subbing after all these years, I'm hopeful the new version will be both good enough to attract new players over from WT and elsewhere, as well as bring old/retired/etc players whom have been lurking about back out of the woodwork.  I think HTC can get there, altering some game policies and gameplay stuff may not hurt either, but I still think everything standing pat as it is, with a new version without any new gameplay adjustments, stands a decent change of pumping the numbers back to the days of yore.

Somebody mentioned in another thread something about adding small infantry groups.  I've made that suggestion years ago myself.  Squad sized units controlled with the old FPS "wsad" system, with various armament selections (anti infantry, anti armor, etc).  Also it would give the jeep and other infantry vehicles more of a purpose in the game, plus adding towed artillery would be very cool for attacking towns and such.  It would add a huge fun dynamic to the game, and IMO, THIS feature could attract a lot of players, especially if it was made free to play.  Infantry guys playing for free would see what fun the rest of would be having strafing them, bombing them, and crunching them with tanks, that it would IMO probably add at least 10 percent of these free guys to the paying roster, which I think would be a profitable venture bandwidth cost wise and such.  Just an idea, but I think it would be great fun, and give more meaning to the existing ground units, and ground attack units as well.  I don't know beans about the coding of the game, but I'll bet that it would pretty easy for HT to implement such a feature, and would again, add a massively fun new dimension to the game, something that could be ftp and would absolutely attract piles of potential new subscribers to the full game.  

I know it's against some of the ethos and policy of what I've read from HTC way back about not opening up a premium subscription based game to the masses, but times have changed in the world of net gaming enough IMO to warrant such a venture.  Look at the WoT and WT numbers, they are insane.  Then look at Eve, a game with nearly 100k subscribers.  Then the new Star Citizen venture, with 500k investors at 50 million bucks.  I believe a blending of these idea with something along the lines of what I just described could only help propel HTC forward.  With larger numbers, a ton of the negative waves from various players over various issues would take care of themselves for the most part IMO.

Good point.  Be willing to pay 15 a month to fly planes.  Or free to gv and have fps.    Make it kinda like Arma 2. With guns. 

Right now the market is wide open for a WWll FPS.  Not only that but you will have better graphics than Europe at war. Or whatever the name of that game is. 

I have $300 to give to a kick starter campaign for that.   How much you guys willing to chip in
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
Make Spit I free.  But only 25% fuel. Lol :)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
Make Spit I free.  But only 25% fuel. Lol :)

Would it be that terrible to have anything 40 ENY free, no ords?  Just trying to imagine what the arena would look like with masses of free players.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
I know it's against some of the ethos and policy of what I've read from HTC way back about not opening up a premium subscription based game to the masses, but times have changed in the world of net gaming enough IMO to warrant such a venture.  Look at the WoT and WT numbers, they are insane.  Then look at Eve, a game with nearly 100k subscribers.  Then the new Star Citizen venture, with 500k investors at 50 million bucks.  I believe a blending of these idea with something along the lines of what I just described could only help propel HTC forward.  With larger numbers, a ton of the negative waves from various players over various issues would take care of themselves for the most part IMO.
Or offer player controllable destroyers and submarines and open up the naval side?  Or add player controllable landing ships that act as spawn points for tanks and ground vehicles...or FPS troops like you mentioned?

I think Dale and Doug could really expand the game and dramatically increase the player base with this new graphics engine by offering a more dynamic game-play with Air, Sea, and Land elements.  And with the increased player base generating more revenue, they can add more builders and designers to make the game even more better.

And then Hitech can get all the Scotch whiskey he wants, and Pyro can finally buy that island off Costa Rica.
But what do we know Gman? ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:55:31 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Subs have been a wishlist thing since Hitech first brought them up on the BBS probably 14 or 15 years ago, for me at least.  I know HT's father is an x-submariner that was in the pacific on a US boat.  Pretty cool stuff.  It'd be just another great addition that is possible, which would only serve to expand the greater game at large IMO.  What could be better than the old Microprose Silent Service vs real life opponents: make the destoryers have actual ASW WW2 technology like early sonar and depth charges and ASW mortars and the like.  Stalking CV groups with your sub, using sonar and periscope and such.  ASW missions from all the various aircraft of WW2 that performed that mission, dropping depth bombs, skip bombs, and fighting them off with deck 20 and 40mm guns.  So much potential is still out there, I hope there is rapid success with the new version which keeps the lit fire under HTC burning hot - if that ends up being the case, the sky is the limit IMO.

