Author Topic: Just a thought..  (Read 1718 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Just a thought..
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:55 AM »
I've been out of the game for a while. Still tune into the boards, though. Have the desire to come back, but I don't think I'll be pursuing the start of a squad or bomb group again. Still too many other things going on.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 03:26:13 AM »
I can  :airplane:  to just about any enemy base and start a fight. I don't care how many are on someone will up to engage you in a battle. There are some good 1v1 or 1v2 battles that way. You sound like a follower just going where the rest of the group goes.

No, I think the game has become stale for most of them. Anyone's who's been playing for awhile, has to admit the game has changed. People are gonna play it they way they see fit. Personally I hate the new style that has taken hold in the MA. It's harder and harder to find a decent fight where I can hone my skills. Rather.. most nites I just feel like a rabbit in a pack of foxes, zigging and zagging, neck on a swivel just trying to survive. You finally maneuver onto somebody's six.. and you're picked off.  

Im sticking around in hopes that Hitec has put so much time into this new graphics update, that he'll want to make the other changes that SO many players have recommended in order to save the game. (I personally don't believe prettier trees and water are gonna do it)  Until then, i'll keep myself happy searching the skies for decent 1v1's and trying out the special events.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
<snip> Personally I hate the new style that has taken hold in the MA. It's harder and harder to find a decent fight where I can hone my skills. Rather.. most nites I just feel like a rabbit in a pack of foxes, zigging and zagging, neck on a swivel just trying to survive. You finally maneuver onto somebody's six.. and you're picked off.  
Get out of that spit and get off the deck.  A Spit can't catch a cold... 

While I am not saying you are one of them, but I hear a lot of Spit players saying they are being ganged, and it's no surprise.  I have a lot of 1v1, 1v2's, but the happen over 10K, and in a plane that isn't a turny bird...  Branch out a little and you may find the fights you are looking for.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:35:54 AM »
Get out of that spit and get off the deck.  A Spit can't catch a cold...  

While I am not saying you are one of them, but I hear a lot of Spit players saying they are being ganged, and it's no surprise.  I have a lot of 1v1, 1v2's, but the happen over 10K, and in a plane that isn't a turny bird...  Branch out a little and you may find the fights you are looking for.

I was locked in a fight 10k over and a little north of an enemy base in my mossy fighting a 39 for a few mins and having fun, when a pony jumped in and decided to join the fight I wound up targeting the pony after he missed his shot, pulled in behind and took his wing off. Before re-engaging the 39 and killing him. Copped a PM having a go at me for needing alt to do anything... From the pony driver lol.

Dweebs like that drive people out of the game.

I left a couple years ago as I was over the bananas. Came back after about 9 months later feeling better than I had for a long time.

I don't think people leaving is about trying to hurry the new terrains, I think it's more about people who need to step away for a while after they hit the wall, as all long term players need to do from time to time
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:40:54 AM by Tracers »
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Fenin

• Zinc Member
      • Instant Rimshot sound effect, play it after every post I make
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:52 AM »
I was locked in a fight 10k over and a little north of an enemy base in my mossy fighting a 39 for a few mins and having fun, when a pony jumped in and decided to join the fight I wound up targeting the pony after he missed his shot, pulled in behind and took his wing off. Before re-engaging the 39 and killing him. Copped a PM having a go at me for needing alt to do anything... From the pony driver lol.

Hey, I think I might have been that 39 you were talking about.  It was a pretty good fight.  Just the thing I need to get better in the Airacobra.

On the subject of people leaving and coming back after updates I suppose I can't say much.  I've played Aces High on and off in spurts since the summer of 2006.  When I could get away with it.  I always got the feeling to come back after aircraft additions, generally it was only to try out the aircraft offline though.  I definitely never felt the need to say bye though, as I'm obviously not a very active forum member. 

But when it comes to things like people posting about leaving I have to agree with Bozon here.

They are leaving to get the torrent of salutes, then fly as shades.
Everyone would like to witness their own funeral.

Though, this isn't always true, I would assume
hmu on Discord at Fenny - Feebulous#8008, or don't.  Idc

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 10:35:06 AM »
They are leaving to get the torrent of salutes, then fly as shades.
Everyone would like to witness their own funeral.

