Author Topic: P-38L paint scheme WW2 photo for skin  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P-38L paint scheme WW2 photo for skin
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
Greebo suggested I post a thread asking for a WW2 photo of particular paint scheme for a P-38L.  

The Honey Bunny and a few other modern replica paint schemes paint the spinner and the engine nacelle front and chin scoop fairing as you can see in the Honey Bunny picture.  In my internet search, I could not find a WW2 paint scheme that included the  engine nacelle front and chin scoop fairing as being painted.  

Does anyone have a WW2  picture with the engine nacelle front and chin scoop faring being painted as part of the paint scheme?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:21:46 PM by Randy1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-38L paint scheme WW2 photo for skin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:41:59 AM »
Most pictures I have fitting that description are mostly J models I don't think I have any L's at all like that.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »
Most pictures I have fitting that description are mostly J models I don't think I have any L's at all like that.

Thank you for looking.  It is such a neat scheme but it may have been too bold for combat.  I am assuming the Js with the paint scheme were fully painted and not the bare metal finish of the L?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Thank you for looking.  It is such a neat scheme but it may have been too bold for combat.  I am assuming the Js with the paint scheme were fully painted and not the bare metal finish of the L?

I have both on the J's.
Also I did find what your after.
The 370TH fighter group seems to have what you want.

http://www.aviationspectator.com/image/photos/military-aircraft/warbirds/lockheed-p-38-lightning/lockheed-p-38-lightning-6

There is others that are bare metal from this unit but I am not sure if they are J or L models.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »
What Lyric1 said.  370th is your best bet if you are looking for red spinners and a bit of the cowling painted.  20th FG had white and then yellow painted spinners and cowls.  Problem is you'd have to be a J driver as the 38Ls didn't get there until roughly October 44 and by that time the 38 was all but gone from the ETO outside of the the few 9th AF Groups still flying them in ground attack.  They more often then not got the hand me downs as the 8th gave up the 38 and the 474th FG of the 9th AF got the hand me downs from the 367th and 370th to be the only Group to fly the 38 until the end of the war in the ETO.  They didn't get a lot of L models as they went to the Pacific and MTO.  You can still find early J models flying with the 474th at the end of the war, without power assisted controls and dive flaps.  Didn't need em when you were ground pounding apparently :)

The 3 MTO 38 groups only had red spinners as a theater ID marking.

Honey Bunny is a kinda sorta attempt at a 9th AF 38 with the partial invasion stripes etc.  But it has no squadron or group markings and is nothing more than a warbird owners wish for a paint job.

This is from the 370th FG history, the same place as the profile Lyric1 posted came from.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:56:38 AM »

Also I did find what your after.
The 370TH fighter group seems to have what you want.

That's super.  Pretty close.  You guys are good.  I did a google on the 370th now I have a lot to look to go from.

The J's do have closer fit Guppy and Lyric but I am going to stick with the L.

I really appreciate y'all digging on this request.