I do still believe strongly that the time has come to blend both FTP and subscription in this game.  There isn't many games out there that would have something like this, a FTP set of units like my infantry/ground idea, and I also could get behind what others just mentioned, maybe the Storch and a couple really really high ENY planes that would be free with 25 percent fuel from certain bases or something for the FTP crowd.  That is a great idea whoever just mentioned that, another great vehicle for hooking FTP clients into the "meat" of this game, which is still the fighters and bombers and their superb flight, damage, and armament models and the combat which results from that.  I truly hope HTC is considering something like this, as there is no better time to strike than right now IMO, what with the response that Star Citizen has gotten, and the fact that there is only one competitor, WT, which has nothing on AH in terms of current and future potential gameplay.  

Another idea I have, which will be controversial I'll bet, but is current with the times with online gaming, is things like perk points and perhaps some very specialized aircraft, available for extra costs.  I know a lot of the "fairness" brigade won't like this, but in terms of a revenue function, allowing subscribers to pay on a sliding scale for single use or even stockpiles of points, whatever form they be in, is a force all its own nowadays so far as driving customer retention and commitment.  World of Tanks does this, while not being a monthly sub type of game, there is the ability to spend real life $ to get points others choose to grind out in real life time for.  Again, controversial, but overall a very good feature IMO for the health of the company.  I would in a second personally spend an extra 10 or 20 bucks or whatever for a couple thousand perk points in order to fly the 262 or perhaps future stuff like the P51H, or the L/W Arrow - stuff like that.  Again, it'd be a huge change from how things are done now, and as many long term guys wouldn't necessarily be fans of it, with new players, it serves as a feature that further invests them into playing the game, and to keep playing it.  Just my opinion, not a feature high on the list for me personally, but I've heard others mention it and feel that it should be put on the table at the very least.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:15:43 PM by Gman »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
If the MA had over 1000+ people in it?

I often wonder how the game would be if that was the case.  :joystick: :airplane: :uhoh

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »

I often wonder how the game would be if that was the case.  :joystick: :airplane: :uhoh
back in the day, sunday nights would have close to 1000.... I'm pretty sure I saw over 900 one time...

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
Would it be that terrible to have anything 40 ENY free, no ords?  Just trying to imagine what the arena would look like with masses of free players.

Wiley.

I would be all for it.   More targets.   Expanded opportunity to addict new players.  It would pull old timers back in...seeing higher numbers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:18:08 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
Say they could have 35 eny on up with ord full fuel tanks.  Make me fill a little better about the slaughter
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »

I would just drool to see 400-600 on
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
I think if you set up a feebie plane set, a few midwar fighters a tank or two and a buff or two as well as the goon you could draw a lot of players in with that and the new graphics and a bit of advertising. Sure I'd bet a number of people would quit their subscriptions to be happy with free and a very limited plane set, but I think the new paying subscriptions would more than make up for it, plus you would have all those midwar rides flopping around out there  :devil

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
I think if you set up a feebie plane set, a few midwar fighters a tank or two and a buff or two as well as the goon you could draw a lot of players in with that and the new graphics and a bit of advertising. Sure I'd bet a number of people would quit their subscriptions to be happy with free and a very limited plane set, but I think the new paying subscriptions would more than make up for it, plus you would have all those midwar rides flopping around out there  :devil

something like the AvA Limited plane set limited ground vehicles, Planeset and terrain rotates once a week. paid members would also be able to fly in the same arena if they say so choose too.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:34 PM »

An exceptionally good idea. The new crew get the bait and get hooked and then once addicted like the rest of us front up to MA. That would also mean that there would be some acquired skill before they got into the MA as well and they wouldn't be so easily dissuaded from throwing their hands up with a collective "too hard".

Bravo
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
An exceptionally good idea. The new crew get the bait and get hooked and then once addicted like the rest of us front up to MA. That would also mean that there would be some acquired skill before they got into the MA as well and they wouldn't be so easily dissuaded from throwing their hands up with a collective "too hard".

Bravo

I would do this in all arenas. If the free loaders want to hide in ew,  or mw that will help the population in those arenas. If they fly in the mains they get to see everything going on. They have all the time they need to get use to the game as well as learning how to fly and fight. On top of that they will be more targets.

I think the frustration level for a new player would be less as they aren't wasting money getting their butts handed to them.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:14:06 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
Think it would be a good idea to offer like 6 months free with a one year commitment.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.