Some truly quit, but that is a normal cycle for the players population. Chances are that if they played this game for more than a year they'll be back. I dont remember how many times I quit. In fact, I am going to quit now and resubscribe tomorrow evening. To all the great AH players and HTC <S>  :salute Perhaps we shall meet again.

To point one, this is a disappointing reality.  But there are some circumstances where an identity change is good for everybody.

Point two, the downward membership curves in AH correspond generally to the state of the economy.  Aces High is only 16 bucks a month you might say.  And maybe a little more per month to maintain an internet connection.  And a little bit more to replace a broken joystick, a blown motherboard, an obsolete GPU...

So things add up and if a person is out of work, or had to take less hours, or take a second job to make ends meet, then you have a much more sobering reason for resignations and a 'feeling' that the game is dying.  I agree with 'more than a year'.  Mastery of this game is hard earned...like an investment.  Few would want to walk away from that forever.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
People leave when they finally realize that they have been sitting on their arses staring at a screen getting fat for far too long, wasting precious and unrecoverable time in real life. Long time gaming is a recipe for disfunction and an early demise, especially when you are older and retired. We have all been guilty of this. For the addicted and long time gamers, health, the family or lifestyle usually pays a price.....

....there is no investment.....no benefit......nothing......the time and money spent in here is wasted.......thats the reality.....people finally realize this and leave......

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:05:40 PM by Canspec »

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
I understand.

I have been on the rough edges of that myself.  In other words, I have experience.

The wise (and willful) will seek a balance in life.  Which is what you didn't say.

The investment I speak of is analogous to any acquired skill or knowledge.

"Find the Balance" is a watch phrase for the guys I fly with.  I have, more than once, been called down for large jumps in my on-line hours.  I am accountable to my family and real life, of course.  But I am grateful for on-line friends that have permission to nudge each other for over-indulgence.

I submit that it's GOOD to see and confront addiction.  My point here is "finding the balance" is critical to all aspects of life and playing a game a few hours a week should not be precluded from that balance.  It is the assumption I made for the 'investment' example.

Since you are still posting on this board, you still have an affinity and concern about the community.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
People leave when they finally realize that they have been sitting on their arses staring at a screen getting fat for far too long, wasting precious and unrecoverable time in real life. Long time gaming is a recipe for disfunction and an early demise, especially when you are older and retired. We have all been guilty of this. For the addicted and long time gamers, health, the family or lifestyle usually pays a price.....

....there is no investment.....no benefit......nothing......the time spent in here is wasted.......thats the reality.....people finally realize this and leave......

not sure if serious or joking  :headscratch:

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »

....there is no investment.....no benefit......nothing......the time and money spent in here is wasted.......thats the reality.....people finally realize this and leave......

Absolutely ridiculous, unless this is about you personally Canspec.  This is a game, we all get that.  Is going to the park and playing chess also a complete waste of time?  How about reading a book.  Both of those examples and Aces high is about being a consumer, enjoying what you have earned.  While I grant you, we are not producers because we play Aces High, it is certainly more than just a waste of time and money.  Either that or everything you do that is not producing something is also a waste of time.  Sorry, no it does not work that way.

On the other hand, if you receive no value from playing Aces High, (happiness, friendship, fun, etc>), maybe you should look back to yourself and see if Aces High is good for you.  If it isn't then change something, but in the mean time, speak for yourself.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
Well....I have recently heard that surgeons who played video games have a better quality and completion time rate over non video game playing surgeons.....so maybe I'm a little off on the benefit one.....and I do believe that spatial thinking can be enhanced by certain types of game play......so maybe time spent in here is not wasted......hmmm.........

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
not sure if serious or joking  :headscratch:

This is the beauty of the bulletin board.....

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
Dang.  i just read my post, and it came off way to harsh, not my intention, sorry Canspec <S>

I won't edit the post because I think it would be disingenuous.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Dang.  i just read my post, and it came off way to harsh, not my intention, sorry Canspec <S>

I won't edit the post because I think it would be disingenuous.

No need to apologize...I expressed a challenging opinion and you responded.......making people think and challenge what they see and hear could be a benefit to this game.....hmmm..............di sigenuous is too big a word for me so I had to look it up.....

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »

So you are telling me 90% of my life is a lie...sigh,

Hehehehe

I have learned some ACM so I wouldn't call it a 100% lie ;)

